Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 6, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #20,011 of 20,796
I'm not at a point where I'm ready try out another DAC, yet. I may eventually. For now I'm content with swapping cables not only for different genres but also for different songs in my playlists. The more I listened to the Cardas cable, the more I find tracks even with vocals that sound better with it than with the stock cable even if they include vocals. I had mentioned Dotschy Reinhardt Chaplin's Secret, already. Utterly unenjoyable with the stock cable as hear voice becomes too dominant and the instruments move to the background. Santana IV includes tracks with vocals, but for this album the Cardas cable works much better. There is a song by Maria Mena on her Cause and Effect album "I was made for Loving You" - beautiful with the Clear Beyond. But the biggest surprise to me was Roads by Portishead on the Dummy album. The voice of the lead singer sounds amazing with the Cardas cable in a way that I had never heard so far and it's so well balanced with the instruments. It has become one of my favorite tracks now.

Your feedback is very much appreciated. It may prevent me from going down the wrong rabbit hole.
We have been trying to tell you that you are not doing this right. Did you know your hifi could sound different day to day, between day and night, between sunny and rainy, depending on whether you had meal or not, depending on your physical state and state of mind, depending on how focused you are at listening and multiple other factors? All of these could have just as much or more impact on your perception of audio reproduction as a cable change.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #20,012 of 20,796
We have been trying to tell you that you are not doing this right. Did you know your hifi could sound different day to day, between day and night, between sunny and rainy, depending on whether you had meal or not, depending on your physical state and state of mind, depending on how focused you are at listening and multiple other factors? All of these could have just as much or more impact on your perception of audio reproduction as a cable change.
“We have been trying to tell you that you are not doing this right.”

Really? Where are your manners? Who appointed you arbiter of right and wrong? I’m pretty certain your use of “we” isn’t accurate, either.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #20,013 of 20,796
“We have been trying to tell you that you are not doing this right.”

Really? Where are your manners? Who appointed you arbiter of right and wrong? I’m pretty certain your use of “we” isn’t accurate, either.
To be fair, the original poster was asking for feedback, and even though chesebert could of worded his response differently, I don't think he was in any way trying to be offensive. I too also believe that a headphone cable should be one of the last things to change if you are looking for a different sound.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #20,014 of 20,796
To be fair, the original poster was asking for feedback, and even though chesebert could have worded his response differently, I don't think he was in any way trying to be offensive. I too also believe that a headphone cable should be one of the last things to change if you are looking for a different sound.
1. It’s not about beliefs. It’s about manners and self-importance.
2. The original post didn’t ask for feedback, it simply related an experience and stated an opinion.
3. It’s also not about someone trying to be offensive. I don’t believe he intended to offend, either.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #20,015 of 20,796
It’s not about beliefs. It’s about manners and self-importance.
While I agree with you on the subject on manners, I'm going to politely disagree with you on the belief part. This whole hobby is pretty subjective in my opinion, so therefore when we have discussions on this forum about different topics, we are actually discussing what we believe to be true which may or may not be true for others. The same goes when others asks for opinions or feedback, and in this case, I agree with chesbert in that I believe that cables should be one of the last pieces to be upgraded if solely from a sound perspective.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #20,016 of 20,796
While I agree with you on the subject on manners, I'm going to politely disagree with you on the belief part. This whole hobby is pretty subjective in my opinion, so therefore when we have discussions on this forum about different topics, we are actually discussing what we believe to be true which may or may not be true for others. The same goes when others asks for opinions or feedback, and in this case, I agree with chesbert in that I believe that cables should be one of the last pieces to be upgraded if solely from a sound perspective.
Sorry, I’ve not been clear. My concern is not about spending priorities, nor is it about sharing those priorities, it’s about the lack of manners used to deliver that opinion. Hence me saying it’s not about beliefs - we’re all free to think the way we want to - but about manners and self-importance.

If we look at “Terms of Service” and scroll down to “Posting Etiquette” we’ll see point 1. “Be Polite”.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #20,017 of 20,796
I listen to the tracks with the stock cable and the Cardas in the same state of mind. I’m starting to agree with whitedragem that George Cardas is a bit of a legend. I‘m so grateful that he and his team managed to make such great headphone cables.

