Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Jan 24, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #706 of 1,972
#spoiledforchoice

PXL_20230124_202310213.jpg

One is a replacement, the other is going back on an RMA. Also, ignore how the right headphone cable is going into the left driver. There was a reason for that. But not worth going into.

Jan 24, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #707 of 1,972
#spoiledforchoice

PXL_20230124_202310213.jpg

One is a replacement, the other is going back on an RMA. Also, ignore how the right headphone cable is going into the left driver. There was a reason for that. But not worth going into.
What was the issue?

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #714 of 1,972
Finally able to test Utopia 2022 properly.

I would put Utopia 2022 at the same category as DCA Expanse, Audeze LDC-5 and Abyss Diana TC as "closer to" intimate presentation. As oppose of "wide and floating" like Abyss AB1266, Hifiman Susvara and Meze Elite.

Seems like Focal really able to "tame" Berrylium Driver very nicely. Hard for me to enjoy Utopia OG due to extra brightness in treble, but now it's gone. The treble still energetic and has good attack, but things like glare or harshness is nowhere to be found. To the extend, that actually Utopia 2022 is smoother and has a little less "brilliance" feel compared to ZMF Verite (using BE2 Pad). On my test song, Norah Jones - Waiting, this song has typical a little sibilance in Vocal area, and Utopia 2022 actually present the sibilance smoother than ZMF Verite.

Vocal is intimate, forward, reminds me of DCA Expanse, but Focal deliver more energy, more bite, with more or less same body. Upper midrange is smoother with Focal (especially with bad recording) than Expanse.

Bass is punchy, again, energetic character, but with fuller tone than Utopia OG. I would say the bass quantity is a bit similar like ZMF Verite.

Technical wise, well, still Utopia, rich of micro detail, one of if not the fastest dynamic driver out there, and still prject soundstage like the old Utopia. Not too big, and actually I can enjoy the width presentation well, but height presentation is. a bit limited when compared to other flagship. For instance DCA Expanse definitely project height stage with more spacious feel.

I can imagine Clear MG User now found the straight upgrade.

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #715 of 1,972
Finally able to test Utopia 2022 properly.

I would put Utopia 2022 at the same category as DCA Expanse, Audeze LDC-5 and Abyss Diana TC as "closer to" intimate presentation. As oppose of "wide and floating" like Abyss AB1266, Hifiman Susvara and Meze Elite.

Seems like Focal really able to "tame" Berrylium Driver very nicely. Hard for me to enjoy Utopia OG due to extra brightness in treble, but now it's gone. The treble still energetic and has good attack, but things like glare or harshness is nowhere to be found. To the extend, that actually Utopia 2022 is smoother and has a little less "brilliance" feel compared to ZMF Verite (using BE2 Pad). On my test song, Norah Jones - Waiting, this song has typical a little sibilance in Vocal area, and Utopia 2022 actually present the sibilance smoother than ZMF Verite.

Vocal is intimate, forward, reminds me of DCA Expanse, but Focal deliver more energy, more bite, with more or less same body. Upper midrange is smoother with Focal (especially with bad recording) than Expanse.

Bass is punchy, again, energetic character, but with fuller tone than Utopia OG. I would say the bass quantity is a bit similar like ZMF Verite.

Technical wise, well, still Utopia, rich of micro detail, one of if not the fastest dynamic driver out there, and still prject soundstage like the old Utopia. Not too big, and actually I can enjoy the width presentation well, but height presentation is. a bit limited when compared to other flagship. For instance DCA Expanse definitely project height stage with more spacious feel.

I can imagine Clear MG User now found the straight upgrade.
I find the strength with the Utopia’s stage is the depth. I find it really good. Width isn’t great but also not terrible imo. Glad you’re enjoying it.

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #717 of 1,972
The new Utopia might well be the best all-rounder of all TOTL cans and it's so easy to drive that it's a viable portable solution as well.

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #718 of 1,972
The new Utopia might well be the best all-rounder of all TOTL cans and it's so easy to drive that it's a viable portable solution as well.

Agree!

Utopia 2022 is a good example that being transparent and detail, doesn't always mean bright and sharp. It could be energetic and fun sounding too.

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #719 of 1,972
For me new Utopia have artificial muted treble, is my biggest complain.

I like shiny treble just like in 1266 TC.

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #720 of 1,972
I don’t find this the case at all but your ears, chain, and music my say otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back