Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 11, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3,151 of 20,602
All reasonable opinions! Did you purchase from us? If so thanks for the trust and business. If not, enjoy them anyway ....we think they are great!

Jason, sorry I was not fast enough to pull my wallet out in three seconds and missed a great deal (50%) off :D Yes, I got it from Wayne. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,152 of 20,602
Jason, sorry I was not fast enough to pull my wallet out in three seconds and missed a great deal (50%) off :D Yes, I got it from Wayne. Thanks.

Hahaha you gotta be quick brother!!! Enjoy the Utopia

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 11, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #3,153 of 20,602
What Hi-Fi have just reviewed the focal utopia and describe them as one of the finest headphones on the planet.☺

Just came to this thread after purchasing a set of Utopias from Source AV at the SoCal CanJam last weekend. The What Hi-Fi review aligns pretty much exactly with my thoughts about these fabulous headphones.

https://www.whathifi.com/focal/utopia/review

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #3,154 of 20,602
Although I don't enjoy the Utopias sound.. every time I see it I am so impressed by how amazing it looks. It's got a very aggressive, masculine appearance to it. Just gorgeous. Elear too.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #3,155 of 20,602
  Here's something to lighten the mood around here...

Anyone know what the LEMO connectors on the Utopia are rated for in the way of insertions over the lifetime of the connector?

The answer was discovered years ago!

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #3,157 of 20,602
  Here's something to lighten the mood around here...

Anyone know what the LEMO connectors on the Utopia are rated for in the way of insertions over the lifetime of the connector?

You got me curious. I checked. According to the data sheet for the "b series", page 12, ">5000 cycles".

This is the part number: FGG.0B.302
FGG.0B.302.CLAD52Z - chrome, like I used on my cable. $20-$40 depending on where you get it.
FGG.0B.302.KLAD52Z - black finish - very hard to get
FGG.0B.302.NLAD52Z - nickel finish - never seen

There are clones on Alibaba and AliExpress for $5-8. Might be OK.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #3,158 of 20,602
  Somewhere around 100-125 hours, and I'm just in awe of this headphone. My speakers are feeling totally unused and unappreciated these days. 

Sound is so smooth, effortless, and clear. The soundstage began small, located just outside my head, but now it's a purely inside-the-head experience. 

I've got a good DAC now, but I should have a great DAC in about 10 days...Can't wait to see how the sound changes. 

Same experience. These headphones really start to sound amazing after 100 hours of use. I shelved the Abyss AB-1266 and haven't felt the need to switch back.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #3,159 of 20,602

Thanks for your review, impressions and thoughts on the Utopia. Always helpful to hear more personal insights on these headphones. Great to hear that you are very satisfied  with the Utopias.

In a subsequent post I think you say that you are in agreement with zachawry on the soundstage 'being inside your head.' Is that correct, since the way I understand your post above, the soundstage is quite wide, though not as wide as the HD800?. I don't read it as 'being inside your head' (from above). If I'm wrong in my understanding, please let me know. Either way, can you elaborate more? Thanks.

I am very satisfied with the Focal Utopia. For me they are reigning champion and having once owned the LCD-4, I feel that they are superior in almost every sonic aspect except for sub-bass and bass extension, but when not directly comparing, I feel that they're not lacking either. Like Tyll Hertsen from Inner Fidelity, I too boost my sub-bass up a bit, but only for genre's like EDM, Hip-Hop, or R&B where it calls for it. With every other genre, I feel as though it is perfect.

I use his settings and it works well with my setup since it's built to be neutral.
Computer > Singxer SU-1 > Metrum Pavane (custom I²S) > AMB BETA 22 > Focal Utopia

I agreed with his analogy on there needing time for the ear, audio gear, or mind to grasp the audio rendering of the headphones to better visualize an "in your head experience". I don't feel they sound like IEM, but I can see perhaps some insight of his depiction on the matter. IEM's, custom molded ones to be more exact brings a level of intimacy, refinement, focus, and forwardness to sound characteristics. This is similar to what benefits I hear the minute I switch from a HD800S to Utopia. The width of the Utopia is indeed still wider than it's depth of field, but because now it's more like a square rather than a rectangle, the listener starts to perceive a more personalized sense of space. It's clear and vivid in it's images, and even though smaller, it's emitted sound is not any less expansive. Being the open design that it is, sound still starts from the center and expands outward into the darkness. The way they travel is just simply way easier to sonically visualize when using the Utopia's more-so than with the HD800's or any other headphone I ever come across. Just so much focus on the fine detailing is why I believe he spoke on the relevance to IEM's.

