Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 5, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #12,106 of 20,796
I sampled them as well as the Stellia and Clear. For my ears, the Clear were the ones that sounded best to my ears. Still, that’s good peace of mind by Focal in their part. Sounds like good customer service

FWIW, Stellia and Clear were released later than Utopia and Elear, and since the issue seemed to be more with ealry production it would make sense that there would be less reported issues with Stellia and Clear.

It's only anecdotal, but I haven't had a single issue with my early Utopia and they've been my only pair of headphones for almost 3 years now.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #12,107 of 20,796
FWIW, Stellia and Clear were released later than Utopia and Elear, and since the issue seemed to be more with ealry production it would make sense that there would be less reported issues with Stellia and Clear.

It's only anecdotal, but I haven't had a single issue with my early Utopia and they've been my only pair of headphones for almost 3 years now.
Yup, already new that. I was in the market to get Focal cans and sampled them all. Decided the Clear would be the best and didn’t feel the Utopia warranted the price. They certainly give off a different sound signature, but I expected a lot more for the price. The Stellia are excellent even for the price, but the Clear just had better instrument echo and overall soundstage and the accuracy of all the instruments was even, while still having a fun sound signature.

I hope the Utopia owners continue to love their earphones. They are just not for me. Doesn’t mean my choice is wrong or worse, everyone’s ears operate differently

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #12,108 of 20,796
Yup, already new that. I was in the market to get Focal cans and sampled them all. Decided the Clear would be the best and didn’t feel the Utopia warranted the price. They certainly give off a different sound signature, but I expected a lot more for the price. The Stellia are excellent even for the price, but the Clear just had better instrument echo and overall soundstage and the accuracy of all the instruments was even, while still having a fun sound signature.

I hope the Utopia owners continue to love their earphones. They are just not for me. Doesn’t mean my choice is wrong or worse, everyone’s ears operate differently

Indeed, different strokes for different folks.

If other's opinions on gear I owned impacted how much I enjoyed them I wouldn't have a very good time.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #12,109 of 20,796
Indeed, different strokes for different folks.

If other's opinions on gear I owned impacted how much I enjoyed them I wouldn't have a very good time.
The Stellia will be in my radar down the road if they ever go on clearance for half the price. But I think $1500 USD is perhaps impossible to reach for the Stellia

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #12,110 of 20,796

it's been a while since i compared the clear to the utopia but i found the clear rather meh tbh. dug the stellia tho. "different strokes for different folks" as @dontfeedphils says.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #12,111 of 20,796
it's been a while since i compared the clear to the utopia but i found the clear rather meh tbh. but "different strokes for different folks" as @dontfeedphils says.

I had the same thought on that comparison, which was the same way I felt about the Empyrean. Both nice enough listens and inoffensive overall, but a bit boring and not engaging/exciting enough for me.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #12,112 of 20,796
I had the same thought on that comparison, which was the same way I felt about the Empyrean. Both nice enough listens and inoffensive overall, but a bit boring and not engaging/exciting enough for me.
i had a similar response to the empyrean's sound signature

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #12,113 of 20,796
I felt metallic reverberations from trumpets, cymbals, and triangles. Just didn’t have that sparkle that usually comes from those instruments and the singers pushed the mid range instruments too far back. I was surprised and thought that everything would be more smooth across the board. The Clear has deeper bass without pounding my ears but the instruments and voices, everything had its distinct sound and where their direction came from.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #12,116 of 20,796
guess we hear differently. the clear was lacking "sparkle" and clarity compared to the utopia to my ears.
Both cases aren’t wrong. Which is why I realized People do need to sample cans before committing to them. The build quality on the Utopia are in the upper echelon without a doubt. Really well made.

I sampled them for 50 minutes. I thought that was enough time to gather whatever opinions my ears detected

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #12,117 of 20,796
no, just different impressions and preferences, which is commonplace in this hobby.

my clear/utopia comparison was considerably shorter than that. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #12,118 of 20,796
I have not been on this thread for 100 years. Quick info check.

How many are using their Utopias with a Violectric V281? If you are hopefully you will also reply in balanced mode.

Just curious

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #12,120 of 20,796
I felt metallic reverberations from trumpets, cymbals, and triangles. Just didn’t have that sparkle that usually comes from those instruments and the singers pushed the mid range instruments too far back. I was surprised and thought that everything would be more smooth across the board. The Clear has deeper bass without pounding my ears but the instruments and voices, everything had its distinct sound where their direction came from.

Aptly put. I feel the same way about Stellia. Clear Professional feels like a raw photograph formed on its own that needs no further edit. Stellia feels like the same photograph but with a lot of editing done on it by powerful set of tools in pursuit of the perfect look to be matched only by the reality, which ends up looking a bit less realistic than that sufficiently beautiful and effortlessly original raw pic that is fearlessly unambiguous in its portrayal of realism. Clear Professional is Alex from "A Clockwork Orange" before he receives the treatment. Stellia is the same person after the treatment - mature, obedient, respectful, accepted and loved by all; but not Alex anymore and never ever again will be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back