Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 19, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #2,792 of 4,488
The exact words you too would employ when someone sends you 'NewFantasia' upgrade cables for Focal Stellia or 64A Noir. πŸ™‚πŸ˜›

Trust me my friend you dont want to cheap on that cable! its as important as the headphones them self's

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #2,795 of 4,488
What absolute lunacy.
The kimber Kable makes a big difference, but I got it for $150. The Stellia is fine with the stock cables. It doesn’t need better ones. Very well done cans.

Sep 20, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #2,796 of 4,488
The exact words you too would employ when someone sends you 'NewFantasia' upgrade cables for Focal Stellia or 64A Noir. πŸ™‚πŸ˜›

I got a $20 New Fantasia cable 5 months back when I got my Elear since the stock cable is ridiculous in length. It sounded fine. When my Stellia arrived at the start of August, I tried it out since I don't like the Stellia cable in terms of stiffness and microphonics and it's a bit too short. It *seemed* to sound a touch different/worse than the stock cable as I went back to the stock one but definitely not anything night and day and it may have been all placebo, something many at this website in particular refuse to believe exists. Since I felt it may have been a bit worse, I went back to the stock cable and then eventually ordered an Audio Sensibility (brand here in Canada) balanced cable as I figured I may as well use the balanced out connection on my amp and like wanting to use the New Fantasia one, it was to replace the stiffness of the stock and decrease microphonics which it does to a degree, as well as be shorter given the stock balanced cable is too long. It was not because I expected some big change in sound which, surprise surprise, doesn't exist. It cost more than I wanted to spend, think it was $180 CDN after a coupon, but at the same time, was not outrageous like options out there, seems to be built well, and I wanted to buy from a Canadian company for ease of shipping and speed which means slim pickings given this country is so bad for commerce and options.

The Audio Sensibility cable *seems* like it has an ever so slightly improved sound compared to stock but again, this may and probably is just placebo and my brain's bias. I'd have to double blind them to know and have someone switching them back and forth as fast as possible, make sure the sound is volume matched (something many at this website refuse to grasp exists when they make comments on comparisons) given even a short time can change one's audio memory and a small difference in volume can influence impressions. Even if it actually might be there, it's minor. What I do know is in my opinion, this belief some have that cables make this monster difference is absolute lunacy. It seems like more in this hobby are finally figuring that out and moving away from wasting many hundreds or even thousands(!) on a freaking headphone cable but you still have some of the diehards that will keep saying crazy stuff like you need a zillion dollar cable, ignoring the wiring everywhere else in the chain (specifically the wire inside the cup connecting the actual drivers) is cheap and not being replaced when the headphone cable is being replaced.

Many have shown with science, testing, and logic that the headphone cable stuff is mainly down to placebo (or if there are any changes, they're very minor) unless it is poorly made (rare) but some refuse to accept that and claim there is some big difference without any actual verified evidence to support it other than it's what they claim. There are also some people out there that claim they see the image of Jesus and other historical figures in water stains so you can't always go by what someone claims they see, hear or feel and yes, that includes me. I know there are some cable believers that might read this and claim I am wrong or crazy and stick to their beliefs. Fine by me, and I will keep thinking they are simply unable to accept their brain can play tricks on them and they've bought into a bit of snake oil. All the power to them though as I really don't care if they choose to believe that and will keep thinking they need to spend many hundreds on a cable.

One thing I always find curious from these expensive cable makers that make wild claims is they never have any frequency response graphs to support it. A company that claims their cable will "increase the bass, make the highs sing, etc" would be able to show that in measurements given that's what sound mainly is. If there was some big difference like they claim, it's definitely show up in measurements.

Regarding the Stellia, the stock cable is fine and you should only replace it if you:

-don't like the look
-don't like the stiffness
-want less microphonics
-want a different length

Wanting to replace it because you think the sound is going to go to some next level is silly. Perhaps the new cable may indeed improve or change the sound but again, if it somehow does, it's going to be minor.

All of the above said, I'd say go for a different cable than the low cost New Fantasia or similar priced just for peace of mind. Doesn't mean to go drop many hundreds or even more crazy, like that $1600+ one out there mentioned a few pages ago (a cable that costs over half as much as the Stellia and costs more than most headphones on the market? Give me a break) but if by some chance my findings weren't placebo, the New Fantasia cable would then be a bit lower quality than stock and is making the sound slightly worse.

