Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 24, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #3,841 of 4,499
These came in last night. Coming from the Elegia, these are... amazing. Take everything the Elegia does right and it's just... better.

Definitely the Focal house sound if you like that... smaller soundstage than my Kennerton's but not small for a closed back by any means. Great precision in imaging and layering. All the detail you could ever want. Mostly neutral to slightly warm leaning.

Everything I read seems accurate, these will complement my Rognir Dynamics quite well I think, I may be at my end game.
They really do improve on the Elegia in a big way, and fill in the much needed missing low end.
For some reason I feel like they sound even more open/big than Elegia, which seems odd as they have the same inner cup I think. Did you notice that at all?

Feb 24, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #3,842 of 4,499
They really do improve on the Elegia in a big way, and fill in the much needed missing low end.
For some reason I feel like they sound even more open/big than Elegia, which seems odd as they have the same inner cup I think. Did you notice that at all?
I love the Elegia. If you listen to the Stellia and Elegia back to back and compare them, I would describe the Elegia as grey with a flat sounding stage. The Stellia have a globe-like stage and sound colorful with that big round controlled bass, and much more upper mid presence. The detail is leagues ahead.

Feb 24, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #3,843 of 4,499

I don't know if they felt more open or the separation is just better making it seem more open?

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #3,845 of 4,499
I had a chance to hear these at a headphone store in south korea. Really liked em' a lot. They looks and feel like luxury. Hipe to get a used pair one day.. or trade up gor them. Any of you have these? If so, what dac/amp you using?
I've had my pair for over 6 months now and really like them, I have the Focal Arche DAC which is nice but recently bought a Mojo 2 and I find myself using the Mojo 2 more.
I upgraded from a Mojo 1 and it's worth it. I am also using the Moon Audio Black Dragon cables with the Mojo and the sound is superb. Well worth the outlay you can listen for hours with no discomfort and the sound and soundstage is immense.

Feb 27, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #3,846 of 4,499
I had a chance to hear these at a headphone store in south korea. Really liked em' a lot. They looks and feel like luxury. Hipe to get a used pair one day.. or trade up gor them. Any of you have these? If so, what dac/amp you using?
I would recommend an organic-sounding source/DAC as the Stellia is very detailed.

I use the Schiit Gungnir multi-bit as the source, and a combination of the Violectric V200 (solid-state) and Feliks Audio Echo (tubes) for amplification. The Violectric is really good with the Stellia, and with the right tubes the Echo is excellent too.

That said, you could spend a lot more on the amp/source and the Stellia would only improve! If budget were not a factor, I’d probably use a Niimbus solid-state amp and a Feliks Audio Euphoria. That would keep the sound in the same general vein as what I have, but allow the Stellia to work to its potential.

[sigh] But budget is of course an issue, and I’m blessed to have the setup I already have…

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #3,847 of 4,499
I would recommend an organic-sounding source/DAC as the Stellia is very detailed.

I use the Schiit Gungnir multi-bit as the source, and a combination of the Violectric V200 (solid-state) and Feliks Audio Echo (tubes) for amplification. The Violectric is really good with the Stellia, and with the right tubes the Echo is excellent too.

That said, you could spend a lot more on the amp/source and the Stellia would only improve! If budget were not a factor, I’d probably use a Niimbus solid-state amp and a Feliks Audio Euphoria. That would keep the sound in the same general vein as what I have, but allow the Stellia to work to its potential.

[sigh] But budget is of course an issue, and I’m blessed to have the setup I already have…

Yes, the Stellia do look and feel like luxury, they are superbly built and finished. Even my wife commented on their luxury and thought they were much more expensive than they are! That they sound superb too, is the cherry on the icing on the cake!

Agree with @AudioDuck. Mine are driven by the Chord TT DAC/Amp and the pairing is extremely detailed, clear and clean to the point where I am considering a warmer amp to dial this down a little.

Although the Stellia scale beautifully with high end amps, they also bring out the best of more reasonably priced amps and DAPs.

Hope you manage to grab a pair one day...