In comparison, the HD800S is like an orchestra where everyone plays music pieces through their own time domain of arrangements. The Utopia however is like a professional orchestra with fine instruments that follows the maestro or conductor. To every flick of his wand, the right natural timbre's are produced with timed precision. Sounds emanate and decay accordingly in a faithful and realistic fashion to help create an intimate and harmonious flow of music. The wand moves back and forth and the orchestra moving with it, and in that midst, a 3D wave of sound rolls by with a rich dense layer. The HD800S feels to me like a band that just play flat pieces one after the next. It's thin and un-involving. It's timbre's aren't realistic, bass lacking, mid-range restraint, sound stage artificially wide with gaps between instruments and vocals, and high's are still piercing. An analogy... an orchestra with mid level equipment. Drums that are not big enough, violins that aren't properly tuned with a harsh sharpness to them that needs tweaking, instruments that are made with cheap oak trees thus doesn't sound very rich, personnel who needs to sit more uniform to one another to fill up the stage, and the vocalist who needs to take a few steps forward and lean closer into the mic. More can be said.

Don't get me wrong, the HD800S is still the second best headphones that I have ever owned. It's just when I directly compare it to the Utopia's, instantly there's so much to be desired. Once an end game equipment for audio reproduction, now just gaming headphones.

If I could change anything about the Utopia to make it more perfect, I'd stretch the sound stage width by 10%, increase sub-bass by 2-3dB, and have the phones weigh at 400g (instead of 490). I'd also prefer if it came with two shorter 2M cables, one balanced, one single ended rather than a super long 4M unbalanced cable. Other than that, not much to be said. I haven't heard these with the Elear pads so maybe will give it a try later on in the future. Heard that it gives a bit more bass.

I just put a bit of lube on and slide in, less friction,as for the connectors I have no idea

I recommend Deoxit Gold and D-Series for all connections.

You got me curious. I checked. According to the data sheet for the "b series", page 12, ">5000 cycles".

This is the part number: FGG.0B.302
FGG.0B.302.CLAD52Z - chrome, like I used on my cable. $20-$40 depending on where you get it.
FGG.0B.302.KLAD52Z - black finish - very hard to get
FGG.0B.302.NLAD52Z - nickel finish - never seen

There are clones on Alibaba and AliExpress for $5-8. Might be OK.

I wonder if the hard to sought after black finish would look good when being connected to the Focal Utopia. If the cable and the connector is all black, there's less visual distinction when plugging into the headphones and that might tarnish it's aesthetics. What do you think? I'm thinking of getting myself a connector and in the middle about the black finish, but if the choice was either chrome or nickel, then chrome for sure.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,160 of 20,602
I was able to switch to the Norne Silver Draug 2 (with 24 cores) and in under thirty seconds I can tell a difference in sound stage and air. It was immediately obvious to me there is more air and spaciousness with the Draug. I couldn't believe my ears so I grabbed couple of dealers by me and confirm what I heard. .

I had a look at the Norne site and could not find the Draug in silver. Do you have a link? How much are they?

I have the Axios in copper for my Utopias as the silver is outrageously priced. I seem to recall the hybrids also being extremely pricey.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #3,161 of 20,602
I had a look at the Norne site and could not find the Draug in silver. Do you have a link? How much are they?

I have the Axios in copper for my Utopias as the silver is outrageously priced. I seem to recall the hybrids also being extremely pricey.

You will have to write to Trevor on his site. He can talk to you about the various option and prices. I will pm you.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #3,163 of 20,602
Home with the Utopias from CanJam. They seem to really like the Moon 430HAD. Let the fun begin!

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #3,164 of 20,602
  Home with the Utopias from CanJam. They seem to really like the Moon 430HAD. Let the fun begin!

I too liked them on the Moon Neo 430HAD. It's just so darn neutral and when paired with the Utopia, they're a match made in heaven.

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #3,165 of 20,602

I too liked them on the Moon Neo 430HAD. It's just so darn neutral and when paired with the Utopia, they're a match made in heaven.

I'm 200 hours into my 300 hour burn-in of my new 430HAD with the Utopias (had about 50 hours on them already).  It's definitely a nice match at this point...will be curious to see if I hear any different after finishing the last 100 hours of burn-in that Simaudio recommends on the 430HAD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back