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,797 of 4,488
I got a $20 New Fantasia cable 5 months back when I got my Elear since the stock cable is ridiculous in length. It sounded fine. When my Stellia arrived at the start of August, I tried it out since I don't like the Stellia cable in terms of stiffness and microphonics and it's a bit too short. It *seemed* to sound a touch different/worse than the stock cable as I went back to the stock one but definitely not anything night and day and it may have been all placebo, something many at this website in particular refuse to believe exists. Since I felt it may have been a bit worse, I went back to the stock cable and then eventually ordered an Audio Sensibility (brand here in Canada) balanced cable as I figured I may as well use the balanced out connection on my amp and like wanting to use the New Fantasia one, it was to replace the stiffness of the stock and decrease microphonics which it does to a degree, as well as be shorter given the stock balanced cable is too long. It was not because I expected some big change in sound which, surprise surprise, doesn't exist. It cost more than I wanted to spend, think it was $180 CDN after a coupon, but at the same time, was not outrageous like options out there, seems to be built well, and I wanted to buy from a Canadian company for ease of shipping and speed which means slim pickings given this country is so bad for commerce and options.

The Audio Sensibility cable *seems* like it has an ever so slightly improved sound compared to stock but again, this may and probably is just placebo and my brain's bias. I'd have to double blind them to know and have someone switching them back and forth as fast as possible, make sure the sound is volume matched (something many at this website refuse to grasp exists when they make comments on comparisons) given even a short time can change one's audio memory and a small difference in volume can influence impressions. Even if it actually might be there, it's minor. What I do know is in my opinion, this belief some have that cables make this monster difference is absolute lunacy. It seems like more in this hobby are finally figuring that out and moving away from wasting many hundreds or even thousands(!) on a freaking headphone cable but you still have some of the diehards that will keep saying crazy stuff like you need a zillion dollar cable, ignoring the wiring everywhere else in the chain (specifically the wire inside the cup connecting the actual drivers) is cheap and not being replaced when the headphone cable is being replaced.

Many have shown with science, testing, and logic that the headphone cable stuff is mainly down to placebo (or if there are any changes, they're very minor) unless it is poorly made (rare) but some refuse to accept that and claim there is some big difference without any actual verified evidence to support it other than it's what they claim. There are also some people out there that claim they see the image of Jesus and other historical figures in water stains so you can't always go by what someone claims they see, hear or feel and yes, that includes me. I know there are some cable believers that might read this and claim I am wrong or crazy and stick to their beliefs. Fine by me, and I will keep thinking they are simply unable to accept their brain can play tricks on them and they've bought into a bit of snake oil. All the power to them though as I really don't care if they choose to believe that and will keep thinking they need to spend many hundreds on a cable.

One thing I always find curious from these expensive cable makers that make wild claims is they never have any frequency response graphs to support it. A company that claims their cable will "increase the bass, make the highs sing, etc" would be able to show that in measurements given that's what sound mainly is. If there was some big difference like they claim, it's definitely show up in measurements.

Regarding the Stellia, the stock cable is fine and you should only replace it if you:

-don't like the look
-want less microphonics
-want a different length

Wanting to replace it because you think the sound is going to go to some next level is silly. Perhaps the new cable may indeed improve or change the sound but again, if it somehow does, it's going to be minor.

All of the above said, I'd say go for a different cable than the low cost New Fantasia or similar priced just for peace of mind. Doesn't mean to go drop many hundreds or even more crazy, like that $1600+ one out there mentioned a few pages ago (a cable that costs over half as much as the Stellia and costs more than most headphones on the market? Give me a break) but if by some chance my findings weren't placebo, the New Fantasia cable would then be a bit lower quality than stock and is making the sound slightly worse.

Forbidden words in Head-fi - Science, testing, logic

You've broken a taboo by using all three words.

@loregnum, you're now forever banned from this thread.........

Headfi is like Hogwarts. Stop trying to bring reason/logic into the world of imagination.... pfffffffff

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #2,798 of 4,488

-don't like the look
-want less microphonics
-want a different length

Thank you for such an informative response. Very helpful.

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #2,800 of 4,488
New Stellia owner here - can anyone recommend dac/amp pairings? Currently using a Magni/Modi, has anyone A/B a different stack and found an appreciable difference?
I had magni modi and found the warmth and color of the Stellia lacking. The ifi xdsd is better pairing in my opinion and it’s portable. Now I use mytek Brooklyn bridge.

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #2,801 of 4,488
Forbidden words in Head-fi - Science, testing, logic

You've broken a taboo by using all three words.

@loregnum, you're now forever banned from this thread.........

Headfi is like Hogwarts. Stop trying to bring reason/logic into the world of imagination.... pfffffffff

I choked on my coffee and had to post.
If there is an award for winning on the internet, you sir deserve it *hahah*.

Might if I quote that in my sig? :)

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2,802 of 4,488
I had magni modi and found the warmth and color of the Stellia lacking. The ifi xdsd is better pairing in my opinion and it’s portable. Now I use mytek Brooklyn bridge.

That's surprising, I have a Loki in-between the Magni/Modi and sometimes actually tone the bass down on the Stellia.

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #2,803 of 4,488
I choked on my coffee and had to post.
If there is an award for winning on the internet, you sir deserve it *hahah*.

Might if I quote that in my sig? :)

All yours.... 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back