Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #346 of 1,972
I was supposed to get the new Utopias today, but Focal sent the old ones :cry:
That is the second time I have read this. Maybe they will do a next day for you?

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #347 of 1,972
You too! We probably have the same dealer. He said Focal sent 2022 and 2020 in the same container and they assumed that they were all 2022.

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #349 of 1,972
New day, fresh ears, and I decided I’d test it in the other direction, with the 2022 and Chord Mojo 2 settings on +1 for both the green and blue frequency bands to make it sound like the OG. I immediately noticed a sibilance I don’t get on the OG, so I realized my judgment last night could have been affected by my ears being tired from the day, causing my hearing of the highest frequencies to be blunted a bit. So instead I now turned down the highest, blue, frequency band back to neutral, leaving only the green one at +1, and that appeared to *really* hit the spot, making the 2022 sound pretty much exactly like the OG, and also, when setting only the green band *down* to -1 on the OG, it again sounded very much like the 2022! Additionally, when I turn up the green band on the 2022 1 dB I need to turn the overall volume 1 dB down to get the same loudness level as the OG.

So in short: turn the green frequency band on the Chord Mojo 2 *down* one dB on the OG, and *up* one dB on the 2022 for best mutual cloning results. :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks for the update! I had a hunch about the 2022 (setting the EQ on the OG via the Mojo 2 confirms it)

The Mojo 2's EQ option is killer!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #350 of 1,972
Thanks for the update! I had a hunch about the 2022 (setting the EQ on the OG via the Mojo 2 confirms it)

The Mojo 2's EQ option is killer!
Yes, that EQ option is great and really comes in handy here! Listening to some more things I started to notice that on the 2022 with the EQ setting green +1 there was actually a touch more lower bass than on the OG, but it doesn’t appear the be one full dB, so the cloning effect is not perfect, but still close enough to get a very good impression of what the 2022 sounds like. :relaxed:

This is the type of subtle difference that is almost impossible to pick up even on a private listening session at a store, which is why I always order items like these to really give them the time and space they deserve.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #351 of 1,972
Yes, that EQ option is great and really comes in handy here! Listening to some more things I started to notice that on the 2022 with the EQ setting green +1 there was actually a touch more lower bass than on the OG, but it doesn’t appear the be one full dB, so the cloning effect is not perfect, but still close enough to get a very good impression of what the 2022 sounds like. :relaxed:

This is the type of subtle difference that is almost impossible to pick up even on a private listening session at a store, which is why I always order items like these to really give them the time and space they deserve.
Each unit is slightly different - hence the need to driver match - so I am not surprised you can't get them quite identical. Plus the sound will likely change slightly the more you use the 2022 due to burn in. In saying that I wish I could detect such small differences. I avoid A/B tests because I just have such a poor memory for what things sound like! I'm quite envious :)

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #352 of 1,972

Try giving the OG a +1 on yellow

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #353 of 1,972
I hate to say it but it doesnt surprise me...nothing surprises me anymore...after a year of waiting months and months for orders and my orders getting lost in transit and then my being scammed here I am not a bit surprised lol...sorry though

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #355 of 1,972
Each unit is slightly different - hence the need to driver match - so I am not surprised you can't get them quite identical. Plus the sound will likely change slightly the more you use the 2022 due to burn in. In saying that I wish I could detect such small differences. I avoid A/B tests because I just have such a poor memory for what things sound like! I'm quite envious :)
True, none are identical, and every detail has an impact on the sound, also e.g. the flattening of the earpads over time, which is why I made sure I had fresh ones for the OG before ordering the 2022 to make a meaningful comparison. What made me realize the lower bass was different is because I noticed some details getting masked just a little, which did not stand out with other things I had listened to.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #357 of 1,972
Scammed? 😮
What happened? If I may ask
I bought a HP from somebody on here...they told me they would give me shipping info the next day and then they went dark...I noticed there was shipping info on my paypal account so I thought all was well...a couple of days later ups said the package was delivered but I had received no package so I called ups and they asked me my name and address and they told me the package had been delivered to another name and address but in my zip code which caused paypal to declare the item delivered and closed...it took a long time and a lot of effort to prove it was a scam which I finally did and got my money back but it was a huge hassle..it is a clever scam if you think of it they send an empty box or whatever to a different address and then say they shipped it and it was received...be warned and be careful

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #358 of 1,972
I bought a HP from somebody on here...they told me they would give me shipping info the next day and then they went dark...I noticed there was shipping info on my paypal account so I thought all was well...a couple of days later ups said the package was delivered but I had received no package so I called ups and they asked me my name and address and they told me the package had been delivered to another name and address but in my zip code which caused paypal to declare the item delivered and closed...it took a long time and a lot of effort to prove it was a scam which I finally did and got my money back but it was a huge hassle..it is a clever scam if you think of it they send an empty box or whatever to a different address and then say they shipped it and it was received...be warned and be careful
The shame of this is not only the scumbag scammer, but PayPal siding with the seller just because the package states "delivered".
My past two experiences with PP have gotten very heated on my end to say the very least due to to this.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #359 of 1,972
The shame of this is not only the scumbag scammer, but PayPal siding with the seller just because the package states "delivered".
My past two experiences with PP have gotten very heated on my end to say the very least due to to this.
PayPal is fukcing trash. I’ve had so many issues with them, but you have to use them as they hold a monopoly. :rage:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back