Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 26, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #1,982 of 20,796
I was wondering if anyone else might be pairing the Utopia with an Oppo HA-1. I would like to hear any comments you may have regarding which gain setting your using and if you are running the Utopia balanced or not.
I'm enjoying the pairing of the two myself. Just want to hear the thoughts of others.

I am running my Utopia out of my Audicom special edition HA-1. I am using a balanced 4pin XLR Black Dragon now but started out like many others with the stock cable. I prefer the balanced option and have never returned back to the single ended option. After various trials I have ended using the low gain setting. That's what seems to suit my ears best. I am also enjoying the pairing very much. There is absolutely no background noise, the sound is never harsh in anyway. I think the HA-1 presents transparently what's already there in the recording. I think the combo can highlight poor mastered recordings but not overly so or in a way that makes the listening experience fatiguing. I would also say that this combo has cost me lots of lost hours as I've been scrolling through my music library, listening to tracks that I haven't listened to for ages and thinking how great they sound.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #1,983 of 20,796
Well said. I have also enjoyed the HA-1 and agree that "transparency" is a cornerstone characteristic. I of course do not have the breadth of experience with other pairings--just the Oppo and a Dragonfly Red. Your comment about zero noise or hiss is also one of the endearing traights of this amp. With Utopia and the Oppo you get what is "there" and nothing more. I also have Edition X (great pairing with HA-1) and HE-400i (at times harsh-not the best pairing with either the Oppo or Dragonfly imo) and I feel that after a month of owning the Utopia that it is the best pairing of the three with HA-1. Finally, also agree with standard gain setting when used with the 4-pin balanced connection-I just re-terminated the standard cable with Neutrik.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #1,984 of 20,796
I think the overall build quality, versatility with the number of input options, both a balanced and single-ended design, aesthetics, and a great remote control make the HA-1 a winner. Which is why I still own it. This is especially good at its price point.

However, it does have its flaws. While it is correct that it has a quite noise floor when used with something like the Utopia, it is very noisy with sensitive IEMs like the Shure SE846.

Its Sabre DAC implementation is less than ideal, leaving the infamous Sabre glare signature to its sound. The overall output is bright resulting in fatiguing sibilance. Pairing it with the HE-400i is downright awful since they are each enhancing the other's worst qualities. The same is true of the HD-800.

For those using the HA-1 and interested in hearing what the Utopia can really do with a true noiseless amp that is very close to neutral, I would suggest you hear the Cavalli Liquid Gold.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,985 of 20,796
I think the overall build quality, versatility with the number of input options, both a balanced and single-ended design, aesthetics, and a great remote control make the HA-1 a winner. Which is why I still own it. This is especially good at its price point.

However, it does have its flaws. While it is correct that it has a quite noise floor when used with something like the Utopia, it is very noisy with sensitive IEMs like the Shure SE846.

Its Sabre DAC implementation is less than ideal, leaving the infamous Sabre glare signature to its sound. The overall output is bright resulting in fatiguing sibilance. Pairing it with the HE-400i is downright awful since they are each enhancing the other's worst qualities. The same is true of the HD-800.

For those using the HA-1 and interested in hearing what the Utopia can really do with a true noiseless amp that is very close to neutral, I would suggest you hear the Cavalli Liquid Gold

I would love the opportunity to try the Cavalli Liquid Gold but not easy here in the UK. I totally agree the Ha-1 definitely has a lot going for it, esp at the price point. I don't use it with IEM's, nor do I intend as I use my QPIR for that purpose so I can't comment on the noise issue with IEM's. I can't even comment on the standard HA-1 for that matter. Perhaps it would be interesting for me to compare my audiocom version to the standard version at some point in the future. Apparantly the audicom version is all about upgrades that reduce "noise".
One point I would challenge though is the "Sabre glare"comment as I would not describe what im listening to as "bright" in anyway. I would describe it as neutral but not bright! I would describe this amp as a amp that does not add any colouration either way. To me you simply here what's there in the music. That being said I can totally understand why it's not a good pairing with anything that already has a brighter sound signature like to ones you mention above.
I would be very interested to here more about your experience with the Utopia/Liquid Gold pairing

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,986 of 20,796
I was somewhat less than impressed by the Liquid Gold that I've heard so far-I really think they should upgrade their DACs at meets and conventions. 

