Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 2, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #11,688 of 20,602
I've been away awhile but I'm back, like that one shoe you lost last year and found behind the bowling ball in the back of the closet. Maybe that's a bad analogy. Anyway, I just bought the Utopias (used, because I don't pay retail for toys if I don't have to) and thought I'd share my impressions of reality vs. what I've read and how they stack up against my other headphones. It's been a rip roaring ride through my music library hitting some Country, then Rock, then Blues, then whatever the hell genre that song was, then some Metal (hell yeah!) and then on to some Classical (I'm capitalizing for no real reason) and then that one Opera song I have on there because when I saw a video of that song the female singer was so incredibly luscious and ... I digress.

I'll start with my impressions of reality vs. what people have said.

1. Heavy? Nah. Audeze are heavy, these have heft, but they are definitely not neck breakers. Maybe I'll come back after wearing them all day and confess differently, but for now, they don't feel like a "tank" like one reviewer claimed. Baloney. BTW, Audeze LCD headphones are like wearing two car tires on each side of your head. If you walk with them and lean too far left or right you will end up succumbing to gravity, but your head will be OK because those giant ear pads will protect it from the cold hard tile you just crashed in to.

2. Bright? I think not so much bright as really detailed in the treble. I can see how that would be considered bright, but I think it's a misnomer. They certainly are not "brighter" than say Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd gens, which I have always thought were on the bright side. They are edgier than Dan Clark Ether Flows in the treble, and that's not a criticism. The Ether Flows come off too polite in my opinion.

3. Bass light? I'm not wading into that one too far because it's relative to what you want or expect. If you're listening to EDM, maybe go elsewhere. Everything else? I don't feel anything missing. It's there when it's supposed to be there. I suspect those who call them bass light are the same people who pull up beside me at a stoplight and rattle my car with 118db of 30hz sound waves that shake my fillings and make waves in my cup of Diet Coke that I just bought from the Habit.

4. Detail monsters? I'm not even sure what that means. I don't actually hear stuff I never heard before, as in not hearing it at all with other headphones (maybe after I get more used to them I will) but what I do hear is this amazing texture to the sound. When a bow is drawn across a cello string you feel like it's happening for real in the room with you, and I think that's the point of all these, to make it more real. The sound is really three dimensional. I will say that some things that were quiet on other headphones come through with greater clarity on these—like snare drums, when those snap on these, they really SNAP.

5. I didn't get the big garden hose cable with mine. I got this short thing with a 3.5mm adapter. Not sure if Focal made it. Someone here who knows what they are said it made the headphones sound dull. Maybe that's true, but if it is, I can only imagine what vistas I'll view with a better cable, if indeed that will really matter. I'm not yet convinced one way or the other. I keep thinking that copper is copper and silver is silver and how the hell can one strand of copper be brighter than another strand. Maybe I'll buy some Tarot cards too.

I run it through a Chord Mojo, and yes, it sounds freaking fantastic. And yes, some day I'll get a bigger and better amp. But in the meantime, I don't feel deprived as it sounds miles better than anything else I've ever heard already through the Mojo. I'm thinking maybe a Hugo in the future. I'm in no hurry, I'm lost in love with these already and if they get any better my wife won't ever get me out of the den again.

I've compared these to my other headphones: Ether Flows, Beyerdynamic T5p.2, and Ultrasone Signature pros. All three of which are really great headphones. They don't match the Utopias and of course we wouldn't expect them to, no?

Ether Flows are polite (I repeat) and smooth and never get you riled up, they are the kind of headphones you can fall asleep with. The Utopias take you out back and toss you around a little bit with brass knuckles and the occasional threat. The Ethers are comfortable like well worn jacket, the one you wear even though it's got a couple of rips now and you keep having to rescue it from the trash bin where your wife/husband/partner tried to put it more than once—because it's just so perfect fitting.

Beyerdynamic T5p.2 are more like the Utopias in that they dig in and move around and get things hopping, but without the same level of realism you get with the Utopias. They are super light and easy to drive and always sound pretty good. They'll never be a Bentley or a Maserati, but they'll often give you a thrill like an older 911 Porsche, except they won't lose the back end one day and toss you into a big mossy oak.

