Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #1,861 of 20,602

I don't know what world you live in but to the majority of people spending 5K on a pair of heaphones no matter what quality they deliver is over the top.

Yes there will always be people who are willing to spend this much and it's great for them and that should not take away that they are overpriced.

Well I live on a place called Earth!!! honestly it's a bit hypocritical to call a $4k headphone wildly over the top then go and purchase $2300 headphones. The majority of people think anything over $1000 is probably over the top!! In this forum we are a select few who have an appreciation for headphones and are willing to pay more than the majority of people.

I respect both sides of this argument. My perspective is, how far do you have to go with speakers to get anywhere near the top of the sound quality that is possible nowadays? Magico, Avante Garde, Sonus Faber retail at 40K+ for the higher performing models. For the level these speakers attain you can get close, or maybe even surpass them with the best HPs on the market IMO. Yes the soundstage is very different and some don't dig it, but sonically in my view we are in the same ball park on sonics.

Taking this on board, we are talking 5K for a top HP v 40K+ for a pair of those speakers. It comes down to perceptions of how important that end game headphone is to you, and how much you want the extra SQ on offer. The physical size and apparent low level of materials involved in a HP might seem crazy compared to a big pair of speakers, but it is fairly difficult IMO to get HPs to perform how we want them. 

And in my home environment playing music loud enough to get my fix is not always possible or practical. I enjoy both HPs and speakers TBH and think having both adds to the enjoyment of music. My addiction to HPs started when I lived with my parents and I managed to save for a half decent setup at 18 years old. I got hooked on it then, and have always had a half decent system alongside speakers. 

For those audiophiles who really want the best sound from their music collection you can get really close to that with HPs costing circa 5K (ignoring the SE-1). Now if I want the absolute best in speaker setups, well, 1 million USD at least......

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #1,862 of 20,602
  I don't know what world you live in but to the majority of people spending 5K on a pair of heaphones no matter what quality they deliver is over the top.

Yes there will always be people who are willing to spend this much and it's great for them and that should not take away that they are overpriced.

​You clearly believe they are overpriced, however "the market" is buying them and Focal sales budgets have been exceeded. People don't usually buy overpriced items unless they are a necessity (like an emergency heart operation in a hospital may be a necessity but may also be seen as overpriced). So those buying them willingly are parting with their money. You are not. So that's OK too. Whilst the market is buying them, the price will likely remain at the current levels. Only when sale nose-dive is there a chance that prices may fall. Don't hold your breath on the price falling significantly.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #1,864 of 20,602

​You clearly believe they are overpriced, however "the market" is buying them and Focal sales budgets have been exceeded. People don't usually buy overpriced items unless they are a necessity (like an emergency heart operation in a hospital may be a necessity but may also be seen as overpriced). So those buying them willingly are parting with their money. You are not. So that's OK too. Whilst the market is buying them, the price will likely remain at the current levels. Only when sale nose-dive is there a chance that prices may fall. Don't hold your breath on the price falling significantly.

Really, people everywhere around the world say things are overpriced but still buy it. It doesn't have to be a necessity, it could be a hobby, it could be that they want to treat themselves to a luxury product, it could be that they sold something to buy or saved for it but that doesn't mean it changed their mind over the price.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #1,865 of 20,602

​...People don't usually buy overpriced items unless they are a necessity (like an emergency heart operation in a hospital may be a necessity but may also be seen as overpriced). ...

I'm sure there will be plenty of whiners who will complain just as loudly about any portion of the medical bills they have to pay themselves, as well as what they had to shell out for the insurance to begin with, even though it saved their lives.

No one is forcing anyone to buy these products. If they didn't wait to get all the facts on the cost of ownership before buying it that's their look out. Why should any manufacturer sell a product at any price but what they feel the market can bear. And if the market can't bear a price that includes all costs up to the start of manufacturing plus the maximum profit they think they can make they would be stupid to go ahead and build and market the product at all.

Does anyone really think they can affect a manufacturers pricing by complaining on a forum? The only way consumers can do that is by not purchasing the product. Other than that complain directly to the manufacturer, they set the prices.

Headphones are not a necessity, they are a luxury regardless of price. Food, water, and air are necessities. Choose wisely.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,866 of 20,602
I can definitely understand why people feel that flagship headphones are overpriced. On the other hand we're talking about businesses that are trying to make money. Most businesses want to maximize profits. Focal is a business. Do I think they wanted to make the best headphone they could? Absolutely. They also wanted to turn a healthy profit. With lower volume items like flagship headphones it makes sense to have a higher profit margin built into the sell price. Focal priced their flagship with their target audience in mind. The real question is whether the target audience for the Utopia would buy the headphones at the MSRP. Many of us did so I find it hard to say the headphones are overpriced. Everything is worth what the buyer will pay for it. I will say that the Utopia was not marketed to every headphone enthusiast. They targeted the people that are able and willing to spend a rather steep price to get the best headphones on the market. I'm blessed to be at a point financially where I am able to spend that kind of money on headphones. After a few weeks with these headphones I can say that, for me, these cans are worth the price tag. It will be a long time before I seriously entertain the thought of any further headphone purchases.

Everyone has a limit to what they are willing to spend in this hobby. I don't fault anyone who refuses to spend this kind of money on headphones. It's your money after all! Let's just be glad that we live in a time where good headphones can be had at almost any price point!

