Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 18, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #3,961 of 4,499
I did order some GUCraftsman cables--16 strands 7N single-crystal Copper/Silver mix and 6N Single Crystal Silver. Going to see if there is a sound different from a more pure silver cable or mix compared to the silver-lined [Meze Classic 99 upgrade]. ....
I received the GUCrastman cables last week. I did not have a lot of time to do a comparison. I was using a FiiO BTR5 and Spotify on PC. All cables are 2.5mm balanced

The pure silver cable compared to Meze had no significant difference. What difference there was I could not say wasn't a placebo effect. It was a light and airy sound. Sounded really good with songs like Bill Withers' Aint No Sunshine.

The Coppe/Silver mix was interesting. It had a darker sound stage compared to both cables mentioned above. It sounded really good with songs like Filter's You Walk Away.

All that said, all the cables sound very good. All had very similar microphonics. The hybrid cable had the lowest, and Meze was the worse of the three. All three only have from the split to the headphone. Required a good wack to hear hit and significant cable tension.

That all said, I do think the build quality is a little better in the GUCrastman cables. On the Meze Classic 99 4.4mm balanced cable, the headphone casing has started slipping off, which is an issue when trying to disconnect to the headphone. Thus, forced to pull the cable instead. It's not disconnecting from 4.4mm jack, but that may be only a matter of time.
20220418_065739.jpg

20220418_065746.jpg

L-R: GUC hybrid, GUC SIlver, Meze Classic 99

Thus, there is a bit of conflict on which cable to keep. There is a price difference between the two silver cables of about $70US. The Hybrid cable is about $385US. Not sure if the sonic difference is really worth it to me.

Attachments

• 20220418_065739.jpg
    20220418_065739.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #3,962 of 4,499
Yep, Matt's hybrid is a highly universal range that works very well with Focals and Senns. We'd use his copper series for cans short on bass amount, but FAW's hybrid would step in with pretty much everything else :)
I'm really quite happy with his stuff, I own 3 Forza cables, and probably all I will order going forward.

Apr 18, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #3,963 of 4,499
3 weeks in with these beauties, thought I'd share some impressions of this femme fatale of a headphone, that has extracted thousands of dollars from many a head fier with its siren song.

In a word, Wow.

When I was five years old I found an old walkman in my grandmar's loft, some Sony on ears, and proceeded to listen to it when we went out into London that afternoon. It was magic, I still remember the exact places we went, something about having music on the go was mind blowing for me as a child, boring walks became intense and memorable.

And that's why I chose Stellia. Plugging these into a Hugo, and strolling around the park, or the block, is a mind bending experience. Try listening to some Daft Punk while watching a sunset over the city skyline, or Air on a crisp morning. It's magic.

Comparisons

Previously I made these same walks with the Bowers & Wilkins P9, or Campfire Solaris, or Focal Celestee, the last of which I've just sold to make room in the coop. The difference is vast, the Stellia demand your attention and wow you. Especially with vocals. I find it quite remarkable how much of an upgrade they are over my outgoing Celestee (and previously Elegia). The signature is very different too, it sounds less metallic and more natural than my other focals, for lack of a better term.

A surprising contrast with the celestee is the improved comfort, too. The Stellia clamp more, but they are far more stable on my head, making for a much better portable experience. A surprising difference given the Celestee is a newer model.

Sources

Even compared to my Clear these reach new heights, amazing for a closed back. I've been using them with Mojo 2 and Hugo, I much prefer Hugo with them for what it's worth.

stellia.jpg

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #3,964 of 4,499
Plugging these into a Hugo, and strolling around the park, or the block, is a mind bending experience. Try listening to some Daft Punk while watching a sunset over the city skyline, or Air on a crisp morning. It's magic.
While I’m too cautious to wear my Stellias out and about, this is a great point. Great music played back faithfully while seeing something that makes an impression makes a massive imprint on your soul.

