Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #8,837 of 20,602
Hi franz12,

there are indeed news, although more at the level of the Elear and Clear, not the Utopia,

I am copying and pasting below what I posted today in the Elear and in the Clear threads,
have a nice weekend,
bidn

IMPORTANT NEWS:

I found on a French site this news about a NEW FOCAL CLOSED HEADPHONE:

" A ce jour 3 modèles existent le Elear à 1.000 euros, le Clear à 1.500 euros et, l'Utopia à 4.000 euros. Tous ces casques sont de type ouverts. Début octobre 2018 un casque fermé à 1.000 euros viendra compléter cette offre."

https://www.opus51.fr/les-tests/item/875-focal-elear-le-test

=
"To this day, 3 models exist: the Elear for € 1000, the Clear for € 1500 and the Utopia for € 4000. All these headphones are of the open type. Beginning October a closed headphone for € 1000 will complete this offer."

Good to hear. The Z1R and HD 820 are really a joke for the price they ask.

I have more confidence in Focal to be able to produce a real high-end closed headphone.

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #8,838 of 20,602
I have the Focal Clear's, and I'm extremely happy with them... However, I've been on the fence about "upgrading" to the Utopia, especially with the price it is currently at right now. Should I do it or should I not? Keep in mind, I can only have one or the other due to budget constraints. Maybe someone with both of them could chime in?

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #8,839 of 20,602
I have the Focal Clear's, and I'm extremely happy with them... However, I've been on the fence about "upgrading" to the Utopia, especially with the price it is currently at right now. Should I do it or should I not? Keep in mind, I can only have one or the other due to budget constraints. Maybe someone with both of them could chime in?

Have you heard the Utopia before? If not, that's your first step.

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #8,840 of 20,602

Unless one doesn’t have a shop or friend nearby.

I took advantage of the 3K deal myself last year, blind. I don’t regret it, the Utopia to my ears is fantastic! I just got a Norse Audio Draug Silver for it and love the sound even more. :smile:

Oct 1, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #8,841 of 20,602

Haha.. I would love to, but I have no access to listen to one. Unfortunately, there are no shops near me.

Unless one doesn’t have a shop or friend nearby.

I took advantage of the 3K deal myself last year, blind. I don’t regret it, the Utopia to my ears is fantastic! I just got a Norse Audio Draug Silver for it and love the sound even more. :smile:

You're making me want to purchase them even more...

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #8,842 of 20,602
You're making me want to purchase them even more...

Having just bought the Clears, and liking them a lot, I imagine you’d be very happy with the Utopia, however, like a fine lens, it will reveal shortcomings in the signal chain. Not knowing what you use for your Clears, I’d imagine you might be tempted to get better electronics as well, so you have to factor that expense in, although that could always wait for awhile.

If the money is not prohibitive (then lucky you!), go for it while you can save 25%.

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #8,843 of 20,602
Dear all,

I have read your numerous messages and questions.

Regarding defective Utopia drivers, as already mentioned in the first pages of this thread, we experienced a voice coil fragility during early production batches. Not all headphones from these batches were affected. This problem which caused some drivers fragility has been identified, analyzed and fixed. We managed to take on defective headphones returns, but some units could be left on the market.

As this issue is identified by our Team, we have informed our distribution network and they know how to proceed in case of defective drivers. Indeed, all defective headphones under warranty (according to local warranty policies) will be repaired free of charge by the Focal Team (the driver will be replaced). Which is why we strongly recommend you to contact your local dealer (specifying the serial number of your product and attaching the invoice) if you are experiencing any issue with your headphones to ensure After Sales Service. Please note that the serial number and the invoice are compulsory to track your headphones.
The official warranty of Utopia, Clear and Elear headphones is 2 years by default. There are then specific cases in some countries for potential extension, please contact the local distributor to know the local warranty policy.

In conclusion, we are aware of this situation and will do our best to fix all defective headphones. Be sure we have reinforced our quality controls.

Your dealer is your main contact if you have any questions about your headphones and After-Sales Service but I stay at your disposal if necessary.

Thank you all for your understanding,

Best regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Last edited:
Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Oct 2, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #8,844 of 20,602
Dear all,

I have read your numerous messages and questions.

Regarding defective Utopia drivers, as already mentioned in the first pages of this thread, we experienced a voice coil fragility during early production batches. Not all headphones from these batches were affected. This problem which caused some drivers fragility has been identified, analyzed and fixed. We managed to take on defective headphones returns, but some units could be left on the market.

As this issue is identified by our Team, we have informed our distribution network and they know how to proceed in case of defective drivers. Indeed, all defective headphones under warranty (according to local warranty policies) will be repaired free of charge by the Focal Team (the driver will be replaced). Which is why we strongly recommend you to contact your local dealer (specifying the serial number of your product and attaching the invoice) if you are experiencing any issue with your headphones to ensure After Sales Service. Please note that the serial number and the invoice are compulsory to track your headphones.
The official warranty of Utopia, Clear and Elear headphones is 2 years by default. There are then specific cases in some countries for potential extension, please contact the local distributor to know the local warranty policy.

In conclusion, we are aware of this situation and will do our best to fix all defective headphones. Be sure we have reinforced our quality controls.

Your dealer is your main contact if you have any questions about your headphones and After-Sales Service but I stay at your disposal if necessary.

Thank you all for your understanding,

Best regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal
You should also make headband easily changable like Sennheiser do!!! Next time you Upgrade Utopia you can pull this of. Audeze, Hifiman, Sennheiser all have easily changeable headbands too!

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #8,846 of 20,602
Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Oct 2, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #8,847 of 20,602
Oct 2, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #8,849 of 20,602
What is considered early production.

In the period of July 2016 till around august 2016 or september 2016 there were some production delays which probably was this issue.

My order got a huge delay because of it back then.

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #8,850 of 20,602
Another question, s'il vous plait. Having the pair Chord Blue / Dave, I am inclined to add Utopia to my headphones, considering the proven synergy. However I wonder if it is the best choice to listen mainly to operas. Each headset has its favorite terrain, my HD800 is very good for the classic, where the LCD3 is basically useless there, while it is good with rock. So, for those of you who know them well, better Utopia for classical music or Abyss? Many thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back