Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 3, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #2,386 of 4,499
Spent some time this afternoon testing the Stellia between the Hugo 2, Woo Audio WA8 and iFi Micro BL. In short, they were all amazing but my take is that they perform in line with their respective price point. In Australia that is $3800, $2800 and $800 respectively. Having tested most other portable/transportable options at these price points, I’d say that these 3 are the only real contenders.
  • Hugo remains a standout to me. Clean, clear dynamic sound with filters to roll off the slightest of peaks as needed. Easily the most dynamic here and appropriate for office use for me.
  • WA8 was a surprise and fits perfectly in the middle. The warmth of the tubes and slightly less capable DAC lose a little detail to the Hugo. I actually think this would be a really nice evening option for hotel stays for work and so forth.
In a perfect world I’d likely buy both for different times, though they’re quite pricey to say the least.
  • iFi Micro BL represents incredible value for money, as does the HipDAC I owned prior. Whatever issue I had last time I tested this was gone. Loads of power, dynamic punchy sound. Bass + bloats bass a bit more than I’d like, though it is track dependent. Generally this device just makes you smile and it’s one of the most fun devices here. The sound however is a little more commercial than the others, which I think would appeal to the widest audience.
Most of my listening is at work during the day, so the Stellia / Hugo 2 combo works best for me. If I come across some extra funds however, WA8 would be a welcome addition. Those on a tighter budget shouldn’t hesitate on the iFi Micro BL though.

All fantastic devices, but my overall vote goes to the Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #2,387 of 4,499
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #2,388 of 4,499
Spent some time this afternoon testing the Stellia between the Hugo 2, Woo Audio WA8 and iFi Micro BL. In short, they were all amazing but my take is that they perform in line with their respective price point. In Australia that is $3800, $2800 and $800 respectively. Having tested most other portable/transportable options at these price points, I’d say that these 3 are the only real contenders.
  • Hugo remains a standout to me. Clean, clear dynamic sound with filters to roll off the slightest of peaks as needed. Easily the most dynamic here and appropriate for office use for me.
  • WA8 was a surprise and fits perfectly in the middle. The warmth of the tubes and slightly less capable DAC lose a little detail to the Hugo. I actually think this would be a really nice evening option for hotel stays for work and so forth.
In a perfect world I’d likely buy both for different times, though they’re quite pricey to say the least.
  • iFi Micro BL represents incredible value for money, as does the HipDAC I owned prior. Whatever issue I had last time I tested this was gone. Loads of power, dynamic punchy sound. Bass + bloats bass a bit more than I’d like, though it is track dependent. Generally this device just makes you smile and it’s one of the most fun devices here. The sound however is a little more commercial than the others, which I think would appeal to the widest audience.
Most of my listening is at work during the day, so the Stellia / Hugo 2 combo works best for me. If I come across some extra funds however, WA8 would be a welcome addition. Those on a tighter budget shouldn’t hesitate on the iFi Micro BL though.

All fantastic devices, but my overall vote goes to the Hugo 2.

Could someone recommend a portable/transportable tube/hybrid amp/DAC that was released/upgraded within the last two years? WA8 is too old and too short on battery hours.

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #2,390 of 4,499
I am hoping to buy the Stellia in the next week or so and was wondering what I should use as DAC/DAP/AMP

I was thinking of buying an SP1000m just for the simple set up and portability. If you have any other suggestions I wasn't wanting to spend much more than about $3,000 AUD

Thanks for the help

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #2,391 of 4,499
I am hoping to buy the Stellia in the next week or so and was wondering what I should use as DAC/DAP/AMP

I was thinking of buying an SP1000m just for the simple set up and portability. If you have any other suggestions I wasn't wanting to spend much more than about $3,000 AUD

Thanks for the help

I am using the FiiO M15 with my Stellia and I am very happy with the combination.

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #2,392 of 4,499
Anyone using Stellia with an iBasso dx220 (+amp8)? Is that a decent pairing? Just wanna check before ordering a shorter cable with 4.4mm plug. Otherwise I have to move my matrix and gsx mini to work too..

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #2,393 of 4,499

Thanks for the help

{RME ADI-DAC (for home) + FiiO M15/M11Pro (portable)} might be a better investment than a $2000 DAP/DAC/Amp, I guess. The $900 RME can take care of all your present and future headphones and IEMs with its ToTL value; and the $1300 M15 or $600 M11Pro provide as much as 95% value of most DAPs priced a lot higher than themselves. It's highly likely that one will end up using Stellia indoors more often than they do outdoors.

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,396 of 4,499
Justin, I’ve been through this recently.

I use my Stellia at work and I am going with the Hugo 2 as I can easily transport it between home and work, hotels and so forth. I don’t need a fully portable setup or an interface, as I will always be on my phone or laptop.

I would consider a DAP if I was catching public transport or flying regularly as the interface and DAC/AMP combination would be handy in one device. If that’s the case for you, the SP1000M from A2A at $1999 from $3499 right now is a great buy.

I think the thing to keep in mind here is what you need on the go or at work. Everyone’s circumstance would be different. I’d never try to use a Hugo 2 on the train and bus, but on my desk with my phone and laptop interface for Tidal it’s perfect.

For me I wanted the closest possible sound quality to a desktop setup. This is important as not all DAP or portable solutions can replicate this. I’m running the RME ADI-2 at home, paired with the Audio GD D28.38. The Hugo 2 comes bloody close to replicating that sound. The SP2000 ($4999 AUD) also come very close. The SP1000M is next closest but the difference is larger. SR15/25 don’t even come close.

I’ve found that the more you spend on DAP’s, the more they have the potential to replicate a full desktop stack in sound quality, body, full sound. Again, Hugo and the TOTL A&K come really close, and it’s pairs off more and more from there. I think the SP1000M is great value and I’d certainly consider it myself if I needed ultimate portability.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #2,397 of 4,499

Thanks for the help

If I am reading this right, you want to make the most of the A2A sales. Let me say jump on it quickly. Stellia and SP1000M. Stock is low - I know because I’ve been in there almost daily and I bought my Stellia and Utopia in this sale. My friend went to buy Stellia Friday and they were getting low on stock.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #2,400 of 4,499
Yup I’d say you need to listen to them.

I haven't tried the M15 as I wasn’t pursuing DAP’s, see above, but I’m told it’s great. Do a comparison M15 to SP1000M and it might be worth the additional $400 AUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back