Sometimes it’s good to break the rules and to follow one’s intuition. Pairing the Utopia 22 with a high-end headphone cable at the beginning of one’s hifi journey is taking a risk, no doubt. I’m glad I did. The V590 Mk2 PRO is a great match for the two, IMO.

The endgame may be in the next two years, depending on how work goes, trying to hear how the dCS Lina DAC and Clock fit with that trio.

BTW, the Clear Beyond headphone cable is also beautifully looking, I think.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #20,019 of 20,796
It was a calculated risk to go right away for the Cardas Clear Beyond. The Cardas family members who were featured in a video about Cardas Audio seemed very nice and I felt that they cannot be just full of it.
Cardas makes great cables. The initial point was not about whether Cardas makes good cables or whether Cardas cables are overpriced (they are generally not), it was about (1) correct allocation of priories, (2) emphasizing cables do not make or break a rig - it's the electronics and cans that will get to you the holy grail, (3) not pushing yourself to listen to music you don't normally listen to because of gear selection (you will know you made a wrong selection when that happens), (4) not overly embellish the effects of cables as correlation does not equal causation especially in audio reproduction and (5) perceived differences among cables is just that - difference; whether one cable is actually better than the other often requires months of assessment because so many things can affect your perception of audio.

Hope this help.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #20,020 of 20,796
If people keep making me feel bad about buying the Cardas cable, already, I might have to get the dCS DAC with the Clock sooner than I can afford it to satisfy some users‘ sense of hifi priorities, I think. Will need to spend the next couple of holidays at home listening to Portishead. Did I mention that their song Roads sounds amazing with the Clear Beyond and the V590 Mk2 PRO?

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #20,021 of 20,796
And so what?

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #20,023 of 20,796
Is it normal for this middle portion (the one with the little squares) to be a little loose? No issues with the connector itself but noticed that this middle section of the lemo connector feels a bit loose if I touch it. Like it sort of slides up and down a tiny bit and jostles a tiny bit when touched.

Also, in general, is the stock cable of good quality? I like using the XLR but it’s too long, and very stiff. Had the same issue with the Clear so I got a replacement from Hart. Only ask because I wonder if Focal used better components/materials for the Utopia, making it better than Hart’s cable as I ordered one for the Utopia as well.

I’m not in the camp of cables making a discernible difference in sound quality. Not trying to bring up cable debate, just want to make sure whichever cable I’m using is the one with the best overall build/source components. Do they use a better connector? I believe Hart uses pure copper, idk about Focal. I do know that Hart’s cable would be preferable length and more ergonomic. Also ordered it braided with a pretty cool color combo.

Attachments

• IMG_9062.jpeg
    IMG_9062.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #20,024 of 20,796
Is it normal for this middle portion (the one with the little squares) to be a little loose? No issues with the connector itself but noticed that this middle section of the lemo connector feels a bit loose if I touch it. Like it sort of slides up and down a tiny bit and jostles a tiny bit when touched.

Also, in general, is the stock cable of good quality? I like using the XLR but it’s too long, and very stiff. Had the same issue with the Clear so I got a replacement from Hart. Only ask because I wonder if Focal used better components/materials for the Utopia, making it better than Hart’s cable as I ordered one for the Utopia as well.

I’m not in the camp of cables making a discernible difference in sound quality. Not trying to bring up cable debate, just want to make sure whichever cable I’m using is the one with the best overall build/source components. Do they use a better connector? I believe Hart uses pure copper, idk about Focal. I do know that Hart’s cable would be preferable length and more ergonomic. Also ordered it braided with a pretty cool color combo.
Yep, the movement is normal, or at least it’s been that way on all of my Utopia cables. 👍

If ergonomics are important to you then the supplied cables can be tough to live with. Good luck with the Hart!

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #20,025 of 20,796
Yep, the movement is normal, or at least it’s been that way on all of my Utopia cables. 👍

If ergonomics are important to you then the supplied cables can be tough to live with. Good luck with the Hart!
Thanks for confirming that! Fan of that company in general, great customer service and it’s nice having customizable options that suit whatever one needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back