Mar 1, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #3,848 of 4,499
New Stellia owner. I've only had them less than a day. In the past I used to listen to Sennheiser HD600 and Etypomtic Research 4T IEM. I had headphones amps for them too. Unfortunately, the amp the powered the HD600s burnt out and did not get it replaced. The 4Ts were a little inconvenient compared to Bluetooth IEMs. Plus, I wouldn't use either at the gym. I've been listen to cheap cans the last ten years. I still have the previously mentioned cans, but they're at my parents (2800 miles away)

When I tried out the Stellia today, what a harsh reminder that I have been listening to cheap headphones. The Soundpeats H1 IEMs are ok, but nowhere to the level of the Stellia. I've ran them on the PC (Intel NUC) and Galaxy Note 20 Ulta. Both with and without FiiO BTR5. The BTR5 does make the Stellia sing a bit more. It definitely gets a lot louder. I'm going to wait bit for the excitement to die down, but I may get a desktop amp, such as the FiiO K9 Pro; probably the ESS version. I have seen some good reviews for the RME ADI 2 DAC FS and a couple of different Topping DACs.

I do want to get a balanced cable to use the balanced output on the BTR5, which uses a 2.5mm jack. I've also been happy with the BTR5. I was really surprised how small in physical size it is. A few quirks I'm trying to figure out.

On a side note, I'm having to get use to using the computer's volume control, again. The Steelseries Arctics 3 Bluetooh have a volume control on the headset.

The picture I thought turned out pretty good. Not bad for point and shoot with the smartphone, 8)

Attachments

• 20220228_141008.jpg
    20220228_141008.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 1, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #3,849 of 4,499
New Stellia owner. I've only had them less than a day. In the past I used to listen to Sennheiser HD600 and Etypomtic Research 4T IEM. I had headphones amps for them too. Unfortunately, the amp the powered the HD600s burnt out and did not get it replaced. The 4Ts were a little inconvenient compared to Bluetooth IEMs. Plus, I wouldn't use either at the gym. I've been listen to cheap cans the last ten years. I still have the previously mentioned cans, but they're at my parents (2800 miles away)

When I tried out the Stellia today, what a harsh reminder that I have been listening to cheap headphones. The Soundpeats H1 IEMs are ok, but nowhere to the level of the Stellia. I've ran them on the PC (Intel NUC) and Galaxy Note 20 Ulta. Both with and without FiiO BTR5. The BTR5 does make the Stellia sing a bit more. It definitely gets a lot louder. I'm going to wait bit for the excitement to die down, but I may get a desktop amp, such as the FiiO K9 Pro; probably the ESS version. I have seen some good reviews for the RME ADI 2 DAC FS and a couple of different Topping DACs.

I do want to get a balanced cable to use the balanced output on the BTR5, which uses a 2.5mm jack. I've also been happy with the BTR5. I was really surprised how small in physical size it is. A few quirks I'm trying to figure out.

On a side note, I'm having to get use to using the computer's volume control, again. The Steelseries Arctics 3 Bluetooh have a volume control on the headset.

The picture I thought turned out pretty good. Not bad for point and shoot with the smartphone, 8)
The thing about the Stellia that amazes me the most is how good they sound out of the box with a simple set up (e.g., direct connection to laptop or iPad) with little need for extra power to drive them. Connect a small DAC (eg Dragonfly Cobalt) and they sound even better. And then start stepping up - bigger DAC (I currently use an IFI Signature DAC and an iBasso SB17 balanced cable) and they sound amazing. But I know that if I stepped up even more - to a desktop amp, for example - my Stellia would respond perfectly and create even better sound. So all the way across the range you can be perfectly happy and rightly so. BUT the one caveat is that once you step up, it is difficult to step down. And now when I bring them to a coffee shop and use my Dragonfly Cobalt, I miss the sound of my iFI Signature (but what a mess to try to set up with all the cables when you're in Starbucks)... So be careful what you wish for, especially as these things are pretty portable, but your lovely $$$$ vacuum desktop amp will not be...

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #3,850 of 4,499
... be careful what you wish for, especially as these things are pretty portable, but your lovely $$$$ vacuum desktop amp will not be...
No doubt. Back in the early 2000s when I used the HD600s and Ety 4Ts, it was always big decision. Both my headphone amps were portable, per se. The big one had a case to hold it and had a 6 D batteries to power it on the go. It even pocket for a portable CD player (later an MP3 player). I had a regular power brick for at home. The 4Ts had a small amp that run off of 4 AAA batteries. It could also run off USB power (micro I think). I use 4T setup at sports games or public transportation when a longer ride. Unpacking/packing the wires wasn't something I wanted to deal with for short trips. Thus, once Bluetooth IEMs got halfway decent, I switch to those. I did use the 4Ts on air flights before they allowed Bluetooth devices during flights. The 4Ts are still a great set of IEMs; I still enjoy them a lot. Thus, if I did get a desktop setup, I would still use the BTR5 for non-desktop use. In fact, I tried it out today with the Stellia while vacuuming the apartment. It was also a way to test to microphonics on the cable. And where I live, it's too dangerous to take the Stellia out and about. People get robbed or killed within blocks where I live. I live in a significant city that had about 332 homicides last year. Thus, cheap headsets and don't wear anything that looks valuable. Heck, my expensive smartwatch had a different TPU case makes it look like some generic and cheap watch.