I had a similar experience with Radiohead’s “A Moon-Shaped Pool” played over an iPod feeding an Oppo HA-2SE and Shure customized IEMs while riding an early-morning bus in Norway.
the Stellia demand your attention and wow you. Especially with vocals. I find it quite remarkable how much of an upgrade they are over my outgoing Celestee (and previously Elegia). The signature is very different too, it sounds less metallic and more natural than my other focals, for lack of a better term.
Great point about Stellia demanding your attention, while sounding “live” rather than “metallic”. The Focal dynamics pull you in.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #3,965 of 4,499
Sooo those garish dark brown stains are creeping up the sides of the headband, presumably from my bald head...Im guessing theres no way to reverse this process and get the glorious original colour back?

Apr 25, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #3,967 of 4,499
This coloration is really bad, Focal really don't notice that in testing process?
They surely did, the thing is, Focal are a business. The pads on Clear & Elegia are so prone to discolouration im guessing it was a choice by focal (Surely) to stifle the used market. Its smart. There's no way in heck being the engineers and designers they are they would unknowingly make products that stain with even light use, when every other headphone manufacturer is capable of doing otherwise

Apr 25, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #3,968 of 4,499
This coloration is really bad, Focal really don't notice that in testing process?
It's leather...and there are so many factors that can influence a change in color, texture, etc. I've had my Stellia's for 18 months now and they have darkened evenly. I've not put any treatments on the headband and my teenage kids frequently use them. Over time I do expect the headband to show some "wear". Some of the pictures that have been posted do look pretty bad...It's just unclear if that is due to faulty materials or the environment they are used in. For now, I am considering myself lucky with the batch I received...

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #3,970 of 4,499
and here we go again:angry:
The community enjoys your involvement and feedback. There has not been a lot of activity here (Stellia thread) so the next best thing is to bring up topics that have been beaten to death in hopes that you forgot...or maybe have new info to share. Sorry...but your response made me laugh out loud. :)

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #3,971 of 4,499
The community enjoys your involvement and feedback. There has not been a lot of activity here (Stellia thread) so the next best thing is to bring up topics that have been beaten to death in hopes that you forgot...or maybe have new info to share. Sorry...but your response made me laugh out loud. :)
i like looking at other setups that everybody use, what amps or dacs work good with the stellia etc.....Glad to give someone a laugh
20220423_165736.jpg

Apr 26, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #3,972 of 4,499
anyone got any upgrade / 3rd party cable they want to move on? Looking for a 2m length cable for Stellia with 6.3mm connector :relaxed:

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #3,973 of 4,499
Anyone got any recommendations for a good dongle to use with these when moving about? I liked iFi Go Blu btu was concerned the bluetooth was losing my some SQ. Ive heard lotoo S2 is good, but am not sure on the synergy with Stellia. Atm I use a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS 2 and its mediocre at best

Apr 26, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #3,974 of 4,499
anyone got any upgrade / 3rd party cable they want to move on? Looking for a 2m length cable for Stellia with 6.3mm connector :relaxed:
Just sold one, unfortunately…

But I will say that on a limited budget, I’ve been BLOWN AWAY by how good the Audio Ninja 🥷 cables are for around $70+ USD.

I got two as balanced 4.4mm short cables for DAP use with both Focal and ZMF terminations, and am VERY impressed. Great sound, well-made… incredible for the money.

Generally I swear by Norne Audio cables (and plan to buy two more of them to round out my collection for single-ended listening needs), but on a budget the Audio(phile?) Ninja cables are very, very good.

May 8, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #3,975 of 4,499
I am using the Sony MUC-B20SB1 Kimber-made cable, not the stock. It is 4.4mm balanced, which is perfect for the Z1, but 2m long, which makes it a little awkward to walk around with, I don't think Sony makes a 1m version, which is too bad. The only thing the mod does is pop off the screw on connectors, I have 3 different cables for my Z1R and rarely screw the connectors down anyway when I change cables, the 3.5mm plugs seem to connect pretty tightly by themselves. It is easy to put the screw down connectors & retaining clips back on, but I would think there would be some wear and tear on the clips doing this a lot. Considering you can get the MUC-B20SB1 for around $300, it is an absolutely screaming bargain vs. buying custom cables (many of which are not as good as Kimber). I am thinking about buying a second cable and permanently shortening to 1m.
Can you please explain how to mod the end so it will fit my Focal Clear? I do want these cables (as the Axios is so expensive)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back