Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #19,396 of 20,736
You have to go pretty high up the planar ladder to find one that is faster or better at imaging than Utopia, and those few TOTL planars that do challenge Utopia for speed & imaging fall short in dynamic "punch" EVERY. TIME.
For me engagement is simply the best with this headphone and if you want a something to listen to music in the background than it may not be an optimal choice. but if you want to focus on music, Utopia is very hard to beat. Big trait for me of this liveliness is that I can listen to music on low volumes and catch all the goodness from tracks, while planars do need volume to sound best

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #19,397 of 20,736

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #19,399 of 20,736
For me engagement is simply the best with this headphone and if you want a something to listen to music in the background than it may not be an optimal choice. but if you want to focus on music, Utopia is very hard to beat. Big trait for me of this liveliness is that I can listen to music on low volumes and catch all the goodness from tracks, while planars do need volume to sound best
Yeah it demands attention. I've tried background listening a few times and its plain jarring, Utopia demands all of you, perception & mind.

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #19,400 of 20,736
How does the utopia compare to the LCD5? I heard is a better planar version of the Utopia. I'm just looking for my end game. lol
I've only heard lcd5 for a few minutes at CanJam, but my brief impression was that it is mid-focused like Utopia, but lacking the dynamic engagement of Utopia. Similarly resolving/detailed. I was personally more impressed by Susvara, TC (Diana or 1266), or Caldera. I didn't really have time to judge its spacial/imaging abilities, but I would not expect them to be materially better than Utopia in any way. (?)

LCD5 struck me as a headphone that does nothing wrong, but also nothing extraordinary. YMMV.

Fwiw, Caldera and Diana TC are on my wishlist/roadmap, but lcd5 is not.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #19,401 of 20,736
I've only heard lcd5 for a few minutes at CanJam, but my brief impression was that it is mid-focused like Utopia, but lacking the dynamic engagement of Utopia. Similarly resolving/detailed. I was personally more impressed by Susvara, TC (Diana or 1266), or Caldera. I didn't really have time to judge its spacial/imaging abilities, but I would not expect them to be materially better than Utopia in any way. (?)

LCD5 struck me as a headphone that does nothing wrong, but also nothing extraordinary. YMMV.

Fwiw, Caldera and Diana TC are on my wishlist/roadmap, but lcd5 is not.
Interesting, I might go for the Utopia as my true end game then. I like the Susvara, but I prefer something more intimate like the Utopia. Susvara is great, but nothing makes the music more engaging than the Utopia. Although, I heard Utopia's weakness is on the midrange timbre. not too sure.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #19,402 of 20,736
I heard Utopia's weakness is on the midrange timbre. not too sure.
I completely disagree, that's exactly one of his greatest strengths

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #19,403 of 20,736
Midrange and treble are top quality on Utopia, timbre definitely not the best in market, but still plays top tier. If someone really cares about timbre D9200 was the best I've heard, maybe it's the magic of dome tweeter/wooden cups but it was above HD650 with better technical capabilities. I haven't heard ZMF lineup which is highly praised for timbre, but out of good chunk of HP's that passed through my hands in these ears Utopia comfortably sits at 3-4th place easily beating them in other areas.

With Utopia if you want to shift your focus elsewhere then it can become irritating/bright for some, but it's a smooth headphone overall without any peaks which can be spotted in other flagship, Utopia simply needs your attention to reveal it's goodness

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #19,405 of 20,736
I heard Utopia's weakness is on the midrange timbre. not too sure.
A lot of people claim that Utopia's timbre is "metallic", but I personally don't hear it that way at all. YMMV.

I think it has a lot to do with the DAC+amp chain that you're listening on. Utopia is VERY revealing, every little thing affects what you hear.

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #19,406 of 20,736
i didn't know that listening to the utopia could be so demanding
If you're buying a $5,000 headphone to listen to music in the background you're doing it wrong. :wink:

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #19,407 of 20,736
A lot of people claim that Utopia's timbre is "metallic", but I personally don't hear it that way at all. YMMV.

I think it has a lot to do with the DAC+amp chain that you're listening on. Utopia is VERY revealing, every little thing affects what you hear.
Very interesting. Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if my Soloist+Composer 3XP stack would be enough for a utopia. Maybe I should get like a nice tube amp or something.

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #19,408 of 20,736
Very interesting. Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if my Soloist+Composer 3XP stack would be enough for a utopia. Maybe I should get like a nice tube amp or something.
I would expect Burson to be a good complement to Utopia, especially with the swappable op amps.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #19,409 of 20,736
I would expect Burson to be a good complement to Utopia, especially with the swappable op amps.
Interesting! I think I'm going to go for the utopia then. Hifimans are great, but nothing keeps me in the music like focals haha.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #19,410 of 20,736
I am loving Utopia. Picked mine up used a few months ago. Circa 2019 build I think. I just noticed this crack on the side. I doubt I would have not seen that when I got it. Seems in mint shape otherwise. Not sure how it could have happened. All my stuff is handled with extreme care. Anyone else heard of such a crack on the side?

I am in contact with Focal on repair cost. They have been responsive. Would need to ship to Canada though and that would add to cost and turnaround time.

IMG_2065.jpegIMG_2063.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back