Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 5, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #2,416 of 4,499
Most likely. Australian dollars.
Gotcha, that makes since. We're discussing the same DAP. I thought I went straight to the top so I was curious if I missed something.

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #2,418 of 4,499
Yes I was referring to the TOTL A&K. It’s very good, but it’s not as good as Hugo 2. I’m talking pure SQ here. I made some comments earlier today regarding the topic overall. When it comes to portability, A&K has the Hugo 2 beat for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #2,419 of 4,499
As for Stellia or Utopia, I think it depends on what else you have. I bought both but I’m only adding Empyrean to my setup. Work (Stellia - all purpose), Utopia (home - ying) and Empyrean (home - yang). I specifically wanted opposites for my home choices.

In the 50+ headphones I’ve tested back to back this past 3-4 months, if I was to only own one headphone, it’d be Stellia or Arya. They’re both so versatile and don’t do anything ‘bad’.

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #2,420 of 4,499
Thanks for the advice I intend on going on on Tuesday :)

Just trying to decide if I go with sp1000m as well or not
I have the SP1000M and the pairing with Stellia is sublime.I prefer it to many $2000 dac/amps i auditioned and the dac portion of this dap i find superior to my Arche in terms of detail/transparency.You don't even need to buy a new cable,just get a 2.5mm adapter for the stock balanced cable and you have the ultimate portable set up.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,421 of 4,499
I have the SP1000M and the pairing with Stellia is sublime.I prefer it to many $2000 dac/amps i auditioned and the dac portion of this dap i fint superior to my Arche in terms of detail/transparency.You don't even need to buy a new cable,just get a 2.5mm adapter for the stock balanced cable and you have the ultimate portable set up.
I'm not sure I would call carrying a thick 10 ft XLR cable around "portable". :) XLR to 2.5mm, don't think I've ever seen an adapter like that, where can you get those?

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #2,422 of 4,499
I'm not sure I would call carrying a thick 10 ft XLR cable around "portable". :) XLR to 2.5mm, don't think I've ever seen an adapter like that, where can you get those?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyslab-Bal...replacementKeywords=to+2.5mm+adapter&sr=8-163

Yea,the main stock cable is too long but it's still portable if you're in the house,just put it around your neck and be careful not to stumble and strangle yourself :)
Aftermarket of course is the solution if you are willing to spend more money and for the Stellia i would go with copper not silver.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,423 of 4,499
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #2,424 of 4,499
Thanks for the advice I intend on going on on Tuesday :)

Just trying to decide if I go with sp1000m as well or not
If you want a DAP that is remarkably low priced at the moment (at JABEN) and probably sold out in the near future and you are interested in TOTL sound quality and don't have a problem with only 4-5 hours battery life and no streaming then this exotic and beautifully looking DAP might be in your budget :wink:
Look here in the dedicated thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/999...-sd-µsd-storage.687944/page-391#post-15419428

And this is @Hawaiibadboy comparing the Calyx M against the Cayin N8

I compared it against LPG, LPGT, Cowon Plenum L, AK 380, AK SP1000, DTR1. Well, I just bought a second (spare) unit of the Calyx M, because best sound quality is my prior goal. No other DAP until now could reproduce such a lifelike sound. Of course I haven't heard all the TOTL DAPs out there but for this incredible price that DAP is available at the moment, I think it´s a no brainer. But of course it depends, as said above, what needs you have (streaming etc.)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2,425 of 4,499
Confirmed - ifi iDSD BL is awesome. As is the iCan Pro :L3000:
Just of curiosity: With the stellia‘s (and many other headphones) i use the pre-Project s2 DAC with the graham Slee solo ulde amp as my desktop solutio. Quite happy, but need something more portable (in doors, mainly) as Tidal do not support the zx2 anymore;-(. So would the ifi micro idsd BL do the trick? (Long time ago i used the Sony pha1)
Many thanks for your input

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2,426 of 4,499
Just of curiosity: With the stellia‘s (and many other headphones) i use the pre-Project s2 DAC with the graham Slee solo ulde amp as my desktop solutio. Quite happy, but need something more portable (in doors, mainly) as Tidal do not support the zx2 anymore;-(. So would the ifi micro idsd BL do the trick? (Long time ago i used the Sony pha1)
Many thanks for your input

If portable means ... bringing the idsd BL to another room or on a trip to a hotel- yes, definitely. If portable means having it with you while walking around...well, if you like fanny bags, that would work. Otherwise no.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,427 of 4,499
If portable means ... bringing the idsd BL to another room or on a trip to a hotel- yes, definitely. If portable means having it with you while walking around...well, if you like fanny bags, that would work. Otherwise no.
Thanks :) Your interpretation of portable is the same as mine:beerchug: just wish to bring good sound along for example on the terrace...Thought if I wish to listen to Tidal this could be fine with ifi micro, Stellia and an iphone, in stead of investing in a new expensive DAP to replace zx2

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #2,428 of 4,499
My Chord Hugo TT2 order has been officially updated to a Chord Dave in silver. The Focal Stellia is still on the way. For headphone Nirvana, I might as well start saving up for a Chord M Scaler and a nice powerful headphone amp. Need more power for those Planar Magnetics 🎧.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #2,430 of 4,499
For which Planar Magnetics?

Not entirely sure and I’m not in a rush. HiFi Man Susvara, Dan Clark Audio Ether 2, Meze Empyream, Audeze LCD4, all flagship options on the table. I just want one good planar magnetic open-back. Then I’ll also grab the Focal Utopia 2 headphones whenever they happen to come out. The Focal Stellia should hold me over until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back