Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #241 of 4,509
Thanks for the suggestion but that's a 4.4mm, not 2.5mm.
Also, I would ideally like to get rid of the bulk of the 4pin ... so any suggestions for cable makers who customize stock cables is welcome. thanks again

Mm..contact PlusSound for re-termination. I vaguely recall a post (about two years ago) about PlusSound doing modification (shortening) of the ridiculously long Focal Utopia stock cable.

Of all the headphones manufacturers that I’ve come across, the only one who did it right from the onset was Oppo (the PM series). Two stock cables: the long, thicker one with 6.3 for desktop listening and a short, thinner one with 3.5 for portable listening and a handsome, denim carrying case (you could fit an Astell dap). You could tell that they put a lot of thought to their products.

Be aware though that when the time comes when you want to unload your HP, some buyers prefer the complete set, including stock cables.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #242 of 4,509
Thanks for the reply. I meant the 4pin XLR connector which the Stellia stock balanced cable has.
The Stellia comes with one balanced cable which has a 4pin XLR connector not ideal for portable use (too bulky to use with an adapter) ... with an AK player.
So I am looking for a cable maker who can modify the 4pin XLR to a 2.5mm balanced (and shorten the cable ... which is the easier part :) ). Thanks

Yeah, it was not a direct answer to what you want but still wanted to suggest it. I use it with my cables and it is pretty practical. Maybe you can modify one of the cables with such a connector and be able to use it for all sockets.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #243 of 4,509
Mm......true but think of the one year or so that you have lost and can’t get back. My philosophy: at my age (and deteriorating hearing), time is now more important than money. I figure I still have enough productive years to offset/earn/recoup the first adopter’s tax of TOTL headfi gear.

Having said that, there’s always pre-owned. I am quite surprised by the number of headfiers selling their mint TOTL headphones, often after only a few weeks of ownership. Buyer’s remorse? Their misfortune, our gain.
It's at the point that used Utopia prices are dropping so fast < $2,000 that they might actually be the best used deals in the entire Focal lineup.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #244 of 4,509
Speaking of cables and adapters, some of us Utopia owners already have good aftermarket cables. Perhaps there is a way for cable manufacturers to make a custom LEMO to 3.5mm adapter for the headphone end of the cable (female 2-pin LEMO to male 3.5mm) so that we can use the Utopia cables with the Stellia.

Similar adapters already exist on the market, such as this one (it’s a 3 pin LEMO to 3.5mm): https://www.gothamsound.com/product/lemo-3-pin-35mm-adapter-0

Do you think this is possible?

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #245 of 4,509
Mm..contact PlusSound for re-termination. I vaguely recall a post (about two years ago) about PlusSound doing modification (shortening) of the ridiculously long Focal Utopia stock cable.

Of all the headphones manufacturers that I’ve come across, the only one who did it right from the onset was Oppo (the PM series). Two stock cables: the long, thicker one with 6.3 for desktop listening and a short, thinner one with 3.5 for portable listening and a handsome, denim carrying case (you could fit an Astell dap). You could tell that they put a lot of thought to their products.

Be aware though that when the time comes when you want to unload your HP, some buyers prefer the complete set, including stock cables.

I reached out to Plussound and they confirmed that they are happy to shorten the stock cable and re-terminate it ( in my case i asked for the 4.4mm).

Thanks

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #248 of 4,509
Speaking of cables and adapters, some of us Utopia owners already have good aftermarket cables. Perhaps there is a way for cable manufacturers to make a custom LEMO to 3.5mm adapter for the headphone end of the cable (female 2-pin LEMO to male 3.5mm) so that we can use the Utopia cables with the Stellia.

Similar adapters already exist on the market, such as this one (it’s a 3 pin LEMO to 3.5mm): https://www.gothamsound.com/product/lemo-3-pin-35mm-adapter-0

Do you think this is possible?

Mm...I am using Double Helix (DHC) ultrashort adaptor (headphone side) to fit my Nordost Heimdall 2 cable that I got for the Utopia ( adaptor is Lemo female (Utopia) to the Sony MDR Z1R male ). It even locks into place, just like the Sony stock cable. I am almost sure that DHC can create the perfect adaptor for the Stellia to fit various third party cables.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #250 of 4,509
Mm...I am using Double Helix (DHC) ultrashort adaptor (headphone side) to fit my Nordost Heimdall 2 cable that I got for the Utopia ( adaptor is Lemo female (Utopia) to the Sony MDR Z1R male ). It even locks into place, just like the Sony stock cable. I am almost sure that DHC can create the perfect adaptor for the Stellia to fit various third party cables.

Cool, so it’s possible.

Can you upload a photo of the adapter? Thanks

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #251 of 4,509
540C5569-C761-47E1-8DCE-FB87BF46D5C7.jpeg 9AB6F2F8-B08D-4BFC-8B04-F80B3EB690F5.jpeg 6E59E389-A8F5-4B50-A219-9B1C9E73AB86.jpeg B7DF1E51-C135-4150-8A64-A87E34DB9F66.jpeg It appears my post was deleted, Head-Fi has become very strict with members of the trade giving their opinion on products. I took that in mind while doing my long write up, yet my post has been deleted. It’s a shame really and I’m voicing it openly because it’s not fair for the community of audio lovers. I spent a solid 20 mins typing out a very worthy and honest impression that nobody will ever appreciate.

I’m not using Head-Fi as a means to make sales, but rather as I have always, to give my opinion on how products sound and compare to others on the market. I’d rather have my title taken off and enjoy this forum as a hobbyist.

In any case, beautiful headphones surpassing my expectations aesthetically, and they sound wonderful and are super comfortable. Here’s some eye candy!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #252 of 4,509
It appears my post was deleted, Head-Fi has become very strict with members of the trade giving their opinion on products. I took that in mind while doing my long write up, yet my post has been deleted. It’s a shame really and I’m voicing it openly because it’s not fair for the community of audio lovers. I spent a solid 20 mins typing out a very worthy and honest impression that nobody will ever appreciate.

I’m not using Head-Fi as a means to make sales, but rather as I have always, to give my opinion on how products sound and compare to others on the market. I’d rather have my title taken off and enjoy this forum as a hobbyist.

In any case, beautiful headphones surpassing my expectations aesthetically, and they sound wonderful and are super comfortable. Here’s some eye candy!

thx for the info

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #253 of 4,509
Anyone the uk who’s interested in taking the plunge I’ve just bought a pair of Stellia at the Bristol hifi show as first they sound great and second they’re sugaring the RRP pill with a 15% show discount :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back