Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 1, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #1,415 of 20,584
  @Mystel,
Can you describe the Utopia match with Ragnarok vs Studio 6? 

I'm kinda bad at giving impressions but i'll try
With the rag(Medium gain), I find the utopias more detailed, clean and transparent. Also its less dynamic to my ears. Bass is somewhat punchier and faster, mids are thinner and dryer, while treble is really detailed and rolled off, which is what the rag kinda does. Overall a brighter sound. Might be a solid state thing
I'm currently waiting for a balanced cable for the utopia to arrive, so im still using the rag's SE out. I am aware that the rag is best when using its balanced out
With the six(stock tubes), the Utopias sound more tubey, lush and organic. Theres more bass, more body to it. Mids are sweeter and more musical. Treble kinda loses out in detail. The six opens up the sound on the utopias. 

Personally, I dont prefer either. I have the rag set up in my study, and the six in my bedroom. Both are excellent amps and imo a good match with the utopias

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #1,416 of 20,584

Impressions?

sorry for the late reply. well thankfully the utopia is not too difficult to make it sound good. The CMA800i is definitely not the best combi i've heard with the utopia with, but definitely better performance compared to the HD800. I own both the HD800 and Utopia. No regrets getting the utopia. Fuller sound, better separation and resolution and a much more natural sound. However it has a smaller soundstage compared to the HD800 but not too far off. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,417 of 20,584
Just received the Utopia yesterday. 
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif
  Everything just sounds right. I also have the HD800S and no regrets here.   I've been using the Burson 160D which I think is still an excellent Amp Dac.  I have a couple other SS amps to try over the w/e and I hope to soon try the Micro ZOTL which is made locally here.   

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,418 of 20,584
  Just received the Utopia yesterday. 
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif
  Everything just sounds right. I also have the HD800S and no regrets here.   I've been using the Burson 160D which I think is still an excellent Amp Dac.  I have a couple other SS amps to try over the w/e and I hope to soon try the Micro ZOTL which is made locally here.   

Comparison with HD800S? It's worth upgrade considering the big price gap?

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #1,419 of 20,584

Will have to get to that this w/e.  Was late for work w/ a smile on my face today.  There's only one other thing I can think of that could do that :)

I think there is a mini meet at Urban Hifi this w/e (where they make the Micro ZOTL)  May also check that out. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #1,423 of 20,584
Will have to get to that this w/e.  Was late for work w/ a smile on my face today.  There's only one other thing I can think of that could do that :)

I think there is a mini meet at Urban Hifi this w/e (where they make the Micro ZOTL)  May also check that out. 

I will not be bringing my Utopia, but another member will bring his Utopia.
I will be bringing HD800S.

Originally Posted by kaesar94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I put the HD800S on a shelf after getting the Utopia. So, um...yes the Utopia to my ears is better 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back