Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 9, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #12,991 of 20,602
I want to add a Dac/Amp combo for my Utopias. Has anyone listened to Questyle CMA 12 with Utopias? CMA 12 is about the same price as discounted Arche (~$1500). It got my attention because the Headfonia review said ' (CMA 12)has it (Arche) beaten for sound quality'. That being said, I'm little surprised that there aren't much discussions about CMA12 on Head-Fi. If CMA 12 is not good with Utopias, is there any other Dac/Amp suggestions at this price range? Thanks!
Tom

I listened to the Arche only at an audio show, but had CMA 12 at home and still have CMA 12 Master. From memory I would say that, with the Utopia, the Master version of the CMA 12 sounds best, followed by the Arche and the CMA 12 standard version. Both CMA 12 are slightly on the warm side of neutral, which fits the Utopia well. CMA 12 (non-Master) can sound a bit mid-centric with the Utopia imo, CMA 12 Master has better defined and more punchy bass, better overall resolution, better treble, better soundstaging. It is all about low noise floor when you feed a highly resolving high end headphone such as the Utopia, and the CMA 12 Master does this very well, imo. But also the Arche sounds great with both Utopia and Stellia imo, so you cannot go wrong with it either, imho. The CMA 12 (non-Master) is a good bang for the buck, but I did not particularly like it, to be honest.

Cheers,
Bernie

Oct 9, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #12,992 of 20,602
I want to add a Dac/Amp combo for my Utopias. Has anyone listened to Questyle CMA 12 with Utopias? CMA 12 is about the same price as discounted Arche (~$1500). It got my attention because the Headfonia review said ' (CMA 12)has it (Arche) beaten for sound quality'. That being said, I'm little surprised that there aren't much discussions about CMA12 on Head-Fi. If CMA 12 is not good with Utopias, is there any other Dac/Amp suggestions at this price range? Thanks!
Tom

I have the Twelve Master from Questyle and enjoy it but it generally isn't what I go to for my Utopia. I normally use the PS Audio DirectStream running balance to a Ray Samuels Apache. The Twelve Master is my main go to unit of my other headphone sets paired with Roon from an Intel NUC.

Oct 9, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #12,993 of 20,602
I have the Twelve Master from Questyle and enjoy it but it generally isn't what I go to for my Utopia. I normally use the PS Audio DirectStream running balance to a Ray Samuels Apache. The Twelve Master is my main go to unit of my other headphone sets paired with Roon from an Intel NUC.
Could you please elaborate why you don't use CMA 12 with Utopia? Thanks!

Oct 9, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #12,994 of 20,602

Wow I haven't heard Ray Samuels mentioned in a long time. I used to have the Hornet, and remember always lusting for the Raptor and Dark Star.

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #12,995 of 20,602
I listened to the Arche only at an audio show, but had CMA 12 at home and still have CMA 12 Master. From memory I would say that, with the Utopia, the Master version of the CMA 12 sounds best, followed by the Arche and the CMA 12 standard version. Both CMA 12 are slightly on the warm side of neutral, which fits the Utopia well. CMA 12 (non-Master) can sound a bit mid-centric with the Utopia imo, CMA 12 Master has better defined and more punchy bass, better overall resolution, better treble, better soundstaging. It is all about low noise floor when you feed a highly resolving high end headphone such as the Utopia, and the CMA 12 Master does this very well, imo. But also the Arche sounds great with both Utopia and Stellia imo, so you cannot go wrong with it either, imho. The CMA 12 (non-Master) is a good bang for the buck, but I did not particularly like it, to be honest.

Cheers,
Bernie
Thanks for your input! I think I'll pass on CMA 12 then.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #12,997 of 20,602
Just a curious question: Why do you chose the Arche (SS) instead of tube amps for example the highly appreciated Feliks Euphoria? I am not biased as I don't have either and maybe will not be able to afford.....

I have both the Utopia and Stellia. Figured the device that was literally made to pair with it would make most sense as a purchase, particularly with how difficult it is to audition gear at the moment. More of a buy it and forget about it purchase and perhaps a quality guarantee too I guess.

Anyhow here it is - forgive the terrible focus, I took the picture in low light using night mode on my phone.

20201009_174634.jpg

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #12,998 of 20,602
I have two rooms with different setups. My main room has my 2 channel setup along with the RSA Apache and PS Audio DirectStream DAC. This is where I use my Thekk and Utopia headphones.

My other room is strictly headphones where I have the Twelve Master. I use it in there with my headphones. It is nothing negative but compared to the Apache / DirectSteam combination, it isn't at that level but I would not expect it to be. I do find I use it the most in the headphone room.

Oct 10, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #12,999 of 20,602
Tom

Actually that's confusing me as well, why so little news about CMA 12 Master here in forum. I've been fans of 12 Master since the very first time its released and bought them as well ( still use it as my daily dac+amp till now).

While I believe it's not the best sound quality out there (still can not compete chord Dave or dcs bartok), but it deliver crazy value at $2k. Not to mention the 2 watt power is capable to drive most headphones on the market.

When I had Utopia I still use cma600i, and I thought that pair a little too bright for me. However, CMA 12 master deliver smoother and meatier sound than 600i, so I think it would become a better pairing. Too bad I already sold my Utopia long time ago though.

I also know one of my friend here who own bartok, and immediately bought 12 Master when he tried for the fires time, because he really appreciate the versatility and value of this product. Eventually he use it as bedroom set up.

Oct 11, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #13,000 of 20,602
I just bought a Utopia 2020. Is this a different tuning or just a repackaging? Mine is the base unit with just the basic 6.3 mm cord.

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #13,002 of 20,602
I just bought a Utopia 2020. Is this a different tuning or just a repackaging? Mine is the base unit with just the basic 6.3 mm cord.
I didn’t realise there are two sets of packaging now for 2020 models

just the 6.3mm cord vs 6.3mm cord, balanced cord and carry case (perhaps later 2020)

https://audio46.com/products/focal-utopia-open-back-headphones-2020-packaging

was the rrp on yours $4000 usd (as oopsed to $4400 usd)? If so that’s kind of fair enough

if you paid full retail (or close to) i would sus out whether there was a choice. If you paid substantially less (like myself late last year) that’s fair enough

imho, my 2c

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #13,003 of 20,602
same headphone repackaged

Right. But it sounds a bit different because of the other stock cable now, sounds better imo. The addition of the balanced cable and the carrying case is very nice from Focal too.

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #13,005 of 20,602
Thanks guy,s. You always wonder about equipment when they add something to its name. I did not want the factory balanced cord, preferring to let my wire wizard provide me with his best recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back