The Ultrasone Signature Pros are more for people who do like extra bass. These have it more than my other headphones. I find them doing everything correctly, pretty much, but never really grabbing me in any special way. They are, however, superbly convenient, easy to drive, and have some of the nicest ear pads you could ever want. For on-the-go headphones they are pretty much perfect. Definitely good sound, particularly for a mobile headphone, that fold up small, fit anywhere, and don't draw attention. The Utopias on the other hand, if they suspect you intend to use them outdoors, will grab onto the headphone stand and not let go. You know you aren't supposed to take them out because it would be like taking your Rolex watch with you when you go out mudding. Don't do it. Someone will nick them and then flip you off just out of reach like the scooter thieves in Full Metal Jacket.

I'm getting the Stellia next and selling everything else. Those I will take out with me. I don't mind being a spectacle. Maybe I'll paint them black first. Can I do that? Has anyone tried? Surely you've thought about it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #11,691 of 20,602
I've been away awhile but I'm back, like that one shoe you lost last year and found behind the bowling ball in the back of the closet. Maybe that's a bad analogy. Anyway, I just bought the Utopias (used, because I don't pay retail for toys if I don't have to) and thought I'd share my impressions of reality vs. what I've read and how they stack up against my other headphones. It's been a rip roaring ride through my music library hitting some Country, then Rock, then Blues, then whatever the hell genre that song was, then some Metal (hell yeah!) and then on to some Classical (I'm capitalizing for no real reason) and then that one Opera song I have on there because when I saw a video of that song the female singer was so incredibly luscious and ... I digress.

1. Heavy? Nah. Audeze are heavy, these have heft, but they are definitely not neck breakers. Maybe I'll come back after wearing them all day and confess differently, but for now, they don't feel like a "tank" like one reviewer claimed. Baloney. BTW, Audeze LCD headphones are like wearing two car tires on each side of your head. If you walk with them and lean too far left or right you will end up succumbing to gravity, but your head will be OK because those giant ear pads will protect it from the cold hard tile you just crashed in to.

2. Bright? I think not so much bright as really detailed in the treble. I can see how that would be considered bright, but I think it's a misnomer. They certainly are not "brighter" than say Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd gens, which I have always thought were on the bright side. They are edgier than Dan Clark Ether Flows in the treble, and that's not a criticism. The Ether Flows come off too polite in my opinion.

3. Bass light? I'm not wading into that one too far because it's relative to what you want or expect. If you're listening to EDM, maybe go elsewhere. Everything else? I don't feel anything missing. It's there when it's supposed to be there. I suspect those who call them bass light are the same people who pull up beside me at a stoplight and rattle my car with 118db of 30hz sound waves that shake my fillings and make waves in my cup of Diet Coke that I just bought from the Habit.

4. Detail monsters? I'm not even sure what that means. I don't actually hear stuff I never heard before, as in not hearing it at all with other headphones (maybe after I get more used to them I will) but what I do hear is this amazing texture to the sound. When a bow is drawn across a cello string you feel like it's happening for real in the room with you, and I think that's the point of all these, to make it more real. The sound is really three dimensional. I will say that some things that were quiet on other headphones come through with greater clarity on these—like snare drums, when those snap on these, they really SNAP.

5. I didn't get the big garden hose cable with mine. I got this short thing with a 3.5mm adapter. Not sure if Focal made it. Someone here who knows what they are said it made the headphones sound dull. Maybe that's true, but if it is, I can only imagine what vistas I'll view with a better cable, if indeed that will really matter. I'm not yet convinced one way or the other. I keep thinking that copper is copper and silver is silver and how the hell can one strand of copper be brighter than another strand. Maybe I'll buy some Tarot cards too.

I run it through a Chord Mojo, and yes, it sounds freaking fantastic. And yes, some day I'll get a bigger and better amp. But in the meantime, I don't feel deprived as it sounds miles better than anything else I've ever heard already through the Mojo. I'm thinking maybe a Hugo in the future. I'm in no hurry, I'm lost in love with these already and if they get any better my wife won't ever get me out of the den again.

I've compared these to my other headphones: Ether Flows, Beyerdynamic T5p.2, and Ultrasone Signature pros. All three of which are really great headphones. They don't match the Utopias and of course we wouldn't expect them to, no?

