Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 26, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #12,917 of 20,620
More often than not I am using my EE Legend X when listening. I find their sound the closest to a big speaker setup and more comfortable then hp. When I goto hp it is usually the Utopia.

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #12,919 of 20,620
which iem you like or listen the most?
My home system is comprised of Rockport Altair 2 loudspeakers and Viva electronics with a Basis Inspiration turntable. I mention this in case you have any familiarity with them. As for IEM’s, my favorite is the Vision Ears Erlkonig. I do also like the QDC Anole VX and some others, but I do feel the VE Erlk is the best of the best in IEM’s and closest to my home system. I have not yet heard the Empire Ears Odin.

I like a system that can sound real (natural). I also do not like sibilance in female vocals. So if the high mids and treble is harsh, I will not like that in a system and I will usually hear it almost instantly depending on the music. I do want it all, and feel a great set of speakers, headphones or IEM’s should be able to do everything (bass, mids, highs, especially the correct timbre of the music) great. If one thing is most important to me, it would be the timbre of the music.

Hopefully this description of my taste might make a few recommendations a bit easier. Thank you.

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #12,921 of 20,620
Sep 26, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #12,922 of 20,620
It seems so many Utopia's on classified. Has the Utopia stock crashed? Time to dump? :)
Really? My quick scan shows three and one is a year old post that was resurrected. I won’t be selling mine anytime soon; if you now don’t like or want yours then sell them. I wouldn’t call two active sales a ”crash” by any means.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #12,924 of 20,620
Mine aren’t going anywhere either. I like them way too much.
I said the same thing, until the Diana Phi's came along and unseated them :)

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #12,925 of 20,620
i've not had the opportunity to try the diana phi, but i've compared the diana V2 to the utopia a few times. it sounded fabulous but i found it uncomfortable despite its lighter weight. i expect that the diana phi would be no different in that regard.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #12,926 of 20,620
i've not had the opportunity to try the diana phi, but i've compared the diana V2 to the utopia a few times. it sounded fabulous but i found it uncomfortable despite its lighter weight. i expect that the diana phi would be no different in that regard.
The fit is the same on the Diana V2 and Phi's. I can agree that the Utopia's are the more comfortable headphone.

Sep 27, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #12,930 of 20,620
I had both Diana Phi and Utopia, sold Diana Phi but kept the Utopia. Diana Phi is rather a sidegrade than a clear upgrade imho, although both headphones are great neutral sounding headphones. It is simply a matter of taste which one you prefer. I personally slightly prefer the overall presentation of the Utopia, but I understand that many like Diana Phi for its more airy and open sound. The Utopia has (much) better fit, better design and build quality. Even though Diana Phi is seemingly easy to drive, it needs better amplification than the Utopia.

Cheers,
Bernie

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back