Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Aug 11, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #1,232 of 1,972
anyone tried the ZMF Utopia pads?

Aug 12, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #1,233 of 1,972
anyone tried the ZMF Utopia pads?
I have not tried the ZMF pads for the Utopia. But on the topic of ear pads, interestingly the Utopia 2022 has a different part number according to Focal and they’re not available for purchase yet.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #1,234 of 1,972
Today is last day HKAV Show. After trying few HPs and IEMs, only New Utopia still seduce me in 2023, so here i am join the club :relaxed:
There is Diana TC on my watch list but it will be another story for other day. :beerchug:
IMG_4493.jpg

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,235 of 1,972
Today is last day HKAV Show. After trying few HPs and IEMs, only New Utopia still seduce me in 2023, so here i am join the club :relaxed:
There is Diana TC on my watch list but it will be another story for other day. :beerchug:
IMG_4493.jpg
Congrats, GREAT headphone. I think you will find the consummation is even better than the seduction. :ksc75smile:

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,236 of 1,972
IMG_4493.jpg
Lilith got you. The rewards are real, but the cost is everything.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #1,237 of 1,972
Lilith got you. The rewards are real, but the cost is everything.
It cost a lots of grind but Mother's Mercy help me embrace the blessing. :smile:
The first night session, Utopia pass my comfortable test. I can listen for long session without neckpain.
Not conclusive assessment but i hear Utopia detail level is excellent same level with Stealth and easier to drive. I'm using TT2 to drive both.
WIll drop more impression when i fully familiar with all Utopia aspect. Cheers :beerchug:

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #1,239 of 1,972
I had gotten in on the 2022 Utopia deal on Adorama a few weeks ago, that's still backordered. I logged into my account just to check the status and saw my order was 'Canceled'. I definitely did not cancel my order, and the last email I got was a few days ago saying the item was still backordered. Anybody else getting this?

Aug 14, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #1,240 of 1,972
I had gotten in on the 2022 Utopia deal on Adorama a few weeks ago, that's still backordered. I logged into my account just to check the status and saw my order was 'Canceled'. I definitely did not cancel my order, and the last email I got was a few days ago saying the item was still backordered. Anybody else getting this?
My order was cancelled too...

:rage:

What!?

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,242 of 1,972
I spoke with Adorama's chat support about this: https://imgur.com/a/kUeSrY0

Unbelievable. They canceled the order without my knowledge or consent, to cover up their own mistake. Then offered me free shipping as a concession. What a disgraceful company. I will never give them business again.
This is the same business that sent unsealed, open-box and used units to customers. As I said earlier, they have customer service worse than Spirit Airlines. While I understand your disappointment you're best not dealing with Adorama because they wouldn’t have supported you with any warranty claim disputes. And unfortunately the 20% sale Focal authorized on August 7th ended on August 14th and you missed the ability to purchase them from another dealer at the sale price.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #1,243 of 1,972
This is the same business that sent unsealed, open-box and used units to customers. As I said earlier, they have customer service worse than Spirt Airlines. While I understand your disappointment you're best not dealing with Adorama because they wouldn’t have supported you with any warranty claim disputes. And unfortunately the 20% sale Focal authorized on August 7th ended on August 14th and you missed the ability to purchase them from another dealer at the sale price.

Thanks, I know better now. This deal was simply too good to pass up. $2300 off the 5k msrp was a 46% discount. I had been on the fence about spending this much but the deal swayed me, so this kills my excitement.

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,244 of 1,972
IMG_9505.jpeg

Recently picked up an OG Utopia to see how it compares to the Nutopia. I couldn’t resist not knowing and I needed to find out myself. I was prepared to part ways with the Nutopia if the OG could impress me enough.

Utopia (OG) and Nutopia (22) Comparison

This comparison was done using the following chain:
PP3>Innuos Zenith MK3 (using Sense and Roon)>Wavelight>EC Studio B - 300B
(stock focal cable to keep it fair)

Most of this is nitpicking because IMO these are very close. They’re definitely both a Utopia. Both have very good detail, speed, punch/slam, depth, and that Utopia trait where things just pop out in the mix and in a way that adds a sparkle to the experience. Very fun headphones.

Nutopia leans a touch warm in the low end. Guitars on the 22 have a bit more growl and come off fuller to me. Utopia/OG is still very good but if I had to pick one for bass I’d go 22. Depending on the recording the 22 seems to hit a tad harder at times too. The bass fills up some of the space and makes me feel it’s more complete. This is going to be a preference thing but I like the warmer tilt. With something like orchestral music I could see someone liking the OG a bit more but the increase in the low end doesn’t bother me here. It’s actually nice with upright bass, certain strings, horns, etc. If you’re a bass fan and listen to modern pop/hip hop/EDM/etc. I don’t know why you wouldn’t choose the 22. I’d probably say the same for most rock too.

Some recordings vocals can seem a tad fuller on the 22 as well. When I would do an A/B of the two to test clarity of the vocals, I think it’s too close to call. Both are great in this area. It’s not like the additional low end bleeds into the mids and hurts the vocals. I like how they accomplished this.

Stage is close too but I think the 22 can seem slightly larger. It’s very close but some reverbs and micro details in the distance seems a tad bit farther on the 22. Depth in the stage is pretty close too, I think this one is a toss up. I do think the 22 can be a tad bit more holographic at times. Some recordings will reveal this better than others.

Throughout the midrange I say it’s very close. Probably a preference thing again. Some recordings the 22 will have a slight touch of more body. Nothing crazy in one direction or another IMO. I’d take either.

When it comes to the high frequencies I think they both extend very well. I don’t want anything more from the 22 (heading into this I was thinking the 22 would lose here). The OG is just as good but occasionally, and I mean occasionally because most of the time it’s fine, but it can get just a touch spicy. While the 22 will extend just as high to me, it slightly takes that edge off with its touch of warmth. I’m not saying it’s blunted or dulled in anyway it’s just more pleasing to me. This typically happens in something like rock.

Timbre is close as well but I think at times I like the 22. I think I prefer the touch of body and warmth throughout the signature. Some recordings will show this better than others. Again close and nitpicking.

If I come up with anything else I’ll add some more to this. Overall they’re both great. Again, a lot of this is nitpicking. They’re close and I couldn’t see owning both. If I didn’t have the 22 I’d be completely content with the OG. Which makes me think I wish I would have tried the OG years ago. Probably would have saved some money along the way in my audio journey, IDK? The current OG prices are amazing and I don’t fault anyone for picking one up over the 22. As for me, I’ll stick with the 22. Even tho there’s a price difference, I feel the 22 fits my preferences a bit more. I could sell the 22 and get some cash back but I don’t know if I’d be as happy knowing what I’ve heard.

Maybe I’m crazy? Some swear by the OG… Idk? I like the 22 for the reasons mentioned above.

Oh and the OG is really nice looking in person. I wasn’t really a fan when looking at pics online, but they’re pretty in person
😄

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,245 of 1,972
IMG_9505.jpeg

Maybe I’m crazy? Some swear by the OG… Idk? I like the 22 for the reasons mentioned above.

Oh and the OG is really nice looking in person. I wasn’t really a fan when looking at pics online, but they’re pretty in person
😄
I've got to say sound aside I find the OG so much cooler looking than Nutopia....The new one could just be a focal clear mg pro or something. The Og with that silver grill just looks badass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back