Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 7, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #15,511 of 20,644
Came across a really lovely album that sounds so nice on the Utopia + tubes. Hope you guys enjoy it too.

Her voice sounds like a combination of Norah Jones and Stacey Kent.. simply mesmerising. There is a nice mix of mellow and fun songs.

Screenshot_20210708-060801_Roon_1.jpg

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #15,512 of 20,644
Hello everyone, as promised, I am back with some Utopia impressions and how it compares to AB-1266 and Susvara.

IMG_4995.jpg

If I am to ignore the price difference (800 CHF to Abyss and 1500 to Susvara), and ignore the fact that Utopia can be driven of pretty much anything (not necessarily to the fullest potential, but still it is a huge plus to Utopia), I am saddened to write, that I found Utopia to be lacking in terms of resolution when compared to AB-1266 or Susvara.

I wanted to try Utopia for one main reason - its intimate presentation, which I thought I would adore, as I am coming from AB-1266 that force "openness" on every song in my collection. In comparison, Utopia sounded very natural (lifelike) and its intimate presentation worked very well with songs that were recorded intimately. Unfortunately, other songs that were meant to sound open, were presented a bit weirdly to my ears (sounded collapsed). I don't think it would be break in or a cable selection, as this unit is a loaner that has been playing for hundreds of hours by now, and I tried two different (also broken in) cables. My second issue with Utopia, now in comparison to Susvara is that it has less bass than AB-1266 (this I expected and wouldn't subtract points for) but its lower end register resolution / layering / detail retrieval was not up to par with Susvara, when doing AB testing. I expected Utopia to sound very good and dynamic on songs from The Weeknd, but some of his more bass heavy work just sounds better on Susvara than on Utopia and I feel it is due to the lower end. Utopia is more intimate, which on those songs was a plus, but Susvara in comparison surprised me as it was able to render songs to my prediction quite well (songs recorded in open space sounded open and airy, intimate songs were not as intimate as Utopia, but perhaps 10% from it). Mids on both are just wonderful, even though Susvara is a tiny bit better on real life instruments (pianos and violins for example).

I would like to remind you that this is a fantastic headphone, and if I was not a snob who already owns AB-1266 and can afford to purchase Susvara, I would definitely recommend Utopia to others. I feel as if it was a bit less technical as both of those headphones, but presented itself in a way that the majority of people who did not hear Abyss or Hifiman would truly enjoy. The build is very comfortable, I like the carbon fibre, but the grill feels a bit plasticky. I absolutely love the cable locking mechanism, I wish more headphones had this (Dan Clark has something similar too). Tonality wise, it is closer to Susvara than AB-1266, as it sounds a bit more natural to my ears. It is also less V/U shaped than AB-1266, has much more intimate soundstage, is quite dynamic and packs a punch (not as much as AB-1266, but still) but unfortunately lacks refinement in the lower end register (even compared to Susvara).

I know some of you will disagree with my statements above, please know that I mean no disrespect nor want to dismiss your experiences, but these are mine alone. I hope some of you will find this post useful anyway. Thanks for reading.

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #15,514 of 20,644
Well my goal in getting the Focal Utopia was trying to get one of the best headphones that was easy to drive so I wouldn’t have to spend a fortune on equipment. Originally I thought the Hugo 2 would be the perfect match but now very happy with Naim Uniti Atom HE.

I’m willing to believe based on your review and others, that there are better sounding headphones out there if your budget allows. Even with the Utopias, you can go crazy on equipment but then that’s where you need to decide if you’d be better served by another headphone. But it will still come down your own personal taste.

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #15,515 of 20,644
Hello everyone, as promised, I am back with some Utopia impressions and how it compares to AB-1266 and Susvara.

If I am to ignore the price difference (800 CHF to Abyss and 1500 to Susvara), and ignore the fact that Utopia can be driven of pretty much anything (not necessarily to the fullest potential, but still it is a huge plus to Utopia), I am saddened to write, that I found Utopia to be lacking in terms of resolution when compared to AB-1266 or Susvara.

I wanted to try Utopia for one main reason - its intimate presentation, which I thought I would adore, as I am coming from AB-1266 that force "openness" on every song in my collection. In comparison, Utopia sounded very natural (lifelike) and its intimate presentation worked very well with songs that were recorded intimately. Unfortunately, other songs that were meant to sound open, were presented a bit weirdly to my ears (sounded collapsed). I don't think it would be break in or a cable selection, as this unit is a loaner that has been playing for hundreds of hours by now, and I tried two different (also broken in) cables. My second issue with Utopia, now in comparison to Susvara is that it has less bass than AB-1266 (this I expected and wouldn't subtract points for) but its lower end register resolution / layering / detail retrieval was not up to par with Susvara, when doing AB testing. I expected Utopia to sound very good and dynamic on songs from The Weeknd, but some of his more bass heavy work just sounds better on Susvara than on Utopia and I feel it is due to the lower end. Utopia is more intimate, which on those songs was a plus, but Susvara in comparison surprised me as it was able to render songs to my prediction quite well (songs recorded in open space sounded open and airy, intimate songs were not as intimate as Utopia, but perhaps 10% from it). Mids on both are just wonderful, even though Susvara is a tiny bit better on real life instruments (pianos and violins for example).

I would like to remind you that this is a fantastic headphone, and if I was not a snob who already owns AB-1266 and can afford to purchase Susvara, I would definitely recommend Utopia to others. I feel as if it was a bit less technical as both of those headphones, but presented itself in a way that the majority of people who did not hear Abyss or Hifiman would truly enjoy. The build is very comfortable, I like the carbon fibre, but the grill feels a bit plasticky. I absolutely love the cable locking mechanism, I wish more headphones had this (Dan Clark has something similar too). Tonality wise, it is closer to Susvara than AB-1266, as it sounds a bit more natural to my ears. It is also less V/U shaped than AB-1266, has much more intimate soundstage, is quite dynamic and packs a punch (not as much as AB-1266, but still) but unfortunately lacks refinement in the lower end register (even compared to Susvara).

