Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 8, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #6,586 of 20,736
I have purchased 3.5mm cable to get a try on LG V20, that should be here in 2-3 weeks, and then I will share my "listen" here, given the fact that the headphones are 80 OHms, it should suffice, and be fun experience.

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #6,587 of 20,736
In the past I've talked about how I wasn't really a fan of the Utopia through my Mojo (feed by USB from my laptop and Nexus 6P). I've primarily used it on the go, stacked with my phone to drive the Andros and really liked the combo, but the Utopia always sounded a bit brittle/harsh from the Mojo. It's hard to describe it, almost a "digital" sound that was pretty contrary to the "warm", "musical", "inviting" nature I'd read about in many impressions/reviews.

I decided to experiment a bit and try out a Schiit Eitr so I could use coax instead of USB to feed the Mojo. After about 20 hours of listening I'm all but convinced I was feeding it with bad sources, I could hear the difference pretty straight away. It sounds like I've heard it described, a bit warm, smoothing out some of the sharp edges up top a bit. The sound stage seems to be smaller, but in a good way, it seems to make everything a bit more cohesive. Imaging and instrument separation are still great, as is layering, it's just that everything seems less disjointed than compared to the bimby/asgard 2 stack.

I actually prefer this setup to my stack, in fact the bimby/asgard 2 combo are on their way to a new owner near Chicago as I type. Now I feel like I need to give the Hugo 2 a longer audition with the right source, I'm liking the "Chord sound".

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #6,588 of 20,736
Does anyone on the Thread have any experience with any of the Ampandsound Amps with the Utopia? Tried the Kenzie with the Clear at the Nashville Meet, my brief listen was quite positive.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #6,589 of 20,736
Does anyone on the Thread have any experience with any of the Ampandsound Amps with the Utopia? Tried the Kenzie with the Clear at the Nashville Meet, my brief listen was quite positive.

That is sort of an unsung combo. I’ve tried it in our store and it is really a very juicy pairing. The Utopia goes well with a lot but that particular pairing is really very cool. The Kenzie I noticed pairs nicely with all planar MrSpeakers and very well with the Focal premium headphones. What I like is it’s warmth without any vail and the highs don’t roll off quickly like other tube amps tend to do. The detail is maintained while still hitting hard if you ask it to. I’m a fan of ampsandsound products. Justin is good people too.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 8, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #6,590 of 20,736
That is sort of an unsung combo. I’ve tried it in our store and it is really a very juicy pairing. The Utopia goes well with a lot but that particular pairing is really very cool. The Kenzie I noticed pairs nicely with all planar MrSpeakers and very well with the Focal premium headphones. What I like is it’s warmth without any vail and the highs don’t roll off quickly like other tube amps tend to do. The detail is maintained while still hitting hard if you ask it to. I’m a fan of ampsandsound products. Justin is good people too.

Jason, thank you, I appreciate your feedback!

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #6,592 of 20,736
Does someone know a good replacement cable for the Utopia that is 2 meters long max?
I like designs like this:
129843_365f08e2dc52ad5d522fb500cf53d2dd_orig-650x650.jpg

It should be silver plated copper. 500€ max.

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #6,594 of 20,736
Mar 10, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #6,597 of 20,736
In the past I've talked about how I wasn't really a fan of the Utopia through my Mojo

Now I feel like I need to give the Hugo 2 a longer audition with the right source, I'm liking the "Chord sound".
I have had a chance to spend some time listening to the Hugo 2 and Utopia and I was thoroughly impressed. You have to spend a lot more more money on an amp and/or DAC to outclass the Hugo 2/Utopia pairing. It does everything very well. For the money, I think you would be getting a LOT of performance.

As an aside - I think a Hugo 2 paired with the "cheaper" Focal Clear is price : performance ratio winner!

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #6,598 of 20,736
Get an 8-braided OCC silver cable today, I would say I really enjoy the sound, feel more engaging. The most important thing is lightweight!
That is certainly a nice looking cable. Care to share a few details? Manufacturer? price?

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #6,599 of 20,736
I have had a chance to spend some time listening to the Hugo 2 and Utopia and I was thoroughly impressed. You have to spend a lot more more money on an amp and/or DAC to outclass the Hugo 2/Utopia pairing. It does everything very well. For the money, I think you would be getting a LOT of performance.

As an aside - I think a Hugo 2 paired with the "cheaper" Focal Clear is price : performance ratio winner!

Thanks for the insight. I'll probably end up picking one up used since the prices seem to be pretty reasonable.

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #6,600 of 20,736
That is certainly a nice looking cable. Care to share a few details? Manufacturer? price?
I got a nice adapter you know it, It is a DHC cable I purchase from another head-fier.
First of all, I am not a cable person.I was just want something to replace the stock cable cause as I said, I really feel it's heavy, it always touch my shoulder and I can't laid down when I use it.
This cable has some defect but I still gonna keep it because of the lightweight.
But I would say silver cable really has some different sound compared to pure copper, I have the same brand 8-braided copper and I tried I don't feel any different from stock cable. but silver is even more detail.
I don't know that is my illusion it sounds louder. crystal clear.also, it is very bright, some may don't like it, but I really like it.
I may end up getting a new silver cable with lemo adapter now.

微信图片_20180309222247.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back