Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 17, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #14,116 of 20,635
I am using my brand new Focal Utopia with the Chord TT2 DAC and it sounds magnificent. Still waiting for my Lazuli Reference cable. I cannot imagine the combo could sound even better with a better cable, but everyone says that here, so I am up for giving it a try.
Over on the Chord TT2 thread there are many Utopia users who swear by the combo and are confident the TT2 output has plenty of power without the need for an additional headphone amp. That's my experience too. If you have not auditioned Chord DAC technology they use their own programming rather than a third party DAC chip, with some amazing results. It is worth taking the time to check out one of the Chord DAC models before committing elsewhere.
That said, Focal's own Arche DAC/Headphone Amp also seems to be well regarded. I have not heard it myself because I already own the TT2. If I were in your position it would be on my shortlist to try.

Good luck and keep us posted!

The Arche with the Utopia setting is amazing and is a friction of the price of the TT2. Saying that, nothing wrong with the latter either. But if money is an issue, an Utopia or Stellia owner cannot go wrong with the Arche.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #14,117 of 20,635
I am using my brand new Focal Utopia with the Chord TT2 DAC and it sounds magnificent. Still waiting for my Lazuli Reference cable. I cannot imagine the combo could sound even better with a better cable, but everyone says that here, so I am up for giving it a try.
Over on the Chord TT2 thread there are many Utopia users who swear by the combo and are confident the TT2 output has plenty of power without the need for an additional headphone amp. That's my experience too. If you have not auditioned Chord DAC technology they use their own programming rather than a third party DAC chip, with some amazing results. It is worth taking the time to check out one of the Chord DAC models before committing elsewhere.
That said, Focal's own Arche DAC/Headphone Amp also seems to be well regarded. I have not heard it myself because I already own the TT2. If I were in your position it would be on my shortlist to try.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I own everything you’ve mentioned (time to join audiophiles anonymous...). The Chord TT2/M-Scaler is a stellar combination with my Utopia and Stellia headphones with the Danacable Lazuli reference. I also have a separate headphone station using the Focal Arche. Both the Chord TT2 and Arche have plenty of power to drive the Utopia. The Focal Arche is a great choice at less than 1/4 the price of the TT2/M-Scaler combination and it has specific Focal headphone settings with a nifty headphone stand that can be attached. The Arche does have some issues with USB connectivity, it doesn’t come with a remote and the single dial that controls everything is clumsy to use IMHO. Once it is set up it’s not a problem but be aware of the shortcomings. I could not get my MacBook Pro running Audirvana connected to the Arche via USB, but it works flawlessly via toslink which is how I’m currently using it. I encourage anyone considering the Arche to read all the reviews and be aware of its eccentric behaviors. Here are pics of my two set ups.

402719CD-2C72-4C82-ABA0-5D825DD480DF.jpeg
940757AE-3C79-401C-8985-2DD1E334E47A.jpeg

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #14,118 of 20,635
...by some. Why would a 17% improvement in conductance cause a different sound? Sorry, this doesn't jive with my experiences whatsoever. Some might confuse the added detail retrieval with "brightness" but careful listening has shown this is not the issue based on my experiences.
I think that detail tends to create the illusion of brightness....

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #14,119 of 20,635
I’m still shocked I didn’t hear as big of a difference downgrading from Chord Dave/mscaler to the Focal Arche. Things like soundstage, richness, weight, and punch all similar. The Arche may be a hint warmer.

Both the Dave/mscaler and the Focal Arche improved with a better streamer. I use Stack Audio Link II. With the mscaler I needed a Poweradd battery to tame the RFI. With the Arche, adding a linear power supply brought those same benefits. You get better bass, soundstage, more natural voice, and no shrill highs.

The only real difference I hear now is on the initial attack. With Dave/mscaler you could really hear the pluck of the guitar string as if right there. Precision of the drums as well. But without the mscaler, precision is not as great.

So if you’re not looking for ultra realism, think can save money and be very happy with the Arche. Just invest a little bit in your source is all. If you want to spend more money, you won’t be disappointed with Dave alone or adding mscaler to the mix.

Just wanted to add about Arche issues. Only if I start playing roon without the unit on, stop, turn on unit and trying playing again do I get an issue where it skips all the songs. This is fixed but unplugging and plugging back the usb cable. If I push button to take out of standby mode and then start playing, never an issue.

Remote would be nice for volume change but usually listen to full albums so not big problem. I suppose I could use roon digital volume if really wanted to. And initial setup with the dial was pretty easy and never have to touch again.

Also, Arche was only $1500 brand new last year if you owned a Focal headphone already. Think still have deal when buying together but don’t have $1500 offer anymore but think can still find good buys online.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #14,120 of 20,635
Just wanted to add about Arche issues. Only if I start playing roon without the unit on, stop, turn on unit and trying playing again do I get an issue where it skips all the songs. This is fixed but unplugging and plugging back the usb cable. If I push button to take out of standby mode and then start playing, never an issue.

That is more a Roon issue, since I have the very same problem with Roon and my ifi iDSD...

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #14,121 of 20,635
That is more a Roon issue, since I have the very same problem with Roon and my ifi iDSD...

Are you using raspberry pi as endpoint? The Link II uses commercial version of RopieeeXL and not sure if that’s the issue or not. Issue might also come up the first time you set it up but can leave everything powered on and just unplug and plug back usb and it’s all fixed.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #14,122 of 20,635
Hey everyone, I have a Utopia that I purchased used from Head-Fi fairly recently. I love them. They sound great. But I am getting some of the crackling on the right driver at certain frequencies/volumes. At lower volumes the crackling is not apparent. It's pretty tough to know how much I paid for them and know that this is pretty common.

