Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 1, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #10,876 of 20,602
I’d agree with that. There is however an uncanny compatibility with the Utopia and nearly every upstream devices. For me, it just starts at higher level of dynamic performance. The use of better upstream gear seems to make the Utopia want to do more for you. Out of all the headphones that have spent time on my skull, this is the only headphone that make me feel that way. Sorry I know this is more emotional than scientific

No need for apologies.

Seems like we definitely agree with the end result but I'm using different terminology from a slightly different perspective is all. :)

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #10,877 of 20,602
I was listening to some music through my Utopia and all of a sudden there is this extremely loud and sudden thunder crack sound from my right driver. Gave me massive shock.

Following that, music still played through the headphones.

What in the hell just happened???

Woo Audio 22 amp.
WE421A power tubes
Tung Sol 6sn7 gtb drivers
RCA 5u4g smooth black plate (just received this and trying it out for the first time)

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #10,878 of 20,602
I haven't...but I would love to! I don't think silver sounds like anything really, it's a better conductor than copper by 7%, but sonically hard to say. I haven't met a headphone that wasn't improved with a Danacable!

A well designed silver cable, in my mind, sounds a bit warmer than copper. The Danacable has lots of fans on this thread.

I’ve been using the Norne Audio Draug Silver with mine to good effect.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #10,879 of 20,602
I was listening to some music through my Utopia and all of a sudden there is this extremely loud and sudden thunder crack sound from my right driver. Gave me massive shock.

Following that, music still played through the headphones.

What in the hell just happened???

Woo Audio 22 amp.
WE421A power tubes
Tung Sol 6sn7 gtb drivers
RCA 5u4g smooth black plate (just received this and trying it out for the first time)

Sounds like a tube went off.

I would first try your Utopias on another amp...even your mobile phone to make sure the headphones are ok. If they are, then switch your tubes from left to right and see if the right driver (on a much cheaper pair of headphones and NOT your Utopia) has this same crack. If so then you have a tube issue.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #10,880 of 20,602
A well designed silver cable, in my mind, sounds a bit warmer than copper. The Danacable has lots of fans on this thread.

I’ve been using the Norne Audio Draug Silver with mine to good effect.

I think it depends...many wrongfully state that silver is brighter, which doesn't make sense to me.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #10,881 of 20,602
Sounds like a tube went off.

I would first try your Utopias on another amp...even your mobile phone to make sure the headphones are ok. If they are, then switch your tubes from left to right and see if the right driver (on a much cheaper pair of headphones and NOT your Utopia) has this same crack. If so then you have a tube issue.

It was a sudden loud crack sound and music went on as per normal.
Music is still playing now too.
If it was a tube, would/could it still be sounding normal after the incident?

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #10,882 of 20,602
It was a sudden loud crack sound and music went on as per normal.
Music is still playing now too.
If it was a tube, would/could it still be sounding normal after the incident?

It could be a tube or maybe power surge? Hard to say? If it seems gone, I'd use the amp with a cheap set of headphones to see if it comes back. FWIW, this is one reason why for the past several years I've been a solid state guy after 20+ years of owning tube amps. Just makes things a lot easier.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #10,883 of 20,602
It could be a tube or maybe power surge? Hard to say? If it seems gone, I'd use the amp with a cheap set of headphones to see if it comes back. FWIW, this is one reason why for the past several years I've been a solid state guy after 20+ years of owning tube amps. Just makes things a lot easier.

I have no clue.. Tubes look like they're glowing fine. Music still playing OK now. Headphones seem OK. The amp is connected to a surge protector. My only other headphone now is the empyrean..

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #10,884 of 20,602
Got the Utopias today. Vaguely incoherent early impressions follow.

First thoughts are that whoever decided it was a good idea to use a garden hose for a headphone cable should be fired.

The comfort level is good. Same as all the other Focals. The pads are very nice, but the headphones are a tad heavier. No real complaints here (though I expect I'll have a few choice words to say when it comes time to buy replacement earpads).

Sound-wise, I don't want to get too into detail since I only had a few hours with these, but they sound surprisingly... normal. I say "surprisingly" because the Clears have a somewhat metallic tone to the mids and highs that makes them sound a bit artificial, and I was expecting these to be more of the same, or even worse. But they're actually a bit more natural sounding.

The bass is all there but it's a bit light. The mids are present, full, and very clear. Midrange tone is close to correct, but there's a bit of a bump around 1khz. Stax headphones spring to mind as they often have a similar coloration, but it's less severe in the Utopia.

The lower treble seems overly sharp. However I wouldn't call these headphones sibilant - they seem to emphasize the "th" and "sh" sounds, rather than "s" or "ch" sounds. The upper treble is extended and smooth, but not overblown. These actually sound less airy than the Clear, or Stax headphones (which, to be fair, are overly airy most of the time).

The overall sound seems to be slightly lighter and sharper than neutral but also not that far from it. Of course, these are just day 1 impressions talking.

The midrange resolution is simply stellar, world-class and easily on par with electrostatics. I'm not sure if the bass and treble resolution is as good, but it's still excellent. The imaging is also top notch, and after languishing in mid-fi land, imaging-wise, it's nice to finally have a headphone that images properly again. Soundstage size isn't very large, but does seem to change size depending on the recording. Dynamics are good, as they are in all Focals.

Yeah, these can stay. I think I will need a different amp for them - maybe tubes, or zero-feedback solid state. Right now I'm using a simple Gilmore Lite Mk2, which sounds decent with these, but is a tad dry. I don't think these necessarily need more warmth, but they do need some more lushness, right now they're a bit analytical.

More impressions, comparisons, EQ settings, etc to come.

P.S. are these supposed to come with multiple sets of cables? I don't see a balanced cable in the box, but this was an open box store demo.
Yes, you want big tube amp for your Utopia.
No EQ please.
My tube amp is ALO Studio Six with Utopia. It is a superb sound.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #10,885 of 20,602
I think it depends...many wrongfully state that silver is brighter, which doesn't make sense to me.
Silver that is too thin will tend to sound bright. If it is about 21awg or larger then silver starts warming up.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #10,887 of 20,602
Will thinner core coppers sound bright too?
They just tend to sound less warm than a thicker sized copper wire. The size thing is capacitance. Larger wire tends to have lower capacitance and conduct more signal. Same size silver and copper wires just seem to sound different.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #10,888 of 20,602
They just tend to sound less warm than a thicker sized copper wire. The size thing is capacitance. Larger wire tends to have lower capacitance and conduct more signal. Same size silver and copper wires just seem to sound different.

But how does that have an effect on sound, or better still frequencies of 20 - 20,000 Hz? I think you're forgetting dielectric type, thickness, metal purity, etc...

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #10,889 of 20,602
But how does that have an effect on sound, or better still frequencies of 20 - 20,000 Hz? I think you're forgetting dielectric type, thickness, metal purity, etc...
A fixed capacitance presents a higher impedance to lower frequency signals. The impedance that the amp sees is the sum of the cable and headphone impedances. Impedance is a complex sum of resistance, capacitance, and inductance. Generally lower is better for all of those parameters when it comes to a cable.

I should add that I suspect other factors including the ones you cite probably have more of an effect on cable capacitance than the gauge of the conductors.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #10,890 of 20,602
A fixed capacitance presents a higher impedance to lower frequency signals. The impedance that the amp sees is the sum of the cable and headphone impedances. Impedance is a complex sum of resistance, capacitance, and inductance. Generally lower is better for all of those parameters when it comes to a cable.

I should add that I suspect other factors including the ones you cite probably have more of an effect on cable capacitance than the gauge of the conductors.

NVM...I think you missed my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back