Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 14, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #9,106 of 20,602
If focal told you that the Clear was the top of the line most ppl would believe it through marketing, how anyone can say Utopia is the best headphone out there is a complete joke,top front end with top dac and I'll go mid-range price point with headphones, overrated top of the line.Great idea Beryllium tweeter right next to your ear but with a surround so the tweeter can flex for bass which is pretty much non existent, I'm going to the factory in January next year, can't wait

I guess I'm confused then, why continue to follow and post in this thread if you're just going to continue to crap on the headphones?

Are you trying to get something out of this discussion?

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #9,107 of 20,602
I guess I'm confused then, why continue to follow and post in this thread if you're just going to continue to crap on the headphones?

Are you trying to get something out of this discussion?
It's an opinion ***.Listen before you buy don't believe the hype in head fi it's a joke, I've owned the product do you ? think I'm entitled to give my opinion, I paid my dues

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #9,108 of 20,602
I didn't think it was any different than the Utopia, I got the Clear after the Utopia, far better to my ears

Well, to my ears they are quite different, although the sound signature is very similar. The Clear has a thick midrange and rolled off treble that I don't like at all. The Utopia is nothing like that in the treble range, I tested them side by side using the same source. It is more open, more resolving, faster, and with larger soundstage. in short, much better all rounder for me as I can enjoy classical music with it when I feel the need, as well as pop, rock, jazz or any other musical genre. The Clear is definitely not suited for classical IMHO. Others may disagree, but this is my opinion.

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #9,109 of 20,602
I actually agree that the Clear has a better frequency response than the Utopia, at least to my tastes. However, there are some things that the Utopia does that the Clear simply cannot. The speed and microdynamics of the Utopia is off the charts. You can EQ a Utopia to match the Clear FR but you can't do anything to the Clear to match the Utopia's dynamics. It's why I own the Utopia and not the Clear.

But, there are also purists out there that will never EQ anything and just want to hear the gear as it is. For them, the stock FR of a headphone is more important. And, there's nothing wrong with that. We all have different hearing and different endgame goals.

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #9,110 of 20,602
Well, to my ears they are quite different, although the sound signature is very similar. The Clear has a thick midrange and rolled off treble that I don't like at all. The Utopia is nothing like that in the treble range, I tested them side by side using the same source. It is more open, more resolving, faster, and with larger soundstage. in short, much better all rounder for me as I can enjoy classical music with it when I feel the need, as well as pop, rock, jazz or any other musical genre. The Clear is definitely not suited for classical IMHO. Others may disagree, but this is my opinion.
Everyone hears different

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #9,111 of 20,602
Everyone hears different

Absolutely. And I would add to that remark - everyone feels different too, as I find the Utopia's leather pads to be extremely comfortable against my head/skin, whereas the Clear's pads and clamping force are killing me after an hour.

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #9,112 of 20,602
I actually agree that the Clear has a better frequency response than the Utopia, at least to my tastes. However, there are some things that the Utopia does that the Clear simply cannot. The speed and microdynamics of the Utopia is off the charts. You can EQ a Utopia to match the Clear FR but you can't do anything to the Clear to match the Utopia's dynamics. It's why I own the Utopia and not the Clear.

But, there are also purists out there that will never EQ anything and just want to hear the gear as it is. For them, the stock FR of a headphone is more important. And, there's nothing wrong with that. We all have different hearing and different endgame goals.
Speed and microdynamics musical though?

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #9,113 of 20,602
Microdynamics definitely add to a headphone being musical to me. Percussion instruments, especially, sound more rounded out and real, which adds to the enjoyment for me. Speed is a mixed bag sometimes. Sometimes I feel like the Utopia is faster than the monitors used in the mixing of some songs, which can sound like unnaturally fast decay in some acoustic instruments. BUT, that speed in modern pop, EDM, and HipHop sounds amazing. I love hearing the texture in each synth note in certain songs, especially in the bass tones. Nothing else I've heard is quite as good with modern electronic music, although I haven't heard the new HiFiMan or Abyss offerings.

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #9,114 of 20,602
It's an opinion ***.Listen before you buy don't believe the hype in head fi it's a joke, I've owned the product do you ? think I'm entitled to give my opinion, I paid my dues

Take it down a notch, friend. I almost always listen before I buy, just as I did with my pair of Utopia that I've had for a year now (did an in depth, week-long audition in home).

I never said you're not entitled to your opinion, that being said, you just seem a bit aggressive in your communication style and trying to get your point across.

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #9,115 of 20,602
Take it down a notch, friend. I almost always listen before I buy, just as I did with my pair of Utopia that I've had for a year now (did an in depth, week-long audition in home).

I never said you're not entitled to your opinion, that being said, you just seem a bit aggressive in your communication style and trying to get your point across.
I'm just different in my approach far from aggressive, just more direct maybe

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #9,116 of 20,602

Paul is a bit out of the ordinary in his opinions in how he says things but he isn’t a bad guy that you might think was here to muck things up.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 14, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #9,117 of 20,602

Yep, even then the Utopia's need very little eq'ing. Maybe a little sub bass then they sound just about right to my ears.

Nov 14, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #9,118 of 20,602
it depends on what you regard as "musical". it's a subjective term, like most of the descriptors that we use in this hobby. i have headphones that editorialise more than the utopia to my ears, and i enjoy them for their unique colorations. i certainly don't regard the utopia as any less musical because it doesn't editorialise as much - i consider that to be one of its strengths.
If focal told you that the Clear was the top of the line most ppl would believe it through marketing, how anyone can say Utopia is the best headphone out there is a complete joke,top front end with top dac and I'll go mid-range price point with headphones, overrated top of the line.Great idea Beryllium tweeter right next to your ear but with a surround so the tweeter can flex for bass which is pretty much non existent, I'm going to the factory in January next year, can't wait
while i don't buy into rating headphones and other audio gear as "the best", the utopia is the most complete headphone that i've encountered to date. when i say complete, i'm referring to more than its sound. the utopia has ample bass to my ears fwiw, but it obviously doesn't have enough for yours, which is fine. as you say, "we all hear differently".
i audition headphones that interest me. i auditioned the utopia three times prior to buying it. correct me if i'm mistaken, but i'm under the impression that you bought both the utopia and clear pro without trying them first. if that's so, then i don't think that you're in a position to be cautioning us about purchasing the utopia, particularly if we're happy with it.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #9,119 of 20,602
i audition headphones that interest me. i auditioned the utopia three times prior to buying it.
I also auditioned the Utopia 3 times (in home) before buying them. Didn't care for them the first 2 times (at all) but the 3rd time was a charm...such a charm that I've sold off, and am still selling off other headphones and amps I've owned and enjoyed very much. The Utopia is a very 'unique' headphone that scales exceptionally well with upstream gear and an aftermarket cable (much too my surprise.)

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #9,120 of 20,602
how anyone can say Utopia is the best headphone out there is a complete joke,top front end with top dac and I'll go mid-range price point with headphones, overrated top of the line.Great idea Beryllium tweeter right next to your ear but with a surround so the tweeter can flex for bass which is pretty much non existent

I must have a unicorn set because the bass is certainly not non-existent on my pair. Was listening with the Hugo2 the other night and it was sublime. The bass is certainly much more present on my Utopia than my ETHER C Flow (there goes the theory of closed cans always having more bass - ETHER Flow open has a much warmer tonality than the closed). I know you heard it differently, I just want to add another data point.

My favorite pairing is the Utopia with the DAVE, and again, bass is plenty for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back