Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #12,841 of 20,602
Congratulations on both the ARCHE & Utopia.
I've listened to this combo at CJNYC '19 & '20 and even under meet conditions I was left very impressed.
For me, this combo was among the best of the very few that left me with such impressions regardless of cost.
Could you please try to put some words of the comparison the Arche with the ultrasonic citadel amp, which is your preference now (as I recall).
I don’t own the utopia, but the stelia. Just curious...
thanks

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #12,842 of 20,602
Could you please try to put some words of the comparison the Arche with the ultrasonic citadel amp, which is your preference now (as I recall).
I don’t own the utopia, but the stelia. Just curious...
thanks
Hmm, so that would be hard for me to do being I'm going by remembering being impressed with the Arche and both, the Utopia & Stellia, as well as it being maybe a 5 minute listen, but none the less left me with a great impression both times. Apologies for not being more helpful.

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #12,843 of 20,602
I have to listen to this Crystal Cable as I have very bad taste : I like better (knoing that I listen only classical music and accoustic jazz) the Nordost than the Lazuli Reference. Only a matter of taste. I fear a ittle the Crystal Cable as I've been often disappointed by silver/ gold alloy (the Silver widow by the way lol)

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #12,844 of 20,602
Congratulations on both the ARCHE & Utopia.
I've listened to this combo at CJNYC '19 & '20 and even under meet conditions I was left very impressed.
For me, this combo was among the best of the very few that left me with such impressions regardless of cost.

Hmm, so that would be hard for me to do being I'm going by remembering being impressed with the Arche and both, the Utopia & Stellia, as well as it being maybe a 5 minute listen, but none the less left me with a great impression both times. Apologies for not being more helpful.
5 minute listen??
well that changes the perspective in which i read your first post

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #12,845 of 20,602
5 minute listen??
well that changes the perspective in which i read your first post
It's a CJ event. How long do you think you can spend at each booth when there's so much to listen too?
Regardless, as I mentioned; "For me, this combo was among the best of the very few that left me with such impressions regardless of cost" and I stand by this because both, CJNYC '19 & '20 I felt the same way about these combos and in this type of environment, which says a lot too me.

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #12,846 of 20,602
I spent the last 3 days listening to Utopia + gsx mini. This morning I hooked up the Utopia to my wa22. Listened to all my favourite songs again. Just confirming with myself, the Utopia sounds magical with tubes.. Don't think I will bother to pair it with the mini anymore.

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #12,847 of 20,602
I have to listen to this Crystal Cable as I have very bad taste : I like better (knoing that I listen only classical music and accoustic jazz) the Nordost than the Lazuli Reference. Only a matter of taste. I fear a ittle the Crystal Cable as I've been often disappointed by silver/ gold alloy (the Silver widow by the way lol)
I've gone through alot of different cables with the utopia,using a chord dave,the Nordost was one of the worst cables I tried,it had no body to sound(sounds thin)The best cable I've heard,is the cable that came with the utopia,the big thick python lol,that some people moan about,and yes it sounds better then the Lazuli Reference as well.

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #12,848 of 20,602
I've gone through alot of different cables with the utopia,using a chord dave,the Nordost was one of the worst cables I tried,it had no body to sound(sounds thin)The best cable I've heard,is the cable that came with the utopia,the big thick python lol,that some people moan about,and yes it sounds better then the Lazuli Reference as well.
I like my norne silver draug cable and the stock. If only the stock cable had come as xlr end, so I don’t have to ask a friend to reterminate.

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #12,850 of 20,602
I have Silver Dragon, CustomCans, Homemade (from spare HD800 cable) and I keep coming back to stock. It has more body, darker and smoother highs.

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #12,851 of 20,602
Yes I've got the norne draug 3,a beautifully made cable,very light,and it sounds good as well,but not as good as the utopia own cable.
draug copper 3 or draug silver? two different options
i would thing the stock cable is better than the draug copper but also different though not necessarily better than stock. that would depend on gear and preferences

i was never fully sold on the draug copper 3 (on my hd800), as i generally prefer silver personally

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #12,853 of 20,602
Has anyone bought copper cables from Arctic Cable or Plussound? I'm interested in getting an aftermarket 4.4mm balanced cable for my Utopia. I'm wondering whether these $200-$300 cables are comparable to Utopia's stock cable in sound quality. Silver cables are too pricey for me. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back