Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #13,621 of 20,602
I suppose I could at least contact Danacable and see what the cost would be. I’d still have original cable to use while that’s getting changed out. But part of getting the Arche was to avoid upgrading. I guess this would be more of taking advantage out the outputs offered.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #13,622 of 20,602
Am thinking:
New 'version' - new cable type, and possibly less chance of driver failure.
Old 'version' - old cable type, possible more chance of driver failure.
No. They simply changed the Utopia packaging and accessories to bring it inline with the Stellia.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #13,623 of 20,602
Of course. I don’t know much about Danacables other than that they are supposed to be some of the best. It would probably be worth your while to do. I had my ALO cable changed to XLR when I got my first balanced amp and it was worth it.

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #13,624 of 20,602
I notice that the sound of my Utopia phones may be slightly louder on the right channel. Is this a known possible problem and if so how do I get it repaired? It’s only slightly louder on the right and I have 5 years to get it fixed. If this is a known possible problem how do I get it repaired. Thanks for your help.
Have you tried swapping the channels (right cup on left ear, and vice versa) or cables, to confirm it's not your ear or a cable problem? It could also be a poorly secured pad...

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #13,625 of 20,602
I'd never buy a heaphone amp for Hugo 2 or TT2. They both have plenty of current.

My TT2 is currently driving directly a pair of Dynaudio Special Forty, as well as doing headphone duty. (The Hugo 2 would do it if asked.)

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #13,626 of 20,602
It is so close to the same that I probably don’t have a problem with the phones. I am used to my LCD4 phones which could be a little sonically confusing but after giving a good listen my phone’s are fine. They are both very nice headphones.

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #13,627 of 20,602
I'd never buy a heaphone amp for Hugo 2 or TT2. They both have plenty of current.

My TT2 is currently driving directly a pair of Dynaudio Special Forty, as well as doing headphone duty. (The Hugo 2 would do it if asked.)

I've been using my Utopia with my Hugo 2 for the last ~2.5 years and it's been a great pairing, and doubles as a "transportable" setup for when I have enough time in the office and off the production floor to enjoy them.

I've only recently gotten the itch to either upgrade to TT2 or add a decent tube amp for the less than stellar recordings I enjoy. It's mostly just money burning a hole in my pocket as I save for a house though.

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #13,628 of 20,602
I've been using my Utopia with my Hugo 2 for the last ~2.5 years and it's been a great pairing, and doubles as a "transportable" setup for when I have enough time in the office and off the production floor to enjoy them.

I've only recently gotten the itch to either upgrade to TT2 or add a decent tube amp for the less than stellar recordings I enjoy. It's mostly just money burning a hole in my pocket as I save for a house though.

I would normally say buy the TT2 and don't even think about it. It would suit your requirements from what you said, perfectly; without even question.

However a problem has arisen with the TT2. People are having their TT2s not start up. They have to go back to Chord and the whole board is replaced. Luckily they come with a 3 or 5 year warranty. ... (There is discussion at the moment about whether the problem is caused by how people power them on. It may be that it is needed to connect the power plug to the TT2 before plugging the power brick into the mains. Non-one knows right now though, but problems have come after people moved the TT2. Hence plugged it back in.)

The issue is in full flow of conversation in the TT2 thread as of now.

Sonically though, the TT2 is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #13,629 of 20,602
I suppose I could at least contact Danacable and see what the cost would be. I’d still have original cable to use while that’s getting changed out. But part of getting the Arche was to avoid upgrading. I guess this would be more of taking advantage out the outputs offered.

Well Vinh replied right away. They can swap out with either Neutrik or Furutech (for additional cost). The manual for the Arche says to use XLR for best results. Don’t think I’ve ever tried a balanced setup before.

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #13,630 of 20,602
Yes, when I wrote (on the last page): Post #13,597 of 13,615

Am thinking:
New 'version' - new cable type, and possibly less chance of driver failure.
Old 'version' - old cable type, possible more chance of driver failure.

I was thinking Focal most likely have tweaked or updated their design as they went along. Not tweaked the sound signature - more tweaked anything else. ... It would be unlikely that they updated the bodywork of the Utopia. It only leaves the driver technology and manufacture for any refinement. ... Audio manufacturers for sure update stuff as they go along.

I was close to purchase and still am. However I had a wobble. I was looking at terms on conditions, and headphones are 'effectively' exempt from UK distance selling regulations. In the UK we are allowed to buy, try, and return without question, anything bought over distance. If we can't test it before we buy it, as it's bought over distance, that is. However some retailers treat headphones as items grouped along with hygiene sealed goods. Although I thought that only legally related to IEMs, but I would need to check.

It means technically at this point I would not be buying to try. Even though I am 99% sure the Utopia would be for me. That 1% chance that if I decided not though, and ... well I don't want to think it.

