Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 26, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #13,471 of 20,602
Roon for the win. Using it with both Qobuz Studio and Tidal HiFi
+1 I use Roon with Qobuz. Used to use Tidal Hifi alone so the switch to this doesn't cost too much more per month. Works well and with most of my devices across the house supporting Roon in some way it's perfect for me.

Dec 27, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #13,473 of 20,602
Arche arrived today, and despite having cracked ribs from a fall, I was able to set everything up quite easily. I did have initial connection problems, but this thread had prepared me and saved my sanity. I have only tested it with two albums so far, but I am blown away with the quality of sound compared to my Sony TA-ZH1ES (which is a great amp with Sony headphones). Both Toto IV and Masaaki Suzuki Bach Cantatas were revealing in a way that took me by surprise. I will write a fuller review sometime, but I wanted to thank all of you who kindly posted here and guided me to this pairing with my Utopias. The only problem I have now are the cables; I have the old and new Utopia cables and I cannot make my mind up which I prefer for sound (the new cable is by far the more comfortable).

If anyone else is still thinking about taking advantage of the current discount, I would encourage you to quickly place an order. This is one purchase that has well exceeded my expectations and even managed to distracted me from my painful ribs.

Dec 27, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #13,475 of 20,602
Arche arrived today, and despite having cracked ribs from a fall, I was able to set everything up quite easily. I did have initial connection problems, but this thread had prepared me and saved my sanity. I have only tested it with two albums so far, but I am blown away with the quality of sound compared to my Sony TA-ZH1ES (which is a great amp with Sony headphones). Both Toto IV and Masaaki Suzuki Bach Cantatas were revealing in a way that took me by surprise. I will write a fuller review sometime, but I wanted to thank all of you who kindly posted here and guided me to this pairing with my Utopias. The only problem I have now are the cables; I have the old and new Utopia cables and I cannot make my mind up which I prefer for sound (the new cable is by far the more comfortable).

If anyone else is still thinking about taking advantage of the current discount, I would encourage you to quickly place an order. This is one purchase that has well exceeded my expectations and even managed to distracted me from my painful ribs.
Cool. Can you briefly describe the sound compared to the Sony TA. Thanks.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #13,476 of 20,602
20201228_104633-01.jpeg
20201228_112832-01.jpeg

Had a listening session with a friend who came over with the HE6 and Raal. Posted these pics in the susvara thread too.

Anyways, this guy is the reason I got involved in headphones; I bought my first high end cans from him (the utopias). After hearing my setup, he said he was much more impressed with the Utopia + WA33 pairing than the TC/Susvara + WA33.

A few things he mentioned:
- the layering, depth, and placement with the Utopia was amazing
- has never heard the Utopia bass sound so good, very punchy and dynamic
- extremely musical pairing

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #13,478 of 20,602
I read recently that the driver failure issue was with earlier serial model number Utopias.

Please is this true? Please also, if it is right, then is there a range of serial number after which drivers should be OK?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #13,479 of 20,602
But you still prefer the Utopias? Could you share a few impressions on the comparison?

Would be interested of that as well.. I have listened for a coupe of hour on the Utopia and trying to decide if I like them more than my LCD-4 (Would say I hear more details on the Utopia, but the LCD-4 sounds more organic (not a very precis word perhaps..) to me. Sure, Susvara is a step up in price on the used market - but still interesting :)

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #13,480 of 20,602
Cool. Can you briefly describe the sound compared to the Sony TA. Thanks.

Please note that I have only used the Arche for a few hours, so it is not burnt in, and has not even had time to warm up properly. Also I have SW: 01.01.08 and I have not yet checked to see if this is the latest. Music is from a Melco N1A EX 6TB player, which is excellent, but the Arche is not on their, “approved by Melco” list, that said I will be sending an email to Alan Ainslie from Melco, letting him know they need to add the Arche. Melco need more attention, they make excellent equipment and have been very helpful going above and beyond whenever I needed assistance.

Pairing the Arche with Focal Utopias just seems to bring out the best in them both, particularly on the Utopia setting. I had been happy with my Sony TA, so I do not intend to give it bad press, I just think the pairing is so much better between the Utopias and the Arche. Why do I say that? Listening to Toto IV, Lenny Castro’s percussion stood out more and the soundstage was noticeably wider and instrument placement in the mix was easier to identify. Listening to Bach’s Cantatas, the intake of breath before they sang, and the turning of pages was more perceptible, but then I just got lost in the music, it was wonderful. What I preferred on the Sony TA, was also what I found frustrating. I listen to many styles of music from baroque choral to rap and death metal, each time I changed style I also had to find out which setting on the TA suited it best and this often took minutes as it was never intuitive. The “Female vocal” setting just does not sound correct for rap, but often was the right setting, but it was worth the time when I did find the right setting. The Arche I now have on low gain with the Utopia setting and it shines in all categories of music. So, for the third time, the Focal pairing appears to be the strongest point. The Sony seemed a bit more clinical and dry if not using the different Sony settings and I dare say if I was still mixing, or producing I would want a more clinical amp than the Arche. For sheer musical enjoyment, without messing around with EQ, or other settings, the Arche is a clear winner with the Utopias and with broken ribs is a great distraction.