I'm not one of those who has to have vacuum tubes. Since I'm into guitars and trying to learn to play, I'm familiar with the tube vs solid state. I own both solid-state and tube amps. For me, at the end of the day, who cares as long as it sounds good to me. Unfortunately, this hobby/interest, like guitars, is kind of difficult to go around the corner try stuff out. Thus, we tend to have to rely on reviews by others and try to judge if what they say matches what we are looking for.

One thing I've been able to manage to do, not to tone chase--audio listen and guitars. I still do suffer to some degree from GAS (gear acquiring syndrome). Thus, can't play guitar very well, but have four guitars, three amps, three wireless systems, tools, one speaker cabinet.

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #3,851 of 4,499

I've used the Stellia with a variety of DAC and amplifiers, and I've found them to pair brilliantly with a Hugo TT 2. They sounded (decently) good from sources such as the iFi Pro iDSD, the Chord Hugo 2, and a Hiby R6 2020, but the Hugo TT 2 took the Stellia to a whole new level, as the saying goes.

I'm currently awaiting available stock for the Stellia, as I was impressed enough with my various auditions to decide on taking the plunge. Sadly, this headphone appears to be out of stock, at least in terms of the local distribution chain. Hopefully, new units will arrive soon. :)

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #3,852 of 4,499
I've used the Stellia with a variety of DAC and amplifiers, and I've found them to pair brilliantly with a Hugo TT 2. They sounded (decently) good from sources such as the iFi Pro iDSD, the Chord Hugo 2, and a Hiby R6 2020, but the Hugo TT 2 took the Stellia to a whole new level, as the saying goes.

I'm currently awaiting available stock for the Stellia, as I was impressed enough with my various auditions to decide on taking the plunge. Sadly, this headphone appears to be out of stock, at least in terms of the local distribution chain. Hopefully, new units will arrive soon. :)
Are you in Singapore? I think i literally bought the last pair from Stereo at Plaza Sing (several months ago), but recently saw a pair at Zeppelin (Sim Lim). You might want to call them and check. Where did you find the Hugo TT 2 locally?

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #3,853 of 4,499
Are you in Singapore? I think i literally bought the last pair from Stereo at Plaza Sing (several months ago), but recently saw a pair at Zeppelin (Sim Lim). You might want to call them and check. Where did you find the Hugo TT 2 locally?
Hey there, yes, I'm located in Singapore. Nice to meet you! 👋

I did check in with the folks at Zeppelin about 2 weeks ago; they mentioned that they were out of stock at that juncture. It's the same situation over at Stereo, sadly. Fingers crossed, they'll be back in stock soon!

I purchased my Hugo TT 2 at Stereo. AV One (at Adelphi) also carries Chord products; in fact, I think they are the local distributor for the brand. :)

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #3,854 of 4,499
Hey there, yes, I'm located in Singapore. Nice to meet you! 👋

I did check in with the folks at Zeppelin about 2 weeks ago; they mentioned that they were out of stock at that juncture. It's the same situation over at Stereo, sadly. Fingers crossed, they'll be back in stock soon!

I purchased my Hugo TT 2 at Stereo. AV One (at Adelphi) also carries Chord products; in fact, I think they are the local distributor for the brand. :)
Good luck with your search! Well worth the wait…

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #3,855 of 4,499
Yes, the Stellia do look and feel like luxury, they are superbly built and finished. Even my wife commented on their luxury and thought they were much more expensive than they are! That they sound superb too, is the cherry on the icing on the cake!

Agree with @AudioDuck. Mine are driven by the Chord TT DAC/Amp and the pairing is extremely detailed, clear and clean to the point where I am considering a warmer amp to dial this down a little.

Although the Stellia scale beautifully with high end amps, they also bring out the best of more reasonably priced amps and DAPs.

Hope you manage to grab a pair one day...
I'm now considering the TT2, I know I've only just bought the Mojo 2 but I'm impressed with the Chord sound. I also have a Focal Arche which I'm not over the moon about sound wise. Do you think the TT2 is that much better than say the Mojo? I know there is a price difference but that's what happens with Hifi.
I guess I could sell the Focal Arche and the two Mojo's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back