Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 18, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #7,486 of 20,796
I traded in my Utopia. I'm going back to bassland.
Well, congrats -- sounds like your ears are gonna be very happy.

May I ask what amp you're going to drive the 4z with? Does the Mojo get the job done?

May 18, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #7,487 of 20,796
Well, congrats -- sounds like your ears are gonna be very happy.

May I ask what amp you're going to drive the 4z with? Does the Mojo get the job done?
I think the Mojo should get the job done. A cellphone can drive the 4z. It's 15ohm. I will eventually buy the Hugo 2, I've been procrastinating on that lately.

May 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #7,488 of 20,796
May 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #7,490 of 20,796
Looks like it should be slightly harder to drive than Utopia with Utopia at 104dB/1mW and the LCD-4Z at 98dB/1mW.
If it's anything like the MX4 than it should be easy, because I had that and the "Clear" at home at the same time and it would be twice as loud at half the volume. We'll see later when I pick up my pair from UPS.

May 18, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #7,491 of 20,796
I traded in my Utopia. I'm going back to bassland.
The Utopia's have bass and when called upon it delivers. But it's not as weighty or meaty as the Audeze bass. So if you're looking for a bass fix you picked a good headphone, congrats on the purchase.

May 18, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #7,492 of 20,796
The Utopia's have bass and when called upon it delivers. But it's not as weighty or meaty as the Audeze bass. So if you're looking for a bass fix you picked a good headphone, congrats on the purchase.
Thanks brotha. One of my main factors is I can play Audeze headphones louder and not have that bass crackle sound from over driving the driver in the Utopia. Sometimes I'm a little wild with my db's.

May 18, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #7,493 of 20,796
Looks like it should be slightly harder to drive than Utopia with Utopia at 104dB/1mW and the LCD-4Z at 98dB/1mW.

Actually, 4z should be slightly easier to drive. To get the same SPL, the 4z needs 4x the power. But given the difference in nominal impedance (15 Ohms vs 85), the same voltage will deliver 5.666 x as much power to the 4z. So pretty close, assuming we're operating in the range where the device's power/current/voltage relationships are (nearly) linear. I recognize that is an iffy assumption.

May 18, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #7,494 of 20,796
Thanks brotha. One of my main factors is I can play Audeze headphones louder and not have that bass crackle sound from over driving the driver in the Utopia. Sometimes I'm a little wild with my db's.
The driver distortion on the Utopia's is concerning. I've experienced it on a few occassions when I got excited and turned the volume up to loud. My LCD-4's on the other seem to love the extra power and never break a sweat with ear bleeding volume. But I do try to limit how long I subject my LCD-4's to extreme volume because unfortunately Audeze is known to have driver failures at times. It's just something to think about.

May 18, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #7,495 of 20,796
The driver distortion on the Utopia's is concerning. I've experienced it on a few occassions when I got excited and turned the volume up to loud. My LCD-4's on the other seem to love the extra power and never break a sweat with ear bleeding volume. But I do try to limit how long I subject my LCD-4's to extreme volume because unfortunately Audeze is known to have driver failures at times. It's just something to think about.
Thanks, dude, I'll keep that in mind.

May 18, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #7,496 of 20,796
I like these with instrumentals, and sound very resolving, but it's not a mid rich vocal headphone. It sounds a bit much at 6k for vocals with sibilance coming on a bit strong that overtakes the definition of vocals for some tracks. This is not my go to for vocals. I'd prefer to use the TH-X00 Ebony for vocals.

Cymbals and drums especially I hear it the most accurate I've ever heard. Based on what I hear, I don't know if the graphs really lines up with what I hear besides the 6k peak.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back