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #1,867 of 20,602
People are acting like high priced headphones is a first for any market in the history of business. Prices going up is the natural effect of a market becoming more popular, and hence, more exploited.

In 5 years, possibly before, $10K headphones will be commonplace. Do you think the speaker market started out with $50K products? As with any new market/technology, it grew over time.

Everyone has free will; invest or not. Only a choice, no need to bash those who choose differently to you. We all value things differently and invest time, emotion and money differently.

If music—especially highly accurate and organic music—enriches your life and makes you a happier person, in my opinion, it's an investment you'd be stupid not to take (if it's within your means). I invest in sound as I'm actually investing in my happiness. Life responsibilities aside, what's more important?

Nothing :¬)

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #1,868 of 20,602

There's a difference between buying a $5K/$2K headphones and disregarding the extreme cost of them.

Yes, a lot of people on this forum buy $2K+ headphones but that doesn't mean they're not overpriced.

There is no difference between a $2000 or a $5000 headphone because if you value price / performance, you buy the $200 HD 6XX and not a $1000 or $2000 headphone.

I'm pretty sure the $200 HD6XX is currently the best headphone in the world in terms what you get for the money spend.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,869 of 20,602

I'm pretty sure the $200 HD6XX is currently the best headphone in the world in terms what you get for the money spend.

I would put the modded HE6 ahead of the HD6xx for value. I like my HD600, but the performance of the modded HE6 is far, far above it.

I would rate the modded HE6, well driven, as second only to my Utopia in terms of overall SQ/enjoyment. Beats everything else I have owned (HD800/HD800S/LCD-X/Ether Flow). That's pretty impressive bang for $1,300 bucks, and it can be had for quite a bit less than that if you look around. As a value proposition it is pretty phenomenal (YMMV).

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #1,870 of 20,602

I would put the modded HE6 ahead of the HD6xx for value. I like my HD600, but the performance of the modded HE6 is far, far above it.

I would rate the modded HE6, well driven, as second only to my Utopia in terms of overall SQ/enjoyment. Beats everything else I have owned (HD800/HD800S/LCD-X/Ether Flow). That's pretty impressive bang for $1,300 bucks, and it can be had for quite a bit less than that if you look around. As a value proposition it is pretty phenomenal (YMMV).

+1. Only for me it is the HD800 and 007mk1. Owned Lcd-X, HE-1kver.1, sr-009, He-6. Demoed Lcd-4, Utopia.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #1,871 of 20,602
If music—especially highly accurate and organic music—enriches your life and makes you a happier person, in my opinion, it's an investment you'd be stupid not to take (if it's within your means). I invest in sound as I'm actually investing in my happiness. Life responsibilities aside, what's more important?

Nothing :¬)

Best post all year^

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #1,872 of 20,602
More info here
http://www.focal.com/headphones/

The utopia is $4000;

Interesting.

Picture from Woo Audio

Let's keep this civil, and focused on the Focal Utopia and Elear

Thanks

Elear Impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811961/focal-elear-impressions-thread
Head-fi preview thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv

That looks so sexy

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #1,873 of 20,602

Nothing :¬)

That...wow. You really hit the nail on the head. We all have real world responsibilities and cares that weigh us down. We endure them because we must. The hustle and bustle of modern life takes a lot out of us all. This hobby gives us all a reason to sit back, relax, and enjoy the music. I get to leave my worries behind (if only for a moment) and just be happy. Money doesn't buy happiness, but money spent on a passion that brings happiness to your life can be one of the greatest investments you will ever make.

Quote:

Let's keep this civil, and focused on the Focal Utopia and Elear

Thanks

I could really stand to listen to my Utopia through that lovely Woo Amp. Then again if I liked what I heard I'd be really tempted to pull the trigger and buy that gorgeous amp. My checking account would not be amused. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #1,874 of 20,602
 Well 4k is a bit out of my budget level . But 1 or 2 k is possible. I guess that is reality . But these new superphones are definitely being priced ever higher. But compared to speakers the price is down right reasonable. Speakers can be nice but there are quite bit of room issues that can prevent them from obtaining what is ultimately capable of them. That is one thing about headphones room issues can be much less of an issue(open back phones do have some issues with environmental sound) . There are a lot of people who just do not consider headphones as serious tools for high fidelity . But I think that belief is becoming much harder to defend. Some of these new higher end headphone designs can more than hold there own against just about any of the newer high end speaker designs. In fact as far as low level information they definitely have huge advantages over speakers. I find that when you have a really good set up you will hear low level information that is just plain impossible for any loudspeaker to produce at least at any sane listening level. I regularly pick up really low level information that I could not hear with my loudspeaker set up.
   If you can get a piece of heaven at 4-5 k as opposed to 250k for the most esoteric speaker designs that is a bargain.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #1,875 of 20,602
Yoga makes a nice point but when you have a very large group of people that has had their ears watered down by beats and entering into their prime earning years there is an awfully good chance imo that most totl headphones are not going to have a good price to performance ratio. If you have money to burn and music makes you happy then of course make yourself happy but do your research. Don't just throw your money at it. That just keeps this $3k+headphone circle of nonsense going and then it's a $6k+ circle. Give the old guard 007mk1, hd800, he-6 a chance. Don't just spend $3k+ to be part of the crowd.

The Utopia to be fair is one of the few $3k+ headphones that I have felt were worth close to asking price. Get it down to $3k even and they have something I can recommend.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back