Before I go back to the person who sold them to me and ask for a refund, what are your thoughts on replacement drivers or sending them for service. Is it a reasonable cost? Or not? And I don't know that the person I purchased them from would refund me anyway or that they are still in warranty for that matter.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #14,123 of 20,635
Hey everyone, I have a Utopia that I purchased used from Head-Fi fairly recently. I love them. They sound great. But I am getting some of the crackling on the right driver at certain frequencies/volumes. At lower volumes the crackling is not apparent. It's pretty tough to know how much I paid for them and know that this is pretty common.

Before I go back to the person who sold them to me and ask for a refund, what are your thoughts on replacement drivers or sending them for service. Is it a reasonable cost? Or not? And I don't know that the person I purchased them from would refund me anyway or that they are still in warranty for that matter.

Can you ask the guy if he has the original receipt at least. Utopia’s have 5 year warranty and only if bought day they came out, would be expiring end of August this year. So most likely warranty still good for a while. Focal will honor warranty with original receipt.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #14,124 of 20,635
I’m still shocked I didn’t hear as big of a difference downgrading from Chord Dave/mscaler to the Focal Arche. Things like soundstage, richness, weight, and punch all similar. The Arche may be a hint warmer.

Both the Dave/mscaler and the Focal Arche improved with a better streamer. I use Stack Audio Link II. With the mscaler I needed a Poweradd battery to tame the RFI. With the Arche, adding a linear power supply brought those same benefits. You get better bass, soundstage, more natural voice, and no shrill highs.

The only real difference I hear now is on the initial attack. With Dave/mscaler you could really hear the pluck of the guitar string as if right there. Precision of the drums as well. But without the mscaler, precision is not as great.

So if you’re not looking for ultra realism, think can save money and be very happy with the Arche. Just invest a little bit in your source is all. If you want to spend more money, you won’t be disappointed with Dave alone or adding mscaler to the mix.

Remote would be nice for volume change but usually listen to full albums so not big problem. I suppose I could use roon digital volume if really wanted to. And initial setup with the dial was pretty easy and never have to touch again.

Also, Arche was only $1500 brand new last year if you owned a Focal headphone already. Think still have deal when buying together but don’t have $1500 offer anymore but think can still find good buys online.
The USB issues are frustrating when using the Arche. I can’t get it to recognize Audirvana in USB mode though it is a selectable DAC option within Audirvana. I tried Toslink and that works perfectly and also sounds fantastic; I believe it is as good as my TT2/M-Scaler combination Using Toslink. Like you, I don’t especially miss a remote but it is within easy reach at my listening station. At $1500 new it’s a steal IMHO. Glad you are happy!

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #14,125 of 20,635
Can you ask the guy if he has the original receipt at least. Utopia’s have 5 year warranty and only if bought day they came out, would be expiring end of August this year. So most likely warranty still good for a while. Focal will honor warranty with original receipt.
This is a good idea. I'm going to do that. I was thinking it was a two year warranty.

Is the driver crackle a sign of impending failure? Or has anyone else lived with this for some time?

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #14,126 of 20,635

HiFi+ review of the Stack Audio Link (first version) was stunning.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #14,127 of 20,635
Jumping into this thread quite late.
Im considering a pair of Utopia's. Im currently listening to a pair of Diana Phi's with Superconductor cable through a Burson Conductor 3XR, but the Utopia keeps drawing me in now. Maybe the disease has caught me seeing people buying and selling all the time!
I may consider selling the Phi set up if the Utopia suits me better, or keep both but just wonder if anyone in the UK, knows if discounts are available through Focal dealers, as its probably one of the only brands I cant source through my line of work.
Im really frustrated because last year I actually took my Phi's into a store out of town to test some DAC/Amp combinations and was recommended to try the Utopia's but never took much notice of them. I really wish I had now with everything shut and our own stores.

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 22.06.06.png

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #14,128 of 20,635
Jumping into this thread quite late.
Im considering a pair of Utopia's. Im currently listening to a pair of Diana Phi's with Superconductor cable through a Burson Conductor 3XR, but the Utopia keeps drawing me in now. Maybe the disease has caught me seeing people buying and selling all the time!
I may consider selling the Phi set up if the Utopia suits me better, but just wonder if anyone in the UK, knows if discounts are available through Focal dealers, as its probably one of the only brands I cant source through my line of work.
Im fortunate I have a couple of brand new sealed Diana V2 bundles with ifi xCan I need to sell to fund the Utopia's, but want to understand where I may get the best Utopia deal as I know the new version retails for around £3699 in the UK.
Im really frustrated because last year I actually took my Phi's into a store out of town to test some DAC/Amp combinations and was recommended to try the Utopia's but never took much notice of them. I really wish I had now with everything shut and our own stores.

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 22.06.06.png
That is quite a change, the signature of an Abyss and the Utopia are like fire and water. I do not know if you are familiar with Crinacle's measurements, it is very interesting. I am very sure the Utopia will have a long lasting appeal. Good luck with finding a good price (tough time for this in the UK).

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #14,129 of 20,635
That is quite a change, the signature of an Abyss and the Utopia are like fire and water. I do not know if you are familiar with Crinacle's measurements, it is very interesting. I am very sure the Utopia will have a long lasting appeal. Good luck with finding a good price (tough time for this in the UK).
Hey thanks.
What would be your initial thoughts between the 2 that I may find when swopping from one to the other? Im not into bass and metal etc, more relaxed Katie Melua, vocals with dark backgrounds, and a bit of Eagles, Fleetwood Mac etc...

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #14,130 of 20,635
This is a good idea. I'm going to do that. I was thinking it was a two year warranty.

Is the driver crackle a sign of impending failure? Or has anyone else lived with this for some time?
Once I heard the crackle sound watching the movie Spectral from Netflix, it died the right side the next day.
It was several years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back