I have noticed others here have both amps and they will have more experience testing both and may want to add to my comments, or disagree. This is just a quick day one review for anyone tempted to pull the trigger on the discount voucher for the Arche. Just one warning, you may miss the remote, but being tethered you are never going to be that far away.

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #13,481 of 20,602
Just bought a Focal Arche to use with my Utopias. It was such a good deal that I couldn't say no:)

Hoping to use it in a desktop capacity connected to my PC for use with Roon and films.

Which means that my Hugo2Go can finally start making use of that built-in battery in the living room!

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #13,483 of 20,602
Just a word of caution. I purchased a pair of utopias on eBay a few months ago. Was sold as new and looked new. Only to have the driver fail within 10 weeks. Upon contacting the seller, who had claimed he got them from an authorised seller, turned out that the receipt he eventually provided was from an unauthorised seller in TX. Focals distributor in the U.K. SVS wouldn’t honour the guarantee and wanted £1507 to replace the drivers with a matching pair of new ones. Thankfully I managed to get PayPal to step in when eBay wouldn’t and in the process of claiming that way. The moral of the story then is to make sure you see the receipt before you purchase.

I’ve owned quite a few headphones and the utopias are good but I wouldn’t say great. I’ve had stax before that to my ears sound far better. Which is where I will be returning to. In fairness for sheer value, the elears are very good and comparing them to the utopias wasn’t as night and day as I’d hoped.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #13,484 of 20,602
Please note that I have only used the Arche for a few hours, so it is not burnt in, and has not even had time to warm up properly. Also I have SW: 01.01.08 and I have not yet checked to see if this is the latest. Music is from a Melco N1A EX 6TB player, which is excellent, but the Arche is not on their, “approved by Melco” list, that said I will be sending an email to Alan Ainslie from Melco, letting him know they need to add the Arche. Melco need more attention, they make excellent equipment and have been very helpful going above and beyond whenever I needed assistance.

Pairing the Arche with Focal Utopias just seems to bring out the best in them both, particularly on the Utopia setting. I had been happy with my Sony TA, so I do not intend to give it bad press, I just think the pairing is so much better between the Utopias and the Arche. Why do I say that? Listening to Toto IV, Lenny Castro’s percussion stood out more and the soundstage was noticeably wider and instrument placement in the mix was easier to identify. Listening to Bach’s Cantatas, the intake of breath before they sang, and the turning of pages was more perceptible, but then I just got lost in the music, it was wonderful. What I preferred on the Sony TA, was also what I found frustrating. I listen to many styles of music from baroque choral to rap and death metal, each time I changed style I also had to find out which setting on the TA suited it best and this often took minutes as it was never intuitive. The “Female vocal” setting just does not sound correct for rap, but often was the right setting, but it was worth the time when I did find the right setting. The Arche I now have on low gain with the Utopia setting and it shines in all categories of music. So, for the third time, the Focal pairing appears to be the strongest point. The Sony seemed a bit more clinical and dry if not using the different Sony settings and I dare say if I was still mixing, or producing I would want a more clinical amp than the Arche. For sheer musical enjoyment, without messing around with EQ, or other settings, the Arche is a clear winner with the Utopias and with broken ribs is a great distraction.

I have noticed others here have both amps and they will have more experience testing both and may want to add to my comments, or disagree. This is just a quick day one review for anyone tempted to pull the trigger on the discount voucher for the Arche. Just one warning, you may miss the remote, but being tethered you are never going to be that far away.

Wow, this is great to hear. I just got my voucher for $1000 off. I think I’ll buy the Arche and probably sell off my Dave setup. I love that setup but it’s really beyond my means. The money was from an inheritance and should really go into savings. The Utopia/Arche is what I can really afford and it still more money than anyone I know would spend.

I also listen to a lot of 80’s and alternative music, so it’s not like a need the most accurate system. Think a fun setup will do me fine.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #13,485 of 20,602
My Arche will be arriving from France tomorrow- will report back on how I find it versus my Hugo 2+2Go combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back