Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 16, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #2,642 of 20,736
Why?

Everyone's point of reference is different, regardless of where you come into this hobby from.

There is never any right or wrong answer, only opinion, not to mention differences in upstream equipment making a large difference.

No, I most definitely wouldn't LMAO if someone said they sounded unnatural to them.

I just wonder what's natural sounding to them
rolleyes.gif

They have their opinion, I have mine.

and that was duncan's point, which makes the addition of the eye rolling emoticon kinda pointless when you think about it. it's hardly mind blowing that someone doesn't perceive the utopia's sound signature in the same way you do.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,643 of 20,736
Just get an HD650. Elear is overkill if you only listen to music 20% of the time, and given how well the 650 scales it'll probably suit you well if you eventually listen to music more often.

Would the Amiron still an overkill for you ?

Get a deal on some used HD800's. By far the top headphone (soundstage king) for gaming.

That something I didn't think about. And this is in fact a very good idea.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,644 of 20,736
That something I didn't think about. And this is in fact a very good idea.

i'm looking to sell my HD700. close enough, and cheaper.
PM me if you're interested..

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,645 of 20,736

I've got a highly-modded MicroZolt 2. 

It's probably best not to let other people's opinions color mine before even hearing the Utopia, but then again if I wasn't willing to do that, I wouldn't have ordered them in the first place. 

I also have a highly-modded MZ2 (from Ben, naturally) and I can tell you absolutely that my Utopias sound magnificent on it. I wouldn't worry about it....you'll love it.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,646 of 20,736
and that was duncan's point, which makes the addition of the eye rolling emoticon kinda pointless when you think about it. it's hardly mind blowing that someone doesn't perceive the utopia's sound signature in the same way you do.

It really seems like you have some personal vendetta against me, shame. If you go to your preferences there's a great little ignore feature. Used it myself a few times.

Is shocking a better word for you? How about that I find it odd? I'm aware people have opinions. Doesn't mean I can't say people finding the utopias unnatural sounding strays far away from my own impression.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,647 of 20,736
this isn't personal from my perspective anyways

the point being made here is that you shouldn't be shocked or find it odd that someone perceives the sound of a can differently to you because it's an entirely subjective experience. of course you can express that someone's perception doesn't align with your own, which folks often do.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #2,648 of 20,736

Glad that you are enjoying your new Utopia HPs.

I find that with many things audio, that the burning-in is a bit like the maturing of a fine wine (and this includes the Focal Utopia).

A really good red wine often tastes pretty good shortly after first bottling, even if a bit puckering in the mouth, particularly after more than a small glass or so. At first, it is fresh and full of fruit that overpowers the tannins and other micro elements in it that have to bind together over time and form both sediment and also the nuances of taste producing great wine. Then while this binding process occurs the wine closes up for a few years becoming hard and not that satisfying, until it matures and becomes truly great and drinkable.

Thankfully for electronics, including the Utopia, this period is just a matter of a couple of weeks of continual burn-in, not decades, until all the electronics components/parts/electronic structures reach their synchronic musical harmonies!

What a beautiful and poetic comparison of burn in.

As a red wine lover, I love this comparison!!!

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #2,649 of 20,736
  My Utopias are on their way to me. I can't wait. At the same time, someone whose audio opinion I really trust said he thought they were pretty forward and unnatural sounding. 

This has me kind of worried (especially because his setup is similar to mine)...Anybody else feel like that? 

Pretty forward? For the first 200 hours or so in a neutral to bright set up, I would say yes.

Unnatural? In any state, never! It's quite the opposite.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #2,651 of 20,736
this isn't personal from my perspective anyways

the point being made here is that you shouldn't be shocked or find it odd that someone perceives the sound of a can differently to you because it's an entirely subjective experience. of course you can express that someone's perception doesn't align with your own, which folks often do.

To be honest, I'm shocked that somebody can found the Utopia unnatural.

There is alot of subjectivity in this hobby but I think everybody at some point in their life had the chance to hear life musical performance. How a guitar sounded, a saxophone, violin, piano, etc.

Voices, probably the most commun sound we can hear everyday too is a good point of comparison with recording and real life.

I didn't listened to all TOTL headphones but certainly a few, and the Utopias are certainly the one that stands out as the most realist, natural and clear reproducer of the sounds I had the chance to hear in real life.

But who knows? I also do think that cable make a difference and I never succeed to get a consensus about that!
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,652 of 20,736

There is alot of subjectivity in this hobby but I think everybody at some point in their life had the chance to hear life musical performance. How a guitar sounded, a saxophone, violin, piano, etc.

Voices, probably the most commun sound we can hear everyday too is a good point of comparison with recording and real life.

I didn't listened to all TOTL headphones but certainly a few, and the Utopias are certainly the one that stands out as the most realist, natural and clear reproducer of the sounds I had the chance to hear in real life.

But who knows? I also do think that cable make a difference and I never succeed to get a consensus about that!
biggrin.gif

Personally I find the Utopias are among the most naturally accurate headphones I've heard.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,653 of 20,736
The Utopia sounds to me a bit like a gigantic multi-BA IEM. Super detailed, super precise, super fast, but lacking a bit in size and grandeur. It tickles; but doesn't bite.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2,654 of 20,736

But who knows? I also do think that cable make a difference and I never succeed to get a consensus about that!:D  

well i'm not because we are dealing with folk's auditory perception and personal preferences, which are subjective. there are some folks who don't find the utopia's sound signature "natural" to their ears. you'll have a hard time convincing them that they should just because it sounds "natural" to you. :wink:

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #2,655 of 20,736
  The Utopia sounds to me a bit like a gigantic multi-BA IEM. Super detailed, super precise, super fast, but lacking a bit in size and grandeur. It tickles; but doesn't bite.

Get that upstream part right and the Utopias can be a revelation. With my (now sold) Hugo TT they sounded pretty good...but now with the Kitsune Level 3 Spring DAC (currently I'm reviewing the amazing R2R NOS DAC) + GS-X Mk2, they are quite a bit more holographic and expansive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back