Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 19, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #13,066 of 20,634
Oct 19, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #13,067 of 20,634
Wow, I'm sorry but this thread is terrible.

Like 90% of the page count is full of meaningless banter and petty arguments. Whereas about 10% of the page count are people actually enjoying and complimenting the Utopias.

Total turnoff from buying these headphones. Especially all the business about driver failure and creaking.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #13,068 of 20,634

Like 90% of the page count is full of meaningless banter and petty arguments. Whereas about 10% of the page count are people actually enjoying and complimenting the Utopias.

Total turnoff from buying these headphones. Especially all the business about driver failure and creaking.

You shouldn't let a small group of people and a single thread throw you off from enjoying one or the best headphones available out there.

Driver failures may just seem common, but do take into account the number of Utopias sold around the world vs the few failures reported here (which is to be expected given the purpose of this thread and the user demographic).

The Utopia is a fantastic headphone, which I enjoy immensely still. It plays well and holds its own with/against more expensive cans like the abyss and susvara.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #13,070 of 20,634

I would consider the Focal Clear or the Stellia if you want to get Focal. I found the Utopia didn’t have enough to justify the price, especially with the reverberations from brass instruments, cymbals, etc. that made them sound more like an alarm vs blended sound with the rest of the instruments. It stood out too much.

That said, this is my take on it and it least there are people who showed that they enjoy it.

The Stellia and Clear are worth their asking price in my book. But test them out, test the Utopia as well. It’s best to research in other sites how truly often those drivers fail or ask a trusted Focal Seller. Good luck in your search.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #13,071 of 20,634
So, yesterday, I set up my break in chain for my new Utopias and my new secret , no name Norne cable. Tidal off Mac computer to Matrix Sabra Pro MQA DAC to SPL Phonitor E to headphones. I very seldom listen to equipment that I am breaking in. They usually have issues that you can hear. After I got everything up and going, I decided to briefly check out the sound to make sure every thing was running. After an hour and a half, I took them off reluctantly. They sounded great right out of the box. I think 200 hours is the specified amount of break in. About 2 weeks 24/7. Tidal is a great source for break in as it has several 20 plus hour play lists.
EDM is my choice of break in music.
glad you're enjoying your new utopia. i must have missed the memo recommending 200 hours of burn-in.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #13,072 of 20,634
i must have missed the memo recommending 200 hours of burn-in.

Not to mention that if one enjoys the sound out of the box, why would one deprive themselves of it for the sake of "burn-in"? Burn them in while listening to them, I say.

That's besides the fact that burn in does, in my opinion, happen in the brain rather than in the hardware. If you're not listening to them, burn in is not happening :)

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #13,073 of 20,634

lol! thanks for stopping by.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #13,074 of 20,634
Not to mention that if one enjoys the sound out of the box, why would one deprive themselves of it for the sake of "burn-in"? Burn them in while listening to them, I say.

That's besides the fact that burn in does, in my opinion, happen in the brain rather than in the hardware. If you're not listening to them, burn in is not happening :)
I have eight headphones and have broken them in the same way. Initially they sound disjointed to some extent but that usually goes away in 24 hours. Other changes occur over the next 100 or so hours. Maybe its the cable, maybe its the headphone.

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #13,075 of 20,634
I have eight headphones and have broken them in the same way. Initially they sound disjointed to some extent but that usually goes away in 24 hours. Other changes occur over the next 100 or so hours. Maybe its the cable, maybe its the headphone.

If anything is changing, it's overwhelmingly likely to be due to pad conformation.

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #13,078 of 20,634
what have you found out so far?
Found out that my local dealer is selling it for $3350 with only 2 years warranty. I got an offer from a member in Headfi saying that he could get it for way less with 5 years warranty, shipped from dealer in France.
Sound-wise, It was good enough for to me give up the search for Clear and start searching for an Utopia instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back