Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 8, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2,957 of 4,488
Is there a reason to use MQA on a stationary source? I thought MQA used compression to sidestep bandwidth issues for streaming music? With a landline connection, isn't bandwidth less of an issue?

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,958 of 4,488
Hey folks,

Here is my current system setup. Though I like it a lot, but would like to know which part can be upgraded to make Stellia sound even better!

Source: Ipad (Apple Music/Tidal)
-> USB type c to type b cable
-> Topping D90
-> XLR cable
-> Topping A90
-> Stellia

Thanks!

Nothing other than EQing if you wanted to adjust the sound. It's a transparent system and the Stellias sound how they, well, sound in a transparent system like that and as you have heard, they sound great. There is no magic cable, no magic DAC. All that crap people say about cables and DACs and other stuff is pure placebo.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #2,959 of 4,488
It does seem upon first look that your assessment would be correct but once I tried it ( MQA on node2i ) I was impressed but maybe I’m just easy.
My high res 24 / 192 and DSD library is very limited at this time and I have no comparable files to do a A / B comparison maybe someone with a more extensive library of high res and DSD can chime in.

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #2,960 of 4,488
Nothing other than EQing if you wanted to adjust the sound. It's a transparent system and the Stellias sound how they, well, sound in a transparent system like that and as you have heard, they sound great. There is no magic cable, no magic DAC. All that crap people say about cables and DACs and other stuff is pure placebo.
... says the new headfier.

If you ask me @Ryan Cao, take a look at some good occ silver cables.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2,961 of 4,488
Just got my Stellia. Love it, but would like to try it on with some tube amps. Do you have any good recommendations? Thanks!
Ifi pro ican is worth a look a very powerful, SS, Tube and hybrid with separate circuits for each in one amp it's very versatile and the x bass is well implemented I find it very impressive on the Stellia. The cavinilli liquid platinum is also very nice hybrid and very reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #2,962 of 4,488
Just got my Stellia. Love it, but would like to try it on with some tube amps. Do you have any good recommendations? Thanks!
I listen to my Stellias mainly on Auris Euterpe with Mullard tubes and it's fantastic combination. I replaced the original ecc81 tube with a Mullard ecc82 to bring the gain lower for the easy to drive Stellias and I am really enjoying the sound these reproduce.

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #2,963 of 4,488
Ifi pro ican is worth a look very powerful, SS, Tube and hybrid with separate circuits for each in one amp it's very versatile, the cavinilli liquid platinum is also very nice hybrid and very reasonably priced.
ICan is great! You won't get any simmilar amp for simmiar price.

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #2,964 of 4,488
Thank you folks for the recommendations!

Since I have Stellia and HD800s, I'm looking for a tube amp that works well with both for them. So far my research points to Feliks Euforia. If you have experience with this amp, much appreciated to share your feeling :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #2,965 of 4,488
ICan is great! You won't get any simmilar amp for simmiar price.
I agree and the x bass feature is quite impressive, well implemented especially on the Stellia, at least to me anyway, I’m thinking of putting some different tubes into the I can to see if I can refine the tube sound some. I find it nice and convenient to have a SS, Tube and hybrid of this quality in one small unit for my quiet listening zone.
‘I also find the Liquid Platinum with up graded tubes quite nice with the Stellia as well especially at it’s price point, going to have a cap upgrade done on it soon.
‘the Stellia continue to improve and impress me, one cannot unhear the Stellia once you have spent some time listening to them, no matter the volume everything stays the same, the openness reminds me of the Clear.
‘the only negative I have is long listening session comfort it seems the pads compress enough for my ears to contact the screens after a few hours of straight listening.

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #2,966 of 4,488
I agree and the x bass feature is quite impressive, well implemented especially on the Stellia, at least to me anyway, I’m thinking of putting some different tubes into the I can to see if I can refine the tube sound some. I find it nice and convenient to have a SS, Tube and hybrid of this quality in one small unit for my quiet listening zone.
‘I also find the Liquid Platinum with up graded tubes quite nice with the Stellia as well especially at it’s price point, going to have a cap upgrade done on it soon.
‘the Stellia continue to improve and impress me, one cannot unhear the Stellia once you have spent some time listening to them, no matter the volume everything stays the same, the openness reminds me of the Clear.
‘the only negative I have is long listening session comfort it seems the pads compress enough for my ears to contact the screens after a few hours of straight listening.
Similar feeling for me. The pads are a bit too warm for my ears. Also maybe it will be more comfortable if the pads are slightly larger...

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #2,968 of 4,488
Thank you folks for the recommendations!

Since I have Stellia and HD800s, I'm looking for a tube amp that works well with both for them. So far my research points to Feliks Euforia. If you have experience with this amp, much appreciated to share your feeling :)

I had the Euphoria Anniversary for a year. Cracking amp and works perfectly with the Stellias. Only sold it a I needed a balanced output and the flexibility of the Manley. Ideal for tube rolling although I never bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back