Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 31, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3,721 of 20,618
You really can't go wrong.

Well, if you got them new from TCC with the trial program, you would pay $200 + shipping to try them out, then pay $4000 $3800 to buy them.

If you got them used for $2800, tried them and didn't like them, then sold them for $2700 and paid $50 shipping, you would be out $150. If you kept them, you would save $1200. Of course you would not have a warranty.

as other have mentioned, it probable authorized dealers will give a discount, so maybe TCC will too.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,722 of 20,618
Well, if you got them new from TCC with the trial program, you would pay $200 + shipping to try them out, then pay $4000 to buy them.

If you got them used for $2800, tried them and didn't like them, then sold them for $2700 and paid $50 shipping, you would be out $150. If you kept them, you would save $1200. Of course you would not have a warranty.

as other have mentioned, it probable authorized dealers will give a discount, so maybe TCC will too.
No, as I mentioned, the 5% fee applies towards the headphone purchase (or any other purchase) and TCC also gives a discount on top of this. For me this was an excellent choice being I didn't care for the Utopia. If I would've purchased them without borrowing them and found this, I would've lost a lot more money than 5%+ shipping fees.

May 31, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #3,723 of 20,618
No, as I mentioned, the 5% fee applies towards the headphone purchase (or any other purchase) and TCC also gives a discount on top of this. For me this was an excellent choice being I didn't care for the Utopia. If I would've purchased them without borrowing them and found this, I would've lost a lot more money than 5%+ shipping fees.

If they are offering a competitive discount, then it really is a great deal.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #3,727 of 20,618
I get you... I am quite speechless myself whenever I listen to my utopia.
People who have the Stax SR009 and matching quality amp like BHSE say it is even better - on a whole new level.:rolling_eyes:

I do (Grounded Grid and not BH), and yes I can confirm that :). Saddest thing is that Stax needs you to sit at your station while Utopia, you can just plug into WM1Z and enjoy. Since having Stax, I don't feel like having Utopia stationary anymore. It is either Stationary with Stax, or portability with Utopia

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3,728 of 20,618
I get you... I am quite speechless myself whenever I listen to my utopia.
People who have the Stax SR009 and matching quality amp like BHSE say it is even better - on a whole new level.:rolling_eyes:

I do (Grounded Grid and not BH), and yes I can confirm that :). Saddest thing is that Stax needs you to sit at your station while Utopia, you can just plug into WM1Z and enjoy. Since having Stax, I don't feel like having Utopia stationary anymore. It is either Stationary with Stax, or portability with Utopia
After borrowing the Utopia for 16 days I couldn't agree more about the 009/BHSE being on a whole different level.

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3,731 of 20,618
Someone told me about a portable solution for Stax SR009... the Kingsound M-03 + Stax SR009... Not as good as BH but not bad, I was told.
It is mind boggling to even just imagine a whole different level above utopia... I will become a human vegetable with an IV, foley, and feeding tube, stay home all day and listen to music!

Nope! The BHSE, the Carbon, Grounded Grid, they are big and huge for a reason, because sizes do matter. Even though they are big, they heat up nicely, and that really mean something. Just saying

The reason why they are on another level is because of the differences in technology. I do believe Utopia is sitting on the summit of the Dynamic engineering and technology for Dynamic headphones, however. Because Utopia is a performer and very efficient

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3,732 of 20,618
Nope! The BHSE, the Carbon, Grounded Grid, they are big and huge for a reason, because sizes do matter. Even though they are big, they heat up nicely, and that really mean something. Just saying

The reason why they are on another level is because of the differences in technology. I do believe Utopia is sitting on the summit of the Dynamic engineering and technology for Dynamic headphones, however. Because Utopia is a performer and very efficient

I completely agree. Even the Koss ESP/950 does some music (classical orchestra, IMHO) better than the Utopia. There is an openness to estats that dynamics just cannot replicate.

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #3,734 of 20,618
Someone told me about a portable solution for Stax SR009... the Kingsound M-03 + Stax SR009... Not as good as BH but not bad, I was told.

If I was going to go portable with Stax, I'd get the Stax portable amp over the Kingsound. Kevin Gilmore has published the schematics of the Kingsound M10 and M20 and honestly, Stax was designing better circuits in the 1980s than either of them. I doubt that the M03 is a match for any Stax amp.

The SRM-252 is pretty portable although it needs a Wall-wart. There are also discontinued Stax portable amps that can use batteries, like the SRM-X Pro. Stax also sells the SRM-001 which is only compatible with the SR-001 in-ear phones, but the latter has been described as sounding like a mini-009. No personal experience though.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #3,735 of 20,618
But the BASS is so much better on the utopia,maybe theirs a middle ground here somewhere.

No, anyone who said such thing has never heard of Stax+Kevin Gilmore Amps. I would respectfully request people to stop spreading "this Myth" until they have heard or audition a Stax setup with Kevin Gilmore designs, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back