Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 8, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #9,423 of 20,796
There is a program called BitPerfect available on the App Store. It automatically sets your midi settings to whatever the file format is. It also buffers the audio to improve output. I ran this on my Mac mini. I have since switched to Audirvana +. This is a complete audio player. You can use it with iTunes or as a stand alone player. Both programs work really well. Bitperfect is pretty cheap. Like $10.

I second Audirvana +, well worth the affordable price.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #9,424 of 20,796
Audirvana +, wow! I downloaded the trial version today. Sooo much better. I will be buying the real version for sure.
Keeping it about the Utopia's, the sound has so much more body, more clarity, and the space between the instruments is quieter (if that makes any sense). For example, I could hear guitar plucks before, but it was almost a flat sound, now it sounds more round and whole. Loving it!

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #9,425 of 20,796
Glad you like it. I have been using it with my Utopia's and LCD-4's. It did the same thing for my set up you mentioned. The whole sound stage opened up. Music sounds more 3 dimensional.

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #9,427 of 20,796
I listen to a lot of EDM and the LCD-4 is my favorite for that. Pop music and classic rock I prefer the Utopia's. Depends on your taste in music.

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #9,428 of 20,796
A very basic comparison would be the LCD-4 has deeper and more impactful bass with a weightier sound. A little warmer compared to the Utopia. The Utopia has slightly more detail and seems a little faster. Sound stage is bigger on the LCD-4. Imaging is more precise on the Utopia. Comes down to what characteristics are most important to you. And type of music you listen to the most. Both headphones are fantastic. The Utopia is easier to drive, where the LCD-4 shines with a little more power. But it doesn't really need a huge amount. My Burson Soloist does just fine, and it is only about 500 mw at 200 ohms.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #9,429 of 20,796
thank you
so we can say that are pretty much at the same level..?
I listened the lcd4 many times from the Viva Egoista and I liked them very much, the Utopia the fist week didn t impress me very much, but they are growing on me!
but never side by side
I like EDM, but my favourite can for the genre is the fostex th900 (more than the sony)

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #9,430 of 20,796
the lcd-4 and utopia have very different sound signatures to my ears. while i liked the lcd-4's presentation, its comfort and weight will always be a deal breaker for me, as it was for the previous iterations.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #9,432 of 20,796
I feel like I'm homesick I miss the Utopia. Maybe I should buy that again lol.
Even with all the headphones I have or have heard the Utopia still sounds so right to me. I can't blame you one bit for missing them.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #9,435 of 20,796
Even with all the headphones I have or have heard the Utopia still sounds so right to me. I can't blame you one bit for missing them.
Lately I've been listening to some newer headphones I've purchased (HE1KV2/Susvara) but last night I listened to the Utopia and what a treat it was!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back