Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Jul 22, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,036 of 1,971
Adorama.com selling for that price and still able to get money out of it. These margins are no surprise but still absolutely insane. These manufacturers keep laughing all the way to the bank.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,037 of 1,971
The reddit post seems like BS to me. My order is in processing and credit card still shows a temporary auth. Will update if / when there is a shipping notification
Eh seems some junior on the team decided to create the Reddit account and make a post on behalf of FocalNA to damage control? We can't ascertain that he has the authority to act and make decisions on behalf of FocalNA re: warranty at this stage.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 3.18.02 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 3.18.02 AM.png
    66 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #1,038 of 1,971
Wow just shows the markup on these headphones. Will bring down the used market price for these with this much discount at Adorama

Damn…nearly 50% off. That’s way more than dealer discounts. I guess they aren’t selling well. The used market is going to be upset. They’ll probably go for $1800 or $2000. From a $5K initial price to selling for $3K less…damn.

It pays to wait. This is great for those that don’t have them yet. They are 100% worth $2699. I don’t even really like my pair, but I’d buy this at $2699 in a heartbeat if I didn’t already have them.

If Androma can sell these at this price, they probably bought them for around $2K. This puts our dealers in a funny light. They’ve definitely been eating off us crazy. I’m going to be asking for much steeper discounts now.

Adorama.com selling for that price and still able to get money out of it. These margins are no surprise but still absolutely insane. These manufacturers keep laughing all the way to the bank.

TotL "flagship" IEMs, headphones, cables, DACs, amps, DAPs, etc. are all extremely overpriced. The constant price creep that started about a decade ago has gotten way out of hand. Audio companies will keep charging ridiculous prices because the market allows them to. There are more than enough audiophiles and rich people around the world willing to pay outrageous prices just to have luxury products and "the best" a company offers.

Pretty sure the markup on high-end audio gear is at least 60%-80% of manufacturing and labor cost. Even factoring in R&D, it's still over 50% markup.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #1,039 of 1,971

Message about the sale on reddit from a supposed new Focal account. Shady by Adorama.

Wondering if my HD800S I bought a few months back at $1199 from Adorama have a real warranty.

Pretty sure this is a troll account or it's an NA retailer who is mad and trying to make people scared about buying from Adorama. The account was created today for this 1 purpose.

Don't pay attention to this FUD. Until the official Focal account that's actually verified on head-fi comes out with an official statement, this brand new Reddit account should be completely dismissed.

Focal can't cancel the warranty from an authorized dealer of theirs anyway, just because they had an unauthorize sale. It's illegal both in the U.S. and in Europe to not honor the warranty on a brand new product from an authorized retailer.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #1,040 of 1,971
Jul 22, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #1,041 of 1,971
TotL "flagship" IEMs, headphones, cables, DACs, amps, DAPs, etc. are all extremely overpriced. The constant price creep that started about a decade ago has gotten way out of hand. Audio companies will keep charging ridiculous prices because the market allows them to. There are more than enough audiophiles and rich people around the world willing to pay outrageous prices just to have luxury products and "the best" a company offers.

Pretty sure the markup on high-end audio gear is at least 60%-80% of manufacturing and labor cost. Even factoring in R&D, it's still over 50% markup.
Typical pricing structure on "high end" audio products: MSRP is roughly 5x cost to manufacture. The wholesale price to the retailer is about 50% of MSRP. Obviously these are approximations, and the actual costs may vary depending on such factors as the level of warranty support, the volume turned over by the retailer, etc.

Still, offering a $5K MSRP headphone at $2700 surely means the retailer is working on pretty tight margins.

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #1,042 of 1,971
Pretty sure this is a troll account or it's an NA retailer who is mad and trying to make people scared about buying from Adorama. The account was created today for this 1 purpose.

Don't pay attention to this FUD. Until the official Focal account that's actually verified on head-fi comes out with an official statement, this brand new Reddit account should be completely dismissed.

Focal can't cancel the warranty from an authorized dealer of theirs anyway, just because they had an unauthorize sale. It's illegal both in the U.S. and in Europe to not honor the warranty on a brand new product from an authorized retailer.
Makes sense. Really hope headphones.com would match the price...

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #1,043 of 1,971
Looks like that Reddit thing was a fake account. The announcement by Focal no longer exists.

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,044 of 1,971
Jul 22, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #1,046 of 1,971
So if the Focal reddit account that was frowning on the sale was fake, does that mean headphones.com will now price match?
I hope so. Haven't had a chance to check again yet. Please post here if anyone has updates

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #1,047 of 1,971
Looks like that Reddit thing was a fake account. The announcement by Focal no longer exists.
The subreddit mods verified that the account was real.

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #1,050 of 1,971
So if the Focal reddit account that was frowning on the sale was fake, does that mean headphones.com will now price match?
Highly doubt it. I tried to price match on headphones.com when I bought my 2020 Utopias for around this price, it did not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back