What worries me are the scare stories about the Utopia being on the bright side. It's strange though because all the pro-reviews put the Utopia as 100% neutral. I was only checking up reviews on this recently, and was persuaded the Utopia is neutral. However many folk who have the Utopia and Stellia, often claim to just about prefer the Stellia.

Of course it depends what folk are pairing with. I can't go wrong for that with Chord DACs, since they are as neutral as DACs come. I also wonder if some who find the Utopia bright, are actually just outfaced with detail. I know when I pair my Shure KSE1200 with both Hugo 2 and TT2, it can be dazzling. The balance is outright neutral though on both DACs and KSE1200. Plus neither of the DACs or KSE1200 could be fairly be called lean. ... In fact it's that effortless neutrality that makes my Chord DACS and KSE1200 so invaluable, and addictive. I would be happy to buy some more electrostatics at this point. However I prefer dynamic drivers for more ease of portability. (Although Stax do make a portable energiser. I presume that would work across any electrostat.)

It looks like I am going to have to take a 'leap of faith' with the Utopia. Buy and be done - no return. I know I could make use of the old 3m cable. Plus I hated the stiff new type cable for the Utopia, when I had it with the Stellia. It was abominable quality in terms of microphonics, on the pair of Stellia I had. I either had to hold the cable away from me at all times. Or I heard every breath of the cable on my clothing.
*sigh*

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #13,631 of 20,602
No leap of faith needed. It's one of the most popular TOTL headphones for a reason @GreenBow

If you find that the Utopia could do with a little roll off or taming of the treble peak, try a Moon Audio Black Dragon. Works well to my ears.

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #13,632 of 20,602
No leap of faith needed. It's one of the most popular TOTL headphones for a reason @GreenBow
It's among the best headphones in the world. And I say this having bought and sold virtually flagship.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #13,633 of 20,602
I asked the same question in the Heddphone thread. but in order to reach more people, I would also like to ask here:

has someone heard the Utopia in direct comparison to the HEDDphone?

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #13,635 of 20,602
@dontfeedphils I had to rethink your question.

One thing that I never experienced was the Hugo 2 ever making poor recordings sound bad. That was why I felt compelled to reply again.

However going to the TT2 from the Hugo 2 can sometimes sound like a thicker sounding experience. It can even sound less detailed sometimes. The TT2 is not less detailed of course. It has twice the taps of the Hugo 2, and is considerably more detailed. The TT2 pulls much deeper into music, and you can often hear the recording venue right there. Where the Hugo 2 could sometimes sound scarily good. The TT2 can sound and with no exaggeration, 'alien' real, until you adjust to it. Sometimes the TT2 can sound less detailed and thicker though, just because it's presenting much more of the sounds. (Plus it has more power on tap, to drive the music.) What the TT2 actually does though, is make music sounds just more real. When using the same Shure KSE 1200 between H2 and TT2, it can still take time to adjust. It's not that I don't understand the TT2 signature; it's just that is still takes me by surprise. With the same KSE 1200 it can still need time adjustment. Even to me even after having had TT2 for almost two years.

That perceived thickness is partly due to a much more suitable power supply in the TT2. It uses supercaps to store power. This power is there if the music makes fast demands, or deep note demands. It means the DAC can output the right voltage and current in each situation respectively. (E.g. hitting transients quicker.) It works with same principle that amplifiers do. They have banks of capacitors. Hence why the TT2 can drive difficult headphone loads, since it has good gain, and it can even drive speakers. (I make no mistake saying I am driving Dynaudio Special Forty with the TT2. Although in fairness they are speakers designed with a flat impedance curve. Smallish room.)

Anyway loosely back to Utopia territory. (Sorry everyone.) My Shure KSE 1200, can easily differentiate between Hugo 2 and TT2. For their £1700 price, they scale up beautifully. (That's their electrostatic nature though.) For reference, What HiFi said the KSE 1200 make the Stellia sound quote, a little slow, soft, and blurred. Shure KSE1200 review | What Hi-Fi? .. I guess then in some way, the (electrostatic) Shure KSE 1200 may be the IEM sibling of the (dynamic driver) Utopia. (Time will tell for me though.)

If you really want to step up for now, what with the TT2 it's hard to say do it. Although Chord will stand by the TT2, and are effecting putting new boards in affected TT2. However for the time-being, there is always the option of the Chord M-Scaler. ........ I'll say again though, the TT2 sonically is a no brainer, unless of course you want the DAVE.

If you find that the Utopia could do with a little roll off or taming of the treble peak, try a Moon Audio Black Dragon. Works well to my ears.

Yeah a long time ago, I saw the HiFi+ review of the Utopia + Moon Black Dragon V2 pairing. (Moon have moved on to the V3 now.) .... Yes, that is a cable I have in mind.

Thank you for you comment. (My terminology of 'Leap of Faith', was also reference to the Assassin's Creed games.)

@elisiX Thank you too.

Thanks for all comments from everyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back