At Axpona in Chicago last year, the Cavalli table was right next to the Headamp table; both had the same headphones and I was able to go back and forth. Basically the GS-X mk ii destroyed everything on the Cavalli table and I bought the GS-X mk ii. 

I now attribute it to the GS-X having a far superior DAC, but even coming straight out of an iPad or phone it's extremely hard separating the GS-X mk ii from the Liquid Gold. Both are neutral and I'm going to resist the temptation to say *extremely* neutral because as a pro it either is or isn't. 

I don't feel either amp has imagery that jumps out at you like say a Chord Dave. 

As far as sheer musicality and ambience/holography I'd place a modded HA-1 ahead of both the GS-X mk ii and the Liquid Gold as far as the Utopia is concerned.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,987 of 20,796
I was somewhat less than impressed by the Liquid Gold that I've heard so far-I really think they should upgrade their DACs at meets and conventions. 

At Axpona in Chicago last year, the Cavalli table was right next to the Headamp table; both had the same headphones and I was able to go back and forth. Basically the GS-X mk ii destroyed everything on the Cavalli table and I bought the GS-X mk ii. 

I now attribute it to the GS-X having a far superior DAC, but even coming straight out of an iPad or phone it's extremely hard separating the GS-X mk ii from the Liquid Gold. Both are neutral and I'm going to resist the temptation to say *extremely* neutral because as a pro it either is or isn't. 

I don't feel either amp has imagery that jumps out at you like say a Chord Dave. 

As far as sheer musicality and ambience/holography I'd place a modded HA-1 ahead of both the GS-X mk ii and the Liquid Gold as far as the Utopia is concerned.

Never let it be said that opinions are not abundant. It would be my opinion that the Gold & GS-X are superior on any headphone over a modded or non-modded HA1. IMO.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 26, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,990 of 20,796
Any suggestions on a DAC/Amp combo unit for the Utopia that would be balanced out.  The only two I can think of are the TotalDac and Sony TA-ZH1ES.  Also want something a little more up the chain than the OPPO HA1.  Basically looking for a Balanced DAC with volume control that can drive the Utopia.  

I have considered the DAVE, but want balanced.

I'm a firm believer in "the less gear in the chain, the truer the signal".  

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #1,991 of 20,796
Any suggestions on a DAC/Amp combo unit for the Utopia that would be balanced out.  The only two I can think of are the TotalDac and Sony TA-ZH1ES.  Also want something a little more up the chain than the OPPO HA1.  Basically looking for a Balanced DAC with volume control that can drive the Utopia.  

I'm a firm believer in "the less gear in the chain, the truer the signal".  Get the Sony ES, its what I use and is a stellar pairing

Thanks.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 26, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,992 of 20,796

Thanks.

The Bricasti Design M1 DAC is a dual-mono design throughout with, I gather, a good HP output that works well with the Utopia,  according to another Head-Fi participant.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #1,993 of 20,796

Thanks.

Would you give a chance to a chinese product?

I bought a used Audio GD Reference 10.32 with upgraded Amanero 384 USB board. It's a really musical dac/headamp/preamp with multibit PCM 1704UK dac chips (4 of them in dual configuration) and it's a fully balanced design. Tons of power. Go see pictures of it's internal and specs. Really impressive. But it's massive. 17 X17 and 35 pounds. Is replacement (current model)is the Master 11. Unbeatable value at his price apparently.

Since I heard the Audio GD, I sold my Bryston BHA-1 (really good amp) and my Nad M51. And I have no regrets.

