Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 23, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #7,531 of 20,597
But on a $4000 headphone, one shouldn't have to change earpads (for those of a lower headphone) + change stock cable. CABLE COST THEM PEANUTS (less than 10% of the retail price).

You don't have to change these items. Some people just want to because they feel the sound is better, like the look, or the feel of the new cable. The ear pad swap will change the sound, but it totally a matter of personal preference. The stock utopia is perfectly wonderful as is.

May 23, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #7,533 of 20,597
I went to Norne's site and couldn't find the Focal in the Headphone Type. If @doraymon can help me, it'll be great..
They don't put all they have on the site, besides Trevor can build pretty much whatever you need in terms of connectors, splitters etc...
Just drop him an email and explain what you need, he will send you a quote.
Just to set expectations remember Norne is no amazon, it's a small artisan which makes fantastic quality cables at reasonable prices.
That means sometimes when he is very busy he might delay his response but he'll get things done eventually.
I will PM you his email address.

May 23, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #7,534 of 20,597
Edit: the more I listen the more I have the impression that hat the Utopia imorove on the "air" feeling (that is upper mids sound more crispy and are not covered by an overflowing bass) however what doesn't seem to change is the soundstage depth which is very limited. Soundstage width I can live with but again I'd love to have a tad of depth more.

Really?? To my ears, Utopia's soundstage depth is great with Crossfeed 1 from Chord Dave.

May 23, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #7,535 of 20,597
What I heard is Clear pads on Utopia tends to roll off the highs a little. Is that your experience with Clear pads too?

Yes, but imho it is rather a bit more bass and more lower mids with the Clear pads, which leads to the impression of slighly rolled off highs. Soundstage is larger with the Clear pads, but slightly less precise.

May 23, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #7,536 of 20,597
I just bought Lazuli Reference cables for my Hugo2→Utopia combo. I have to say that I am nervous spending that kind of money on cables. Anyone using this particular combo?
I've used the Lazuli Reference cable with my Utopia for over a year, initially with HugoTT, then Hugo2 and now DAVE. It is a great pairing with the Hugo2 and with the return policy there's no risk. Burn in is advised.

May 23, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #7,537 of 20,597
Really?? To my ears, Utopia's soundstage depth is great with Crossfeed 1 from Chord Dave.
Crossfeed just mixes some of the signal of each one of the two channels to the other. If anything, it should affect the left and right soundstage width, not the depth.
But of course things are never so simple so who knows?
When I say depth I mean the perceived distance between the source of the sound and myself. With the Clears I feel like sitting in row 20 while with Utopia in first row, with the singer "in your face".

May 23, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #7,538 of 20,597
You don't have to change these items. Some people just want to because they feel the sound is better, like the look, or the feel of the new cable. The ear pad swap will change the sound, but it totally a matter of personal preference. The stock utopia is perfectly wonderful as is.
I really don't think so a living in France, I know the stock utopia cable is made of very cheap cable. If you applu British rule of 15%, the retail price of the stock cable should be $600. It is around 1/4 of this price. Focal (as so many other brands in HiFi) deliberately leaves flaws so that we buy other things. Do I need that BIG shipping box ? Definitively NO. Do I need a Transport case ? YES but in France it costs $190.
Is it a very good HeadPhone YES. Is it a great one ? NO as in me definition, a great equipment has to give you more that you've paid for it. For the price of the utopia, I can buy a PM1 (which is delivered with a transport case :ghost:), a great headphone amp and a great cable. I've tried it on CDs but also on Vinyl and Hi-Rez (which I never see in reviews) and there are many improvments that can be done. When I have time, I open a small blog in France and this will be my conclusion.
I would be happy to exchange it against an Audeze LCD-4. When I have time, I open a small blog in France and this will be my conclusion.

They don't put all they have on the site, besides Trevor can build pretty much whatever you need in terms of connectors, splitters etc...
Just drop him an email and explain what you need, he will send you a quote.
Just to set expectations remember Norne is no amazon, it's a small artisan which makes fantastic quality cables at reasonable prices.
That means sometimes when he is very busy he might delay his response but he'll get things done eventually.
I will PM you his email address.
Thanx a lot. I buy many things from small artisans (some have grown up) in Europe such as the Cartridge Man, Graham SLEE, Korato. Many times, we get better quality that from the big brands from the same price. It is economically as major brands make economies of scale :hushed:

May 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #7,539 of 20,597
I really don't think so a living in France, I know the stock utopia cable is made of very cheap cable. If you applu British rule of 15%, the retail price of the stock cable should be $600. It is around 1/4 of this price. Focal (as so many other brands in HiFi) deliberately leaves flaws so that we buy other things. Do I need that BIG shipping box ? Definitively NO. Do I need a Transport case ? YES but in France it costs $190.
Is it a very good HeadPhone YES. Is it a great one ? NO as in me definition, a great equipment has to give you more that you've paid for it. For the price of the utopia, I can buy a PM1 (which is delivered with a transport case :ghost:), a great headphone amp and a great cable. I've tried it on CDs but also on Vinyl and Hi-Rez (which I never see in reviews) and there are many improvments that can be done. When I have time, I open a small blog in France and this will be my conclusion.
I would be happy to exchange it against an Audeze LCD-4. When I have time, I open a small blog in France and this will be my conclusion.

Thanx a lot. I buy many things from small artisans (some have grown up) in Europe such as the Cartridge Man, Graham SLEE, Korato. Many times, we get better quality that from the big brands from the same price. It is economically as major brands make economies of scale :hushed:

Can't say that I agree with the statements in bold. The stock cable is quite nice, just too long and cumbersome for most.

May 23, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #7,540 of 20,597

First of all what do the britts know any way lol (Just kidding)

It’s so funny to read all this conspiracy stuff of manufacturers trying to deliberately cheat you.

I’m sure in the computer world there many deliberate software issues. However it would not be advantageous for a company entering into a market with a deliberately inferior product since it would tank their brand and make it very hard to earn the trust of the consumer again.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 23, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #7,541 of 20,597
First of all what do the britts know any way lol (Just kidding)

It’s so funny to read all this conspiracy stuff of manufacturers trying to deliberately cheat you.

I’m sure in the computer world there many deliberate software issues. However it would not be advantageous for a company entering into a market with a deliberately inferior product since it would tank their brand and make it very hard to earn the trust of the consumer again.

"Pfff, what do you know. Based on the BOM pricing these cans should only cost about $500! They're screwing us!"

/s

May 23, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #7,542 of 20,597
"Pfff, what do you know. Based on the BOM pricing these cans should only cost about $500! They're screwing us!"

/s

What do I know? Well being a manufacturer myself I happen to know exactly how most of these companies work out their margins. Your argument is based on your opinion not based on fact or experience.

I like being challenged so I’ll continue to use my 46 years of business experience against your supposition any day. Hahaha cheers :)

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 23, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #7,543 of 20,597
What do I know? Well being a manufacturer myself I happen to know exactly how most of these companies work out their margins. Your argument is based on your opinion not based on fact or experience.

I like being challenged so I’ll continue to use my 46 years of business experience against your supposition any day. Hahaha cheers :)

[Just making sure you know I was joking]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back