Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Jun 20, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #976 of 1,971
I'm driving my lovely '22 Utopia with the RMI ADI-2. I read and viewed reviews of the Utopia driven by higher end tube amps (e.g. Feliks) and was curious whether there's some magic to the pairing while preserving the incredible details and balance I hear with the Utopia. In other words - it is my understanding that very good tube amps preserve details, sound stage and layering, while introducing "energy" and "liquidity". I was wondering if anyone here is listening to and enjoying their Utopia through a tube amp?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, not always.

With Cayin HA-6A, Utopia 2022 somehow turn into bass heavy headphones. While on Ferrum Oor/Hypsos or Busson Grand Tourer, Utopia 2022 is simply more balance and precise. When I tried ZMF Verite on these 3 headphones amps, while these amps clearly don't sound identical, but still similar in bass presentation one to each other.

I'm still not sure what actually happen between Cayin Tube amp and Utopia. Focal use 80 Ohm impedance, so I don't think it mismatch impedance issue.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #977 of 1,971
Well, not always.

With Cayin HA-6A, Utopia 2022 somehow turn into bass heavy headphones. While on Ferrum Oor/Hypsos or Busson Grand Tourer, Utopia 2022 is simply more balance and precise. When I tried ZMF Verite on these 3 headphones amps, while these amps clearly don't sound identical, but still similar in bass presentation one to each other.

I'm still not sure what actually happen between Cayin Tube amp and Utopia. Focal use 80 Ohm impedance, so I don't think it mismatch impedance issue.
Interesting. And really good to know. Thank you.

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #978 of 1,971
I am using a Tor balanced amp for mine (https://toraudio.com/main.html#) and it is a lovely combination. A have been impressed with that amp with other headphones as well and it certainly brings out the magic of the Utopia 2022.
Thank you! It's so interesting to see small'ish companies make great products in this space, and in this case, very reasonably priced. What DAC/Pre amp is feeding the Tor in your case?

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #979 of 1,971
I'm driving my lovely '22 Utopia with the RMI ADI-2. I read and viewed reviews of the Utopia driven by higher end tube amps (e.g. Feliks) and was curious whether there's some magic to the pairing while preserving the incredible details and balance I hear with the Utopia. In other words - it is my understanding that very good tube amps preserve details, sound stage and layering, while introducing "energy" and "liquidity". I was wondering if anyone here is listening to and enjoying their Utopia through a tube amp?

Thanks for your feedback.

You have the RME...., so you can add enough Magic to the Utopia 😎

NOMAX

PS.lol

Jun 20, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #982 of 1,971

Ah, I'm glad you mention this.

The Nutopia on my former Cayin HA-300 mk1 sounded excessivly warm and congested, which I found pretty unexpected, since none of the other dynamic driver headphones I ever used reacted to that amp in this way (eg, including the Denon D9200, which is 24 ohms). And I use a Lazuli Reference Plus cable, which is very open-sounding, and leaning towards bright actually.

FWIW, I'm using a Auris Nirvana now, and the synergy with the Nutopia is more in line of what I would have expected -- some expected extra warmth, but by no means over-done.

Anyway, this makes me speculate that a prospective Utopia buyer looking to pair it with a tube amp less neutral than say a WA33 would do well to compare the Utopia 2022 to the OG Utopia on such an amp, and possibly save a couple thousand bucks in the process, like if they were to discover that the tube synergy with the OG is more to their liking...

Jun 21, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #983 of 1,971
Anyway, this makes me speculate that a prospective Utopia buyer looking to pair it with a tube amp less neutral than say a WA33 would do well to compare the Utopia 2022 to the OG Utopia on such an amp, and possibly save a couple thousand bucks in the process, like if they were to discover that the tube synergy with the OG is more to their liking...
Well put. I'm curious: Is there more than warmth that the Nirvana adds to the mix? I hear great things about this amp.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #984 of 1,971
Well put. I'm curious: Is there more than warmth that the Nirvana adds to the mix? I hear great things about this amp.
Ah yea, the Nirvana has good resolution, speed, and separation (and power) while making the Utopia more listenable than with solid state. I know there's been a renewed infatuation with 300B on the forum over the last couple years, but I'm very happy to have made the "lateral" move to EL34's, heh.

Jun 22, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #985 of 1,971
Everything just sounds so nice and balanced with these. Not overly analytical or bright. Now I even got the 4.4mm cable that I prefer to use.

dac0cCJ.jpeg

Jun 23, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #986 of 1,971
Everything just sounds so nice and balanced with these. Not overly analytical or bright. Now I even got the 4.4mm cable that I prefer to use.
That looks great! Everything in your setup shown has a black theme going on. What's the exact cable specs that you went with from Forza? I think I'll order a 1.2m Forza cable, also with 4.4mm balanced, but not sure if Noir Hybrid or Mk2 is better pairing. I just bought someone's Focal Utopia v3 2022: https://photos.app.goo.gl/akjc7QQ9g2nmr8C2A

Jun 24, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #988 of 1,971
Jul 3, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #989 of 1,971
@marcusd

Yes, this is also my point of criticism that they have not included a Pentaconn with the new Utopia 👿👎

Otherwise I am still highly satisfied with what I get to hear 😎👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Jul 6, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #990 of 1,971
I have had the Utopia 2022 for a couple of weeks now, overall am enjoying them so far but undecided as to whether or not I prefer the Expanse and I guess time will tell. plus have put probably only around 20 hours into them so far whereas the DCAs are fully burnt in.

I am not a fan of the stock cable, I mean it works well enough but it feels a little cheap. Perhaps Focal expect most to choose an alternate which leads me on to my question, can anyone recommend a cable that perhaps adds a little warmth and is an ergonomic improvement over stock (not hard) cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back