Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 22, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #14,176 of 20,602
Hey glad to hear you're enjoying that album! Whilst youre at it, her other album from 2019 is really good too.

Was just looking at your signature and wow I've not seen anyone use that kinki headphone amp until now! I keep going back to the kinki website to look at the ex-m1+ but always overlooked their hp amp offering. How do you find that amp?

As for my own experience, I've only ever tried three tube amps - LDii, WA22 and now WA33. The Utopia sounded great with the wa22 but even better with the wa33. However, I have heard from a few friends who have had the pleasure of trying many amps (including the wa33), and several concur that the DNA Stellaris is still the best amp they've heard the Utopia with. Wish I could get my hands on one to try!
Thank you all for the recommendations! I picked the Kinki through ebay as I wanted a powerful amp to run my Hedd phone. However I just could not tolerate the weight of the Hedd for a long audition and I would sweat. My dealer took the Hedd back and upgraded me to the Utopia.
The Kinki is excellent (see 6moons review http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/kinki3/1.html)
with ample power and not overly bright but with a powerful weighty sound.
Clearly much better than my Hugo 2 direct to Utopias, added gravitas, less treble sparkle, bigger soundstage. As per 6moons a great pair for HD800's.
As a long time tube fan (Japanese Mactone Pre amp and 300b power amp in my 2 channel gear) I wanted to hear what the Utopias would sound with a good tube.
A friend of mine lent me a headphone amp by a local DIYer based on 6080s to try. It has too much power (it was aimed to drive his Audeze 4's) too much noise, hum but......it sounds wonderful, voices are so real, there is this soundstage and vitality, much more pleasant listen than the excellent Kinki.
So here my problem is that I have no comparison metric for a tube amp as this is a DIY project, I have no clue how it compares with the tube based head amps that are easy to find in the EU (Feliks Euforia, La Figaro, Ayon etc). I am also curious to try integrated tube amps that feed the headphone output directly from the main circuit Primaluna EVO 300, Leben 300 etc.
My tube journey has only just begun, and I am very happy to share experiences and ideas

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #14,177 of 20,602
Thank you all for the recommendations! I picked the Kinki through ebay as I wanted a powerful amp to run my Hedd phone. However I just could not tolerate the weight of the Hedd for a long audition and I would sweat. My dealer took the Hedd back and upgraded me to the Utopia.
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Heddphone at some point to complement my Utopias. Based on your experience how would you say they compare?

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #14,178 of 20,602
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Heddphone at some point to complement my Utopias. Based on your experience how would you say they compare?
I really liked their sound (I have speakers with a similar Heil tweeter) as very open and balanced mid highs. Does not have the amazing detail of the Utopia but comes close. I would not have given this back if I could tolerate the weight.

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #14,179 of 20,602
Just got a shipment from UPS of ZMF Verite Open headphones; I'll be very interested to see how they compare to my Utopia!

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #14,180 of 20,602
I had the HEDDphone and agree it has a very nice detailed sound. Less treble sparkle but still detailed. However they are huge and pretty heavy. I ultimately sold them and don't really miss them. But for the price, if you can stand the weight, they are very good.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #14,181 of 20,602
Thank you, @Progisus .

A shame that I won't be able to replace the top part of the Lemo with the black one. Still a great looking cable, though.
Why is there an infatuation with the black Lemo connector on the stock cable?
The black Lemo hardly makes its presence known, certainly doesn't look anything special.
The silver Lemo picks up the silver accents from the exterior driver cover, decal etc, and certainly doesn't look out of place - arguably better looking IMO.
Of course when you are using the headphones it doesn't matter in the slightest

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #14,182 of 20,602
Why is there an infatuation with the black Lemo connector on the stock cable?
The black Lemo hardly makes its presence known, certainly doesn't look anything special.
The silver Lemo picks up the silver accents from the exterior driver cover, decal etc, and certainly doesn't look out of place - arguably better looking IMO.
Of course when you are using the headphones it doesn't matter in the slightest

Infatuation seems a bit strong.

I'm a fan of all black cables if possible. That alright?

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #14,183 of 20,602
Infatuation seems a bit strong.

I'm a fan of all black cables if possible. That alright?
Sure nothing wrong that. I was just curious because the black Lemo looks never struck me as desirable, or undesirable for that matter, just plain.
The silver Lemo on the other hand picks up the contrasting design elements on the Utopia.
Either way not something I'd lose sleep over.

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #14,185 of 20,602
Just for fun, I’m going to reach out to Lemo US and see what the minimum unit count would be for the FGG.0B.302.KLAD52Z (the elusive black connector).

I doubt they would do a 100 unit run, but if that is possible, will do an interest check here and with a couple of smaller cable builders.

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #14,186 of 20,602
Just for fun, I’m going to reach out to Lemo US and see what the minimum unit count would be for the FGG.0B.302.KLAD52Z (the elusive black connector).

I doubt they would do a 100 unit run, but if that is possible, will do an interest check here and with a couple of smaller cable builders.
On that idea why not touch base with cable manufacturers (if you haven’t already) and they may be able to get a few units in on their next order?
eg moon audio, norne audio, arctic cables, etc

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #14,187 of 20,602
Absolutely not. :wink:

Signed - someone who waited 9 months for a black Yggdrasil to match the rest of my black electronics...
Yeah, but even the black Yggy has silver buttons - i.e. not all black.:wink:
The silver Lemo looks fine with the black Chord Dave:
focal-utopia-black-dragon-cable-chord-dave_03_1__40175.1587663545.jpg

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #14,188 of 20,602
On that idea why not touch base with cable manufacturers (if you haven’t already) and they may be able to get a few units in on their next order?
eg moon audio, norne audio, arctic cables, etc

The problem seems to be that the black version of the connector isn’t available for purchase. My guess is that Focal ordered a run but it isn’t a part Lemo keeps in stock.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #14,189 of 20,602
I never read a comment of anybody that prefer copper after comparing with OCC silver.

I have seen people here on Head-Fi who preferred copper cables.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #14,190 of 20,602
I swapped out my RCA cables from my Yggy to my WA5 this weekend from Mogami to AudioQuest Mackenzie. I expected nothing, or even negative expectation. But I think I'm surprised. I know it's not an easy way to plug/unplug and bias and all that... Could swear things are a little clearer/focused. I felt like there was slightly improved instrument separation and I could hear into the music better than ever. Can't call it night and day but I think it was a noticeable improvement. Either yeah! or I drank the kool-aid and now I'm really in trouble...

Have you been able to compare them with other brands or with AQ, but lower product line – with a less of a price jump? I would expect cheap Mogami to be inferior, but wonder if the difference can be heard between Mackenzie and, say, Red River.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back