Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Dec 26, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #1,846 of 1,971
You really can’t judge the sound of a DAC/amp solely from the chip inside. The amplifier section and how well it mates with your headphones will have a bigger impact on the final result.
Can you buy one from somewhere you can return it if you don’t like it?
that's sadly no option that's why I am in this bomb shell of picking the cherry without knowing the taste

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,847 of 1,971
You can use any USB dock or hub to charge Mojo if you prefer not to use your computer. I typically charge mine on an USB dock overnight and it fully charges during that time.
there's the option to keep it charges 24/7 just by plugging to USB so it will be fine, we can use it while it's charging from the 2nd USB port so it's not issue. i have also USB hub and Furman p2300 USB connector for fast charge also compared to normal USB.

for the moment the chord mojo 2 seems like very valid choice, small, detailed, enough connectors, good price.

compared to z8 with many connector, also upscale the sound and the best ess chipset. but it's big and cost almost the same or even less.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,848 of 1,971
that's sadly no option that's why I am in this bomb shell of picking the cherry without knowing the taste
Mojo2 + Utopia = lots of happy listeners. It offers some sound tailoring to your preferences. It sounds great. It’s in your price range. Plenty of power to drive Utopia. It takes up almost no space on your desk. There are upgrade paths for later on should you want them. It’s a winner.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #1,849 of 1,971
They have giving you a very good option. The Mojo2 is outstanding unit for the money. It would be great for your gaming needs and Music on the go with the Utopia or a verity of other headphones. You can also step up and purchase a used Chord Hugo 2. But the Mojo2 for the money is very heard to beat.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #1,850 of 1,971
Suggest going into an audio store if possible and auditioning / listening to various pieces of hardware. “Better” is subjective as much as objective.

Utopia deserves a quality DAC to show its best.

Agreed Chord pairs very well with utopia 2022. I use the hugo2

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,851 of 1,971
I've decided I'm going to sell my Utopia 2022. I have the Lazuli Ref+ cable with it as well. If anybody is interested, PM me. Otherwise, I'm putting them up for sale in the classifieds soon.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #1,852 of 1,971
I want as natural as it can be with soundstage of hd800s with the correct bass and treble
Utopia soundstage is no where near that of the HD800, the two headphones could not be more different. I truly believe the Utopia is not the right choice for you based on what you have posted so far. You might be better served with a Raal SR1a/b if you want the next level HD800.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #1,853 of 1,971
Utopia soundstage is no where near that of the HD800, the two headphones could not be more different. I truly believe the Utopia is not the right choice for you based on what you have posted so far. You might be better served with a Raal SR1a/b if you want the next level HD800.
Great advice. For the use cases in question, purchasing a different headphone would have offset the cost to buy a suitable source and resulted in a better system with thousands saved.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #1,854 of 1,971
Great advice. For the use cases in question, purchasing a different headphone would have offset the cost to buy a suitable source and resulted in a better system with thousands saved.
Thanks, hope he picks up on the importance of source and amplification before diving into high cost headphones!

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #1,855 of 1,971

I agree on the soundstage being nowhere near the HD800 in terms of size of the space (horizontally). I would describe the soundstage of U22 as closer to the listener and perfectly spherical with pinpoint accuracy on the depth.

IMHO, U22 is a very revealing headphone that will sound true to your chain. This can be a pro or a con depending on your setup and preference. When I first got my Utopia (the OG), I was using a very basic setup (THX789 AAA amp + AQ Dragonfly usb dac) and to me it was an apparent upgrade in terms of technicality coming from Focal Clear.

As I upgrade my setup, I notice that Utopia really scales well with the chain. And now I'm using the U22 and I still think it has the same scalability like the OG. This is why among my collection, I still keep the U22 as my "chameleon" when I'm changing my chain.

@x7007 if you want to get a sound closer to the HD800 with the U22, I suggest trying a tube amp (OTL or OTC) and of course, YMMV.

I believe the true enjoyment in this hobby is the journey itself rather than getting that "endgame" setup. And of course, enjoying the music while you're in that journey :)

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,856 of 1,971
They say there is an issue with Mojo 2 - white noise. Someone tried a firmware update, but then he needed to replace it. so it's impossible to buy 2nd hand cause then I'll be screwed.

I wanted to order from eBay, but I don't trust the used ones. if I buy from the store it's an extra $200 compared to a used one, and I might still have the issue.

What are my options with this thing?

These look like crazy headphones, never heard of them, so they are an improvement beyond HD800s? nice, I might think about them on the future.

As for now the utopia seems like they keep the Soundstage in the same level at least as HD800s, I can pinpoint locations and noises in games like Diablo 4 so for me, they are fine. What I do hope is that I won't lose that with the new AMP + Dac because I think that's the issue with everyone saying there is no sound stage.

I have no idea what chip is on the GSX1000, but it is perfect on 3d sound.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,857 of 1,971
They say there is an issue with Mojo 2 - white noise. Someone tried a firmware update, but then he needed to replace it. so it's impossible to buy 2nd hand cause then I'll be screwed.

I wanted to order from eBay, but I don't trust the used ones. if I buy from the store it's an extra $200 compared to a used one, and I might still have the issue.

What are my options with this thing?

These look like crazy headphones, never heard of them, so they are an improvement beyond HD800s? nice, I might think about them on the future.

As for now the utopia seems like they keep the Soundstage in the same level at least as HD800s, I can pinpoint locations and noises in games like Diablo 4 so for me, they are fine. What I do hope is that I won't lose that with the new AMP + Dac because I think that's the issue with everyone saying there is no sound stage.

I have no idea what chip is on the GSX1000, but it is perfect on 3d sound.

Honestly, just stay with the Sennheiser GSX1000 and budget for a proper source in the future. Spending more money on the Mojo 2 is fruitless and whatever technical advantages it provides will be lost on you. And I say this as a Mojo and Mojo 2 owner.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #1,859 of 1,971
This is unfortunate and is the case for most of us.
I've been buying and trying since I started. If something isn't for my tastes after enough time spent with it--I sell it at a minimum loss.
There's nothing like hearing headphones/gear at home in your own system.

Dec 31, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #1,860 of 1,971
I have a Utopia 22 coming next week. I bought them on a great sale but have never heard them, however I've owned Focal Clear and Elex in the past and loved the sound from those. I also and a Meze Empyrean in the past, and while it had very good sound I found it a bit too laid back/smoothed over for my tastes.
I had those in the past paired with an Audio-GD NFB amp.

To power the Utopia's, I've also bought a used Ferrum Erco.

Anyone have any experience with the Utopia + Erco, especially if you also have heard the Clear, Elex, and/or Empyrean on an Audio-GD NFB and may provide some insights into what kind of an improvement I'm about to hear?

Also, and separately, has anyone every compared a Ferrum Erco or even Oor with a Naim Uniti Atom HE on the Utopia and could provide comparative insights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back