But I'm waiting for my Utopia to arrive to listen with the Audio GD. I previously listen to the reference 10.32 with my now sold LCD-2.2 for three months and I just got the Elear (loaner from the dealer where I bought the Utopia) last night.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #1,994 of 20,796
I think I unfairly slighted the Utopia's sound-stage in my initial impressions. I don't know if burn in had anything to do with it but I did notice the sound stage opening up a little bit through my HA-1. Yeah I know it's not the best dac in the world but it does give me a way to compare the utopias to my old cans without changing too many variables. I agree with the general assessment that the HA-1 is bright, and the Utopia does not hide it. I think it is to the Utopia's credit that it can handle a brighter than neutral dac/amp and still sound incredible.

Now about the soundstage. I realize this is apples to oranges, but I decided to listen to some of my favorite albums on my turntable instead of my hi quality digital files. I really don't want this to turn into an analog vs. digital post, but the soundstage I had been missing through my DAC was quite present with my analog rig. It isn't as wide as the HD800, but I found it to be an amply wide sound stage with incredible detail. I wanted to make sure this wasn't just the result of a great pressing, so I tried quite a few works on both systems. First off was a wonderful Telarc Cleveland Symphonic Winds record. Then I followed it up with the incredible Dorati 1812 overture. Then I switched gears and put on Led Zeppelin IV. The common theme was that the sound stage was considerably wider in my analog playback system compared to my digital rig. In both analog and digital tests I used the built in headphone amp on the Oppo on low gain single ended. I'm sure part of the disparity is the difference between the different formats. That being said the cans are clearly capable of a better soundstage than my dac is creating. So I'm left with the realization that the Oppo DAC, while still sounding great with the Utopia, is definitely hampering the Utopia's potential. For full disclosure I have a Project 2Xperience classic turntable and I installed a Sumiko blue point Evo III cartridge three months ago.

I wish I hadn't done this comparison. I was overall quite happy with my system. Now I'm contemplating a DAC and or headphone amp upgrade. My poor wallet..It's probably a good thing I don't have a spouse. I can only imagine how far in the dog house I'd be right now.  

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #1,995 of 20,796
I think I unfairly slighted the Utopia's sound-stage in my initial impressions. I don't know if burn in had anything to do with it but I did notice the sound stage opening up a little bit through my HA-1. Yeah I know it's not the best dac in the world but it does give me a way to compare the utopias to my old cans without changing too many variables. I agree with the general assessment that the HA-1 is bright, and the Utopia does not hide it. I think it is to the Utopia's credit that it can handle a brighter than neutral dac/amp and still sound incredible.

Now about the soundstage. I realize this is apples to oranges, but I decided to listen to some of my favorite albums on my turntable instead of my hi quality digital files. I really don't want this to turn into an analog vs. digital post, but the soundstage I had been missing through my DAC was quite present with my analog rig. It isn't as wide as the HD800, but I found it to be an amply wide sound stage with incredible detail. I wanted to make sure this wasn't just the result of a great pressing, so I tried quite a few works on both systems. First off was a wonderful Telarc Cleveland Symphonic Winds record. Then I followed it up with the incredible Dorati 1812 overture. Then I switched gears and put on Led Zeppelin IV. The common theme was that the sound stage was considerably wider in my analog playback system compared to my digital rig. In both analog and digital tests I used the built in headphone amp on the Oppo on low gain single ended. I'm sure part of the disparity is the difference between the different formats. That being said the cans are clearly capable of a better soundstage than my dac is creating. So I'm left with the realization that the Oppo DAC, while still sounding great with the Utopia, is definitely hampering the Utopia's potential. For full disclosure I have a Project 2Xperience classic turntable and I installed a Sumiko blue point Evo III cartridge three months ago.

I wish I hadn't done this comparison. I was overall quite happy with my system. Now I'm contemplating a DAC and or headphone amp upgrade. My poor wallet..It's probably a good thing I don't have a spouse. I can only imagine how far in the dog house I'd be right now.  

Get the Chord DAVE. Sounds incredible with the Utopia and no issues with soundstage as the DAVE can resolve extremely subtle cues of the venue very well, and the Utopia keeps up. I used to own the HA-1 and while it's ok for the price there is absolutely no comparison (lol, price included). Sorry about your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back