Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #14,746 of 20,592
Coincidentally.. A DSHA-3F has just popped up on my local buy sell.. And it looks beautiful :|

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #14,747 of 20,592
The DSHA-3F would be more expensive than the Liquid Platinum, even when you would consider the additional costs for the capacitor modification, and for the upgraded volume potentiometer.

What do you feel that the DSHA-3F provides that possibly would make it worth it to own that, in comparison to the Liquid Platinum?
I don't have much to add to what I said in the post I provided earlier. At this point it becomes your ears/my ears.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #14,748 of 20,592
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #14,750 of 20,592
I would think something has to be contributing to it. Volume, EQ, or something. I listened to my Utopia at pretty high volume and never had any issues. I wonder if Focal has found anything with the previous drivers that failed that could shed some light on it.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #14,752 of 20,592
Ive had two pairs of Utopia, one for 2-3 years, another for 6 months. no drivers issues so far

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #14,753 of 20,592
@meomap
Do you think there is a very slight chance something in your chain isn't agreeing with the Utopia for whatever reason?
I only ask this because 4 (5?) driver failures is incredibly unlucky.
Let me see.

ALO Studio Six tube amp. Volume is usually 10 to 12 o'clock position. Tube amp connected to AQ 3000 power distribution. All other components connected to AQ 3000 as well. Always lower volume down to zero sound then unplugged Utopia.

Utopia failed 3X in the past even before AQ 3000 comes into the picture.

Nothing Special Below:
There is no common denominator...
People here have ALO Studio Six with Utopia and have no problem.

Downstair == CD player/ Apple laptop + Prima Luna tube DAC + ALO SS amp + Utopia
OR
TT + phono PA + ALO SS amp + Utopia

Upstair == Dell laptop + WA6SE + Utopia

Portable == Sony 1Z or DX220 MAX + Utopia

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #14,757 of 20,592
Let me see.

ALO Studio Six tube amp. Volume is usually 10 to 12 o'clock position. Tube amp connected to AQ 3000 power distribution. All other components connected to AQ 3000 as well. Always lower volume down to zero sound then unplugged Utopia.

Utopia failed 3X in the past even before AQ 3000 comes into the picture.

Nothing Special Below:
There is no common denominator...
People here have ALO Studio Six with Utopia and have no problem.

Downstair == CD player/ Apple laptop + Prima Luna tube DAC + ALO SS amp + Utopia
OR
TT + phono PA + ALO SS amp + Utopia

Upstair == Dell laptop + WA6SE + Utopia

Portable == Sony 1Z or DX220 MAX + Utopia

I use HD600, HD800S, and Aeon C with the same system described earlier with no problem...
Don't use EQ either...
Yeah, I guess I just can't believe how many times you've had failures, so thought just maybe there was something not agreeing with the Utopia in your chain. Just trying to help figure out if it's something besides baad luck, that's all.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #14,758 of 20,592
Yeah, I guess I just can't believe how many times you've had failures, so thought just maybe there was something not agreeing with the Utopia in your chain. Just trying to help figure out if it's something besides baad luck, that's all.
Thanks but I do believe it is bad luck for me.
Thinking about other hp but listening to other brands and still going back to Utopia sound.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #14,759 of 20,592
What's that mean?
do you think that including it in your juggling act might be a contributing factor?
I think he was joking? As in your juggling your Utopia with some bowling pins or something.
1617684840152.png

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #14,760 of 20,592
Thanks but I do believe it is bad luck for me.
Thinking about other hp but listening to other brands and still going back to Utopia sound.
I don't blame you for going back to the Utopia even with your very unfortunate history, after all, it is an exceptional sounding headphone.
Again, hopefully you don't have any issues with your new drivers. I honestly feel bad for you being so inconvenienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back