Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 6, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #14,357 of 20,796
After going through loads of aftermarket cables for the utopia,I think I've found one that actually really does sound better that the stock cable.The name of this cable is,Cardas clear. Equipment used:Chord Dave,innuos se,innuos phoenix.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #14,359 of 20,796
I've been enjoying my new Utopia's, they're great! Gosh though, I plugged in tonight for a little bit of listening before bed and the left headphone wasn't working. This is using the 4pin XLR cable the headphones came with. So I swapped the cord around and quickly found out it was the cable not the headphone (thank goodness). So I'm listening right now on the SE cable that's provided and no problems.

But - while I check on getting the stock 4 pin XLR cable repaired, I might snag a new cable. So..

I might just go with the corpse cable. I've searched the thread and there's only a few posts on the corpse cables. Sounds like people are happy with them.

I don't want to spend a lot of money right now, so I'm thinking either the corpse, or spend a few hundred more and get either the moon audio black dragon, or silver dragon. Any recommendations on moon cables from anyone? I did read this on the moon audio site.

We typically recommend the Black Dragon Premium for the Utopia Headphones. While the Utopia does not have sharp issues to the top frequencies, it is a little on the forward side. The Black Dragon provides the right balance to the sound with more musicality to the top end without rolling off the detail and definition. It also reinforces the wonderful vocal midrange of these headphones and provides more weight to the bottom end. However, the Silver Dragon is a good choice for more analytical listeners who like to pick out every detail of their audio. It will really open up the soundstage and energy of the Utopia.

It sounds like I'd enjoy the Silver Dragon more. It's one of my favorite things about the Utopia so far, it's resolution. It's fun hearing things so clearly!!

Thanks everyone!!
I have the Corpse Gravedigger cable for the Utopia and I think it's a good cable for the money. I like the Wywires Platinum better than the Corpse and it's on sale for 40% off. My latest cable purchase is the Double Helix Complement 4 and it's my current favorite but it's probably outside of your budget. I also have the Norne Silvergarde S3 cable but I like the Wywires and DHC better. If you go with a Moon Dragon cable for the Utopia, I recommend the Black Dragon. I've owned all 3 Dragon cables and I prefer the Black. I think the Silver Dragon would be too bright and while you might be initially impressed, I think in the long run you would find it fatiguing.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #14,360 of 20,796
I have the Corpse Gravedigger cable for the Utopia and I think it's a good cable for the money. I like the Wywires Platinum better than the Corpse and it's on sale for 40% off. My latest cable purchase is the Double Helix Complement 4 and it's my current favorite but it's probably outside of your budget. I also have the Norne Silvergarde S3 cable but I like the Wywires and DHC better. If you go with a Moon Dragon cable for the Utopia, I recommend the Black Dragon. I've owned all 3 Dragon cables and I prefer the Black. I think the Silver Dragon would be too bright and while you might be initially impressed, I think in the long run you would find it fatiguing.
I have DHC Comp4 cable for Utopia too.
Maybe I will upgrade to Prion 4 this Thanksgiving since reviewers and users gave its product rave reviews. It's expensive though....

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #14,361 of 20,796
It's expensive though....

Whoa... No kidding. I just configured one for fun and with the 10ft length, plugs and triple threat adaptors it came to 4.5k..!

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #14,362 of 20,796
Whoa... No kidding. I just configured one for fun and with the 10ft length, plugs and triple threat adaptors it came to 4.5k..!
Yikes lol!

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #14,364 of 20,796
Stand arrived today along with the Arche. Now need to steer clear of cables or I may be living In a tent 😂
D4DB41B3-22ED-47D4-B712-9800F5B8FEBB.jpeg

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #14,365 of 20,796
I hope I don't get too curious about the DHC cables.. Even their interconnects look tempting. For now, the Arctic Cables palladium remains my favourite cable with the Utopia and Susvara.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #14,366 of 20,796
I really like the DHC Complement 4 but I'm one that prefers copper for it's warmth. We all have choices, I would rather spend Prion like money on another tube amp to complement the amps that I already have. For $4.5K, I could get a very nice OTL amp for my Utopia and ZMF headphones that would offer an alternative to my SET tube amp.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #14,367 of 20,796
I hope I don't get too curious about the DHC cables.. Even their interconnects look tempting. For now, the Arctic Cables palladium remains my favourite cable with the Utopia and Susvara.
If I recall correctly you liked your moon audio black dragon a lot as well (with Utopia) right?

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #14,368 of 20,796
That Double Helix Prion 4 cable sure looks good! Now I have to convince myself to order it lol.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #14,369 of 20,796
Like many others I have tried a lot of different cables for whatever headphone I had at the time. Most memorable were the Cardas Clear and Kimber AXIOS both for my HD800S and the Danacable Lazuli Reference for the Empyrean. Those cables really gave me the ˋhold on, what’s thisˋ moment.
While I was waiting for the adapters to use the Danacable with the Utopia, I listened exclusively to the Utopia stock cable.
Knowing what a better cable can do, I had this negative bias that the Utopia stock cable surely must be useless...also considering that my first pair of Utopias were horribly sounding and never really opened up...they didn’t give me the ˋsmile on my face ´.
Of course I was wrong, this new pair is just wonderful and I really appreciate it with the stock cable.
Finally adapters arrived and honestly, I hardly detect any difference...it’s a different sort of tonal shade...slightly darker and therefore seems to have a meatier sound.
All I wanna say is that the stock cable is very good indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back