I know some of you will disagree with my statements above, please know that I mean no disrespect nor want to dismiss your experiences, but these are mine alone. I hope some of you will find this post useful anyway. Thanks for reading.
Your impressions pretty much coincide with my own. The Utopia has a similar tonal profile to the Susvara, but the latter is just technically stronger across the board. The one area where the Utopia possibly holds the edge is in rendering sharp transients (e.g., snare drum), and of course its relative ease in driving. I can certainly enjoy an evening of music with the Utopia, but I listen to the Susvara far more often.

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #15,516 of 20,644
...The one area where the Utopia possibly holds the edge is in rendering sharp transients (e.g., snare drum) ...
Yes, rendering sharp transients accurately yet naturally is certainly a Utopia strength. Although, to my ears, with some material that strength can result in some percussion instruments being oddly emphasized vs other presentations.

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #15,517 of 20,644
Yes, rendering sharp transients accurately yet naturally is certainly a Utopia strength. Although, to my ears, with some material that strength can result in some percussion instruments being oddly emphasized vs other presentations.
Agreed, sharp transients on Utopia can almost sound hyperreal at certain times. The effect can even be a bit startling. The Susvara handles transients quite naturally and well in its own right. The HE1000 was rather weak in that regard, I thought, which is one main reason I bought the Utopia some years back.

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #15,518 of 20,644
Agreed, sharp transients on Utopia can almost sound hyperreal at certain times. The effect can even be a bit startling. The Susvara handles transients quite naturally and well in its own right. The HE1000 was rather weak in that regard, I thought, which is one main reason I bought the Utopia some years back.
Interesting. Which HEK were you using? HEKv1? (I've never heard that one).

I currently own Utopia & HEKse (traded up from v2 about 1+ years ago). I must admit I've never paid close attention to comparing this aspect of sound from Utopia & HEKse. I'll give it a shot tonight. I'm thinking the drums at the beginning of 'The Obvious Child' might be a good basis for comparison.

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #15,520 of 20,644
I take Utopia, over HEKse, more meat, better highs, faster, more dynamic and musical.
Your ears/my ears. For me it's more even. While I agree Utopia seems faster and more dynamic, HEKse sounds meatier to me, and I prefer HEKse bass. Also, 'better highs' would be qualified by 'which track' for me. As far as 'musical', to my ears that's pretty even as well (compared to Auteur for example).

I mostly switch between them (actually between all of my cans) based on what I'm listening to, and my mood.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #15,521 of 20,644
How is the longevity of Utopia? How is the headband holding up after years of use? Just wondering if there's way to replace the headband if it gets worn?

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #15,522 of 20,644
Interesting. Which HEK were you using? HEKv1? (I've never heard that one).

I currently own Utopia & HEKse (traded up from v2 about 1+ years ago). I must admit I've never paid close attention to comparing this aspect of sound from Utopia & HEKse. I'll give it a shot tonight. I'm thinking the drums at the beginning of 'The Obvious Child' might be a good basis for comparison.
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure now which version of the HEK? I bought the Utopia not too long after it was introduced, in late 2016. I went to Canjam LA with the intention of buying the best cans I heard at the show. Whatever was the top of the line from HFM at that date was what I compared the Utopia with. I liked a lot of things about the HE1000, but do recall it didn't quite have the "snap" and crispness of the Utopia, and the bass in particular was slightly amorphous. Don't recall what amp(s) I was listening to the HE1000 through on that occasion, and perhaps that might have been a factor, but I also preferred the look and feel of the Utopia over the HE1000, so just pulled the trigger at the show and came home with the Utopia. No real regrets, it's still the best dynamic headphone I've heard personally.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #15,523 of 20,644
How is the longevity of Utopia? How is the headband holding up after years of use? Just wondering if there's way to replace the headband if it gets worn?
The headband, like the earpads, can absorb skin oils. I'd highly recommend purchasing a knit cover to wrap around the headband. I got one a few years back off eBay that was sized appropriately for the Utopia. Maybe Google or search eBay for "headphone headband cover" and see what you can find. Mine has snaps, which is convenient. They usually are offered in a variety of colors. I got black, which doesn't draw much attention to itself when fitted onto the Utopia. Comfort may actually be slightly better than with the bare headband, as an added bonus!

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #15,524 of 20,644
I bought my Utopias new from a local dealer in October 2017. I use them regularly, but they still look like new. I do treat them with care, though. I don't wear them when my head is sweaty. I don't wear them when I've got any product in my hair. I don't leave them lying around the house. When they're not on my head, they're on the stand in my office room.

I don't know anything specific about replacing the headband, but it does not seem to be easily removable or replaceable.

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #15,525 of 20,644
I agree that utopia’s bass is one of weakest part, even Clear to my ears bested utopia in subbass region which sounded more naturally textured, but utopia was a big win over the rest of sound signature. Timbre as well sounds a bit artificial( I preffer HD650 here). The music where Utopia excells for me is Electronic. It just nails it with it’s speed and sterile presentation. Another thing is that utopia sounds amazing on low volumes and don’t need mutch regards source. I do enjoy them straight out of my macbook.

I’m thinking to buy a portable dac/amp to take with me on trips. Does anyone knows any which would play in favour with Utopia’s strengths ?

I had an eye on abyss, but 1266 looks too funky to me, maybe one day I’ll give it a go for diana phi or audeze as I do miss that planar bass sometimes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back