Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 4, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #9,167 of 20,602
A few lettes falling off the Focal logo is akin to catching your spouse looking out the window lusting after the UPS guy making a delivery next door. A driver failure is akin to coming home and catching your spouse in bed with the UPS guy.

Dang! Your life has drama hahaha

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 4, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #9,168 of 20,602
Hi all,

Need little help.

My small system upsrare is Esoteric k05( SACD & Dac), Studio Six hp tube amp, and Utopia and AFC.
Sometimes use MB pro as source to k05 and use as dac.

If I use dac like Chord Qutest(future) or Denafripps Terminator DAC(future) in the chain listed above provide more details/synergy/ to the Utopia?

Anyone tried separate dac after CD/source to get more out of your Utopia.

Qutest or Terminator dac can be used for 2 channel system downstairs as well.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #9,169 of 20,602
Hi All, I also joined team Utopia last week :)

Great headphone but...I have the impression that there is a driver imbalance as voices are pulling to the left (from day one and they have about 50 hours of playtime).

Sent back to the dealer to check this and I should know more end of this week.

Anyone ever had a similar issue with the U ?

My system:
- Source: BlueSound Node 2 streamer (Audioquest Diamond optical ->)
- DAC: Resolution Audio Cantata (Cardas Clear Sky XLR ->)
- Amp: Sugden Masterclass HA-4

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #9,170 of 20,602
Hi All, I also joined team Utopia last week :)

Great headphone but...I have the impression that there is a driver imbalance as voices are pulling to the left (from day one and they have about 50 hours of playtime).

Sent back to the dealer to check this and I should know more end of this week.

Anyone ever had a similar issue with the U ?

My system:
- Source: BlueSound Node 2 streamer (Audioquest Diamond optical ->)
- DAC: Resolution Audio Cantata (Cardas Clear Sky XLR ->)
- Amp: Sugden Masterclass HA-4

I have 3 Focal headphones, Clear, Elegia and Utopia. The only issue I've had is with my Utopia that had a loose screw inside the left cup, which I removed. None have shown any difference in output variances between sides, or other electrical issues.

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #9,171 of 20,602
I love these headphones to death, definitely the best headphones I've ever heard like I mentioned before... But this is kind of ridiculous:

I've been babying them the entire time, and I just noticed today. No idea where the piece went. Will see what Focal says... Sending them a message tomorrow. Anyone else have this issue before? Pretty crazy for a $4000 headphone... But I guess this is how you can tell it's handmade :beyersmile:... rightttt? /s

Just noticed my left side "C" is also missing.

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #9,175 of 20,602
I too have 4 Focal headphones. Listen, Elear, Utopia. I like the house sound and each has its merits. The Listen is handy for portable use, the Elear is great with electronic music and pop, while the Utopia shines with classic rock, acoustic, and vocals. They all are decent all-rounders, but each shines in a particular area.

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #9,176 of 20,602
I was surprised when I heard the Clear, it sounds eerily similar to Utopia IMO.. less micro detail and a bit more treble grain but otherwise pretty close in technical proficiency and signature to me.. Clear also feels a bit warmer, I can see someone preferring the Clear over Utopia.

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #9,177 of 20,602
Liquid Platinum(w/Gold Lions) Utopia combo works really well for me. Elex pads, Lazuli Ref cable. More impressions here.

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #9,178 of 20,602
I was surprised when I heard the Clear, it sounds eerily similar to Utopia IMO.. less micro detail and a bit more treble grain but otherwise pretty close in technical proficiency and signature to me.. Clear also feels a bit warmer, I can see someone preferring the Clear over Utopia.

Clear is a more well rounded headphone... I didn't notice the treble grain at all... it also doens't have the 6khz issue the utopia's do...

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #9,179 of 20,602
To my ears the Clear was too rolled off in the treble, too thick in the midrange and too uncomfortable. The Utopia (although a bit heavier) nails it in every department for me.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #9,180 of 20,602
I have 3 Focal headphones, Clear, Elegia and Utopia. The only issue I've had is with my Utopia that had a loose screw inside the left cup, which I removed. None have shown any difference in output variances between sides, or other electrical issues.
Curious which one is on your head most of the time. LOL

Focal Clear & Utopia, MrSpeakers Ether Flow 1.1 & Flow C 1.1, Audeze LCD-X, LCD-XC and LCD-4, Hifiman HE1000 SE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back