Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #11,251 of 20,644
So, here are my views on comparing the Utopia vs the Stellia … and they are pretty clear (I own the Utopia and I just got my Stellia). In short, the Utopia is the better headphone if 1. you mostly listen to classical music and 2. you have a powerful amp and DAC combo. In this case, the Utopia creates a “spatial surrounding” where you can locate each instrument in your head. It also makes each instrument vivid (e.g. with a violin, you feel the bow touching the strings). One has the feeling of space between each instrument. The Stellia simply cannot match this, the feeling of being able to listen between is there but only two a lesser degree, and the highlighting of instruments is weaker.

However, with non-classical music – I listened to metal and rock for this review – the differences turn into an advantage for the Stellia which has a less bright and more v-shaped signature. This matches better with rock/metal and also low-quality recordings – the sound is fuller in the bass region, obviously, and also less bright. The Utopia can be overly bright with electric guitars, no doubt about it.

Another advantage is with DAPs and less expensive amps – the Stellia performs BY FAR better with the Q2PR and also the ifi micro BL. Both of them can drive the Utopia, but it stays below its potential, and in the case of the Questyle it IS too bright. With the Stellia, they are a perfect and enjoyable match.

Throw in the need for a closed headphone, the Stellia is a clear winner. But yes, the Utopia WILL BE MISSED for classical music.

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #11,252 of 20,644
Utopia with a source that synergizes well with it and a nice upgraded cable takes away any brightness issues that I had when I first got the Utopia. My source isn't the most expensive or impressive per say compared to what a lot of other people here have but I'd say it synergizes pretty damn well and the Utopia being the microscope that it is, I could so very easily tell differences in sound when I made changes to my chain. For example, a while back when I added in a Singxer SU-1 USB audio bridge to feed my Master 11 via I2S HDMI. And just very recently when I put all my audio stuff on a double-conversion UPS system (got the UPS for my computer stuff... not really with the sole intention of using it for audio devices but I figured I might as well throw my audio stuff on there as well) and my god, what a difference that was as well. These days I feel like my Utopia has plenty of bass for my liking whereas I did not feel like that at all when I first purchased them.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #11,253 of 20,644
I have quite a few SACDs and is using two top of the line Sony players but they are almost ten years old; I am planning to add a DAC that has a HDMI input for my Sony player. The one I am looking at is Bryston BDA-3; is this a good match for the Utopia?

I have a Bryston BDA-3 matched with Aurender N100H and Audio-gd HE-9 for my Utopia.

Fantastic kit. I really like the Bryston sound (a bit on the warm side but with lots of details) and practicality with his 4 HDMI inputs. I sold my home theater for a pure stereo set up even with movies. I don’t regret it a millisecond.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #11,254 of 20,644
15K usd ? Yikes.

SmartSelect_20191214-130746_Chrome.jpg

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #11,255 of 20,644
I have a Bryston BDA-3 matched with Aurender N100H and Audio-gd HE-9 for my Utopia.

Fantastic kit. I really like the Bryston sound (a bit on the warm side but with lots of details) and practicality with his 4 HDMI inputs. I sold my home theater for a pure stereo set up even with movies. I don’t regret it a millisecond.
Thanks for your opinion. I am using Sony SCD-XA5400ES as source driving an Auralic Taurus mk2, I also have a few pairs of headphones (Utopia, HD800, Breyer T1and HD650). Utopia is my favorite now and HD800 second. My Sony player still sounds good but since it is a few years old already, I want to try a new DAC with higher resolution. I think BDA-3 is a good choice and I am searching for a used one.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #11,256 of 20,644
And just very recently when I put all my audio stuff on a double-conversion UPS system (got the UPS for my computer stuff... not really with the sole intention of using it for audio devices but I figured I might as well throw my audio stuff on there as well) and my god, what a difference that was as well.

OT. Which company/model double conversion UPS are you using for audio? Gathering info for when my aging (modified) Liebert GXT2 double conversion UPS gives up the ghost. TIA.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #11,257 of 20,644
Thanks for your opinion. I am using Sony SCD-XA5400ES as source driving an Auralic Taurus mk2, I also have a few pairs of headphones (Utopia, HD800, Breyer T1and HD650). Utopia is my favorite now and HD800 second. My Sony player still sounds good but since it is a few years old already, I want to try a new DAC with higher resolution. I think BDA-3 is a good choice and I am searching for a used one.

I had a Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player as well, but with the VSE Terra Firma Lite Balanced upgrade. Although truly reliable and efficient, it has now been replaced by a Luxman D-05u SACD player, which pairs extremely well with the Utopia's über resolution, fed by a Violectric HPA V281 amp, all in balanced mode. Through the Utopia, the Luxman's DAC seems to be able to retrieve a lot more foreground and background detail from SACDs, without the HDMI connection's jitter of a two-box system.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #11,259 of 20,644
From my experience elears now go cheap.
Due to discounted prices in recent times (such as the headphones offer that you mention) of elear and clear and the massdrop elex. And the fact they are 4 or so years old now

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #11,261 of 20,644
Hi All,

Does anyone in here has any experience with Studio Six vs Auris Audio Nirvana tube amps?
I currently use Utopia with ALO Studio Six.

Looking for any impression.

Try to look for any dealer in Northern Cali for a demo.

Very beautiful setup. Still can’t beat a fully driven 007 though.:kissing:

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #11,262 of 20,644
From my experience elears now go cheap.
Due to discounted prices in recent times (such as the headphones offer that you mention) of elear and clear and the massdrop elex. And the fact they are 4 or so years old now

I guess what I'm saying though is, if you could turn around and sell the Elear (without the travel case or pads) for $400 (which I've seen some go for on Ebay), then you would get the pads and case for the Utopia for $200. The pads alone go for $250, right? I've rarely seen the pads/case discounted and as a former Dekoni leather pads owner (for Focal Clear) there is a huge gap in quality between those and the stock Utopia Pads.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #11,263 of 20,644
OT. Which company/model double conversion UPS are you using for audio? Gathering info for when my aging (modified) Liebert GXT2 double conversion UPS gives up the ghost. TIA.

Cyberpower OL1500RTXL2U. Only got it because I managed to snag it off Amazon.ca for a steal (almost like the price was mistakenly listed or something :p) otherwise my god, double-conversion UPS's are really expensive. And it's not like its advertised as being a "audiophile" UPS or anything like that... those are probably even more pricey.

I tried my audio equipment on a line-interactive UPS as well and thought it sounded horrible in comparison to an online/double-conversion UPS... so there's that...

Dec 23, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #11,264 of 20,644
Hi All,

Fxxx me.
My Right driver has no sound today.
I just used it last night, no problem.
Will be my 4th dead one? I think.
Will contact my dealer tomorrow morning.

What a fxxkxxg Christmas gift to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't believe it.

Tested Aeon Closed right now. No problem.

Dec 23, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #11,265 of 20,644
Wot m8?

4th dead Utopia you are saying? What kinda luck is that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back