Ether Flows are polite (I repeat) and smooth and never get you riled up, they are the kind of headphones you can fall asleep with. The Utopias take you out back and toss you around a little bit with brass knuckles and the occasional threat. The Ethers are comfortable like well worn jacket, the one you wear even though it's got a couple of rips now and you keep having to rescue it from the trash bin where your wife/husband/partner tried to put it more than once—because it's just so perfect fitting.

Beyerdynamic T5p.2 are more like the Utopias in that they dig in and move around and get things hopping, but without the same level of realism you get with the Utopias. They are super light and easy to drive and always sound pretty good. They'll never be a Bentley or a Maserati, but they'll often give you a thrill like an older 911 Porsche, except they won't lose the back end one day and toss you into a big mossy oak.

The Ultrasone Signature Pros are more for people who do like extra bass. These have it more than my other headphones. I find them doing everything correctly, pretty much, but never really grabbing me in any special way. They are, however, superbly convenient, easy to drive, and have some of the nicest ear pads you could ever want. For on-the-go headphones they are pretty much perfect. Definitely good sound, particularly for a mobile headphone, that fold up small, fit anywhere, and don't draw attention. The Utopias on the other hand, if they suspect you intend to use them outdoors, will grab onto the headphone stand and not let go. You know you aren't supposed to take them out because it would be like taking your Rolex watch with you when you go out mudding. Don't do it. Someone will nick them and then flip you off just out of reach like the scooter thieves in Full Metal Jacket.

I'm getting the Stellia next and selling everything else. Those I will take out with me. I don't mind being a spectacle. Maybe I'll paint them black first. Can I do that? Has anyone tried? Surely you've thought about it.

That was a treat to read !

May 2, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #11,692 of 20,602

i wonder if you may end up disliking the stellia despite having rave impressions of the utopia

i for one, loved the stellia but found the utopia to be incredibly boring despite it's sheer speed and detail retrieval capabilities.

everything just blazed by so quickly i couldn't quite get a moment to enjoy hahaha

May 2, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #11,694 of 20,602

Nice write up!

And good call to exchange them with stellia. Tonality wise it's much closer to utopia rather than ULS Sig pro (a bit too muffled for me).

May 2, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #11,695 of 20,602
Nice write up!

And good call to exchange them with stellia. Tonality wise it's much closer to utopia rather than ULS Sig pro (a bit too muffled for me).
I maybe wrong but I don’t think he’s exchanging the Utopia for the Stella. I read it as he’s keeping the Utopia and getting rid of everything else to get the Stellia.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #11,697 of 20,602
i wonder if you may end up disliking the stellia despite having rave impressions of the utopia

i for one, loved the stellia but found the utopia to be incredibly boring despite it's sheer speed and detail retrieval capabilities.

everything just blazed by so quickly i couldn't quite get a moment to enjoy hahaha
the utopia is sooo much faster than the stellia

I need something that isolates out in public. I don't want people hearing what I'm listening to and judging me. There's this song in my playlist by Selena Gomez—I think someone put it there as a joke—it won't delete. What if that comes on while I'm around my lumberjack buddies and they hear it? I'd never live it down. (I don't have lumberjack buddies, but my friends have keen ears and a taste for verbal abuse and will pick up on the slightest weakness and run with it).

Since these two use the same driver (I'm assuming), what makes the U faster than the S? The cup construction?

All I have to go on is reviews. That's all I had to go on before buying the Utopia, but it worked out.

I was going to get the Elegia, but I'd still dream of the Stellia and in the end I'd weaken and buy the Stellia anyway. It's like when it's my birthday, I won't order the top sirloin if there's rib eye on the menu.

May 3, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #11,699 of 20,602
that wasn't meant to be taken literally

You sneaky so-and-so :). You put that out there pretty deadpan I must say. I'm guessing you were riffing on some reviews that seem to venture off into the weeds where unicorns and leprechauns live, wearing headphones, arguing about whether you can hear more of Wiz Khalifa's misogynistic angst on the Abyss Diana Phi or the Audeze LCD-4z and one of them is quite serious when he says the Abyss brings out the wheezy pot breath tone of Mr. Khalifah better than anything else he's ever heard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back