Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #12,526 of 20,624
do most here use their Utopia with a dedicated amp or simply drive it off their DAP/DAC (ie. H2 which has SE out)?

Topping A90 and HiBy R6 Pro when I can't be in the room that contains the amp. Damned online schooling!

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #12,527 of 20,624
I babies mine too since early adopter 2016 and drivers failed 3X so far. Last time was in late Dec 2019.
I bought my Utopias new in 2016 as well but have had zero problems/failures.
Either you're incredibly unlucky or something else is going on.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #12,529 of 20,624
Please give me some advice: I have been saving for HD800S because I want to buy a pair of full size headphones to complement my JHA Angie IEM. Also I'm very curious about how TOTL cans sound compared to IEMs. Then I saw a lot of folks here saying Utopia is superior to HD800S in every single way except soundstage, which made me tempt to get Utopia instead. My budget is enough for Utopia but I won't have anything left to upgrade other components of my audio chain (my only DAC now is Mojo). I also have some reservations about Utopia because it retails more than double the price of HD800S but has a dramatic drop in resale value (people are selling these 4k headphones for 2-2.2k used here...). Even more worrisome to me is Utopia's high driver failure rate (which really shouldn't happen given the 4k price tag) and lackluster customer service (based on posts I read) of Focal made me think if it is worthwhile to invest so much in their products. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #12,530 of 20,624
does your A90 "color" Utopia's sound?

Hard to assess, as my only comparison is with my HiBy. I haven't tried other amps or headphones (other than Grado SR60's which are not even in the same solar system as the Utopias). I'll simply say that compared with the HiBy, the A90 is slightly but noticeably richer, more detailed, with better separation. But I don't sense any over-smoothing nor sharpness. Based on the A90's distortion measurements, I'm going to guess that it's almost entirely uncolored -- yet with crazy amounts of power. Some people call it 'warm,' but I don't hear that. When I'm able to safely visit audio stores again, I'm curious to make comparisons between my Topping D90/A90 stack and some high-end gear. Based on the level of difference between the Hiby and the A90/D90, I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't hear a ton of difference, as the Utopias are easy to make sound great, hence diminishing returns. Curious if any other A90/Utopia owners have compared amps.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #12,532 of 20,624
Please give me some advice: I have been saving for HD800S because I want to buy a pair of full size headphones to complement my JHA Angie IEM. Also I'm very curious about how TOTL cans sound compared to IEMs. Then I saw a lot of folks here saying Utopia is superior to HD800S in every single way except soundstage, which made me tempt to get Utopia instead. My budget is enough for Utopia but I won't have anything left to upgrade other components of my audio chain (my only DAC now is Mojo). I also have some reservations about Utopia because it retails more than double the price of HD800S but has a dramatic drop in resale value (people are selling these 40k headphones for 20-22k used here...). Even more worrisome to me is Utopia's high driver failure rate (which really shouldn't happen given the 40k price tag) and lackluster customer service (based on posts I read) of Focal made me think if it is worthwhile to invest so much in their products. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I own both the Utopia and the HD800S, and I faced the same decision. Some said the Utopia is better, others the HD800S.

My take: The HD800S does one thing exceptionally well, and that is classical / accoustic music. It is tuned that way and that is where it will shine. And you will need a good amp, the mojo (which I also owned) will drive it but you stay a long way under the headphone's potential (as would the Utopia, btw). So if you are 100% classical music listener - go for the hd800S and spent the rest of the funds on a tube amp.Or the ifi micro black label worked great for me as well with the HD800S. But if you are looking for an allrounder, the Utopia is definitely the more satisfying experience. And yes, there are driver failures, but the Utopias are so exciting that it is worth taking the "risk". The mojo will be fine for the beginning, but it will only shine more once you have a better source component.

PS: I am not sure what you have heard, but at least in my case Focal was ok. I think more depends on the trader than focal. Mine sent me a new Utopia once I had provided a tracking number.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #12,533 of 20,624
I own both the Utopia and the HD800S, and I faced the same decision. Some said the Utopia is better, others the HD800S. But whatever you do, I'd trust Focal to take care of you in case you have a problem, at least they did in my (and many other) cases.

My take: The HD800S does one thing exceptionally well, and that is classical / accoustic music. It is tuned that way and that is where it will shine. And you will need a good amp, the mojo (which I also owned) will drive it but you stay a long way under the headphone's potential (as would the Utopia, btw). So if you are 100% classical music listener - go for the hd800S and spent the rest of the funds on a tube amp.Or the ifi micro black label worked great for me as well with the HD800S. But if you are looking for an allrounder, the Utopia is definitely the more satisfying experience. And yes, there are driver failures, but the Utopias are so exciting that it is worth taking the "risk". The mojo will be fine for the beginning, but it will only shine more once you have a better source component.
Thanks for your suggestions. They really cleared things up for me since you own both headphones. Classic music is a genre I barely listen to. I like Classic Rock, Jazz and EDM. I assume Utopia is better than HD800S for the music I like?

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #12,534 of 20,624
Thanks for your suggestions. They really cleared things up for me since you own both headphones. Classic music is a genre I barely listen to. I like Classic Rock, Jazz and EDM. I assume Utopia is better than HD800S for the music I like?

Absolutely. Those music choices are exactly what I use my Utopia for!

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #12,536 of 20,624
Good for you that all is working as it should. But no reason to call somebody unlucky, and it is not that incredible either.
Err, 3 failures in 4yrs - I'd can that very unlucky.
But if not 'unlucky' there may be some other explanation. And if it's the latter an examination of the use/circumstances/environment/partnering equipment may provide useful information for all Utopia owners - including the OP, don't you think?

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #12,537 of 20,624
Err, 3 failures in 4yrs - I'd can that very unlucky.
But if not 'unlucky' there may be some other explanation. And if it's the latter an examination of the use/circumstances/environment/partnering equipment may provide useful information for all Utopia owners - including the OP, don't you think?

Well, I prefer to not call people unlucky, it’s not very polite. In any case, I feel this becomes one of the “I don’t have a problem so something is wrong with you or your gear” discussions.
so, if it helps, my utopia failed twice, both times while listening to the focal Arche. Volume was medium low. It made “crr” rather loud for a split of a second, and then the driver was gone.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #12,538 of 20,624
I'm listening to Whitesnake on my HD800s with the gsx mini and it sounds really good! To me, the HD800s handles rock better than I thought it would judging from numerous posts/comparisons.

BUT.....I'm really getting the itch to finally get the Utopia. Maybe later this fall. Christmas present to myself lol. And then hope the drivers don't fail gosh!

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #12,539 of 20,624
I never considered calling someone 'unlucky' was impolite.
I'll add that to the list of words I can no longer use.
political-correctness.jpg

Thanks for providing that info on your Utopia failures, it adds some data points though the reason for the failures remains mysterious.
My understanding, from much earlier posts, was that the failures were voice coil connecting wire/joint fatigue - brought on by frequent excessive excursions.
If not deliberate excessive levels, I thought perhaps one possibility was turn on/off surges from less sorted HP amps - but if failures are happening with Focal's own amp, that seems unlikely.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #12,540 of 20,624
I'm listening to Whitesnake on my HD800s with the gsx mini and it sounds really good! To me, the HD800s handles rock better than I thought it would judging from numerous posts/comparisons.

BUT.....I'm really getting the itch to finally get the Utopia. Maybe later this fall. Christmas present to myself lol. And then hope the drivers don't fail gosh!
They would complement each other very well if you can afford both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back