Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 16, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #15,721 of 20,602
Your inbox is about to be flooded with messages and that will go on for a month or so if you forget to let us know that the cable is gone. PM incoming 😂
In that case i have a 6 foot arctic cable - signum (used to be called signum+) that i am happy to sell for 1/3 off the price with free shipping (from Australia) - terminated in 4 pin balanced xlr - about $540 USD

(One day i shall put it in the classifieds :) )

Selling as I have moving away from silver cables in my set up…..at least for now

https://www.arcticcables.com/signum

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #15,722 of 20,602
Just to confirm, are Danacable Lazuli Reference cables the best match yet? any other recommendations ?
Not to my ears -- I liked the bit of warmth it added, but felt like it stole some of the Utopia 'magic' (speed and detail).

I've gone to pure silver, and added warmth with my amps.

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #15,723 of 20,602
For weight and bass, amps themselves made a bigger difference. My current setup of the Naim Uniti Atom HE has the most weight and bass of all my previous setups.
How do you compare the Naim HE to the DAVE (directly out of the DAVE into the Utopia)? Any trade offs in soundstage or detail?

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #15,724 of 20,602
How do you compare the Naim HE to the DAVE (directly out of the DAVE into the Utopia)? Any trade offs in soundstage or detail?

I never had to the two at the same time and mostly used the Dave with mscaler. I sold the Chord setup because even at used prices, it was beyond my budget.

If I listened to classical music, Chord would superior due to its precise timing and separation. But for rock music, the Naim has a thicker sound with more weight and find myself following the bass rhythm more. It’s a very enjoyable sound. The resolution is not at the same level but bass has great texture and the drums hit hard.

For the money, I think it’s a great value. The streaming interface great, remote has playback controls, roon has volume and power controls, and it’s just a pleasure to use. But if you are willing to spend over $10k, then yes, the Chord Dave is a better setup especially with the mscaler.

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #15,726 of 20,602
I need to make a decision and finally own these headphones because..
Your significant other uses memes, CHECK.
You have children together, CHECK.

But no, you want Focal Utopia. Head-fi pass granted, welcome.

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #15,728 of 20,602
I want my Utopia... should be this week but customs are sloooow .... :cold_sweat: :sunglasses:

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #15,729 of 20,602
I want my Utopia... should be this week but customs are sloooow .... :cold_sweat: :sunglasses:
I am awaiting delivery of my Focal Utopias.I am currently using Sennheiser HD800 paired with matching HDVA600 amp.I am of course aware of likely mismatch between Utopia and HDVA600.I take it I can still use this combination pending purchase of new amplifier?I would very much appreciate any suggestions for a solid state amp only with balanced connection.I don’t need a DAC as I already have an excellent Linn streamer.Thanks in advance for any responses.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #15,730 of 20,602
I am awaiting delivery of my Focal Utopias.I am currently using Sennheiser HD800 paired with matching HDVA600 amp.I am of course aware of likely mismatch between Utopia and HDVA600.I take it I can still use this combination pending purchase of new amplifier?I would very much appreciate any suggestions for a solid state amp only with balanced connection.I don’t need a DAC as I already have an excellent Linn streamer.Thanks in advance for any responses.

Long time Utopia/Linn Klimax DS user here. For SS look to HeadAmp - either the GSX Mini (takes balanced or se) or GSX MK2 (balanced only)

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #15,731 of 20,602
Your significant other uses memes, CHECK.
You have children together, CHECK.

But no, you want Focal Utopia. Head-fi pass granted, welcome.
Only issue with the Utopia’s is significant other may want to use them and not give back for hours. They can block out the noise of your kids but not as well as a closed headphone. You really need a somewhat quiet environment for the Utopia’s. At times, it had me reconsidering the Stellia just because it could use it in more places.

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #15,733 of 20,602
The Utopias have an advantage that the Stellias don’t: the noise coming out of open-back Utopias repels spouses and kids. Jazz and Steely Dan can create a twenty foot radius of peace and quiet around you.
Good point. I listen mainly to metal ... Maybe a larger radius for me.. :ksc75smile:

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #15,735 of 20,602
You may have the entire house to yourself.
I'd still like my family to stick around... :wink:. Otherwise, who's going to make dinner, lol.

Open backs in my office. Closed backs and IEMs when I'm around others or on the road. But open backs provide the best experience imo. I'm re-watching Utopia review videos... can't wait. The reviews I have seen are mostly favorable, and don't mention an unbearable Odin-like upper mids peak, so that's encouraging... And there's always EQ. So as I said... can't wait. :)

EDIT: the FR curve I'm seeing in the Resolve video does not have that crazy 2-3k peak that I saw two pages back... Pffew.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back