Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #226 of 4,499
Don't worry, Beagle,
I auditioned and bought a Stellia (and an Arya also) this afternoon,
I would have never done so if it had too much bass or was V-shaped (e.g. when I tested the Campfire Cascade in the spring 2018, I couldn't listen to it for more than something like 10 min..).
The bass of the Stellia feels fuller than that of the Utopia, the treble may be a bit less strong,
but for me it clearly remains a "neutral" headphone. There is no absolute definition nor scholarly agreement on what neutral maybe
(e.g. the scholarly disagreements re. HRTF corrections), I see neutrality as a band, area in which the Frequency Responses should fit.
(for comparison, I personally see the HD 800 as too bright to fit within the neutrality band, and the Ether C (non-flow) even further away with its excessive brightness;
on the other hand I see Audeze headphones as too dark to fit within neutrality, even if I enjoy their sound a lot).
In any case, voices are wonderful (typical Focal) with the Stellia, I don't feel the mids as being recessed.

Re. the varying opinions for the bass of the Elegia, there were several cases where the pad were not well fixed.
I find the Elegia definitively much better value for the SQ it achieves compared to the Stellia,
I can afford the Stellia, so I bought it, but if people are short with money, I recommend the Elegia.
Re. practical things, the Stellia seems safe re. the issue of the light grey tissue used in the headbands of the Elegia and Clear (and also the pads for the Clear),
they slowly become darker with usage, catching bodily dirt and looking dirty. For me this is the main drawback of the Elegia and of the Clear, a drawback which the Elear (dark by design) and Utopia (leather + dark) don't have.
(my lovely wife fixed this issue by knitting fabric around the headband of my Clear, and is doing this for my Elegia as well).
The Stellia has leather (and dark at that), so we can expect that this issue shouldn't arise.

My Stellia needs burn in, but I fear it will not catch up with the Utopia re. resolution and cleanliness of the sound,
and I strongly suspect that the standard (I am using the XLR in balanced mode) cable is holding its performance back,
I need to find a better cable. Suggestions are welcome...
In any case Focal produced for me with the Stellia the same "miracle" as with the Elegia:
at least at the very low volume levels at which I listen, it doesn't feel closed at all, but like an open headphone,
I was testing today the Arya which I also purchased, and while the Arya has definitively a larger soundstage, the Stellia was not ashamed and cold hold its ground re. soundstage, I mean it didn't feel to me like open vs closed.
By blocking the ambient noise (from my NAS or window when it is open) the Stellia allows me to listen at further lower volumes levels than the Utopia
(I try to listen at the lowest level possible to save my ears...).
BTW, I listen mainly to metal, and find the Stellia great for this. Nomax doesn't feel like this but I remember him writing that he listens at very loud levels, at 90 dB.

OK for global bass quantities, but for more precision I would like to say that I hear differences between the bass of the Elegia and that of the Elear though,
the Elear has a bass boost and less sub-bass, while the Elegia doesn't have a bass boost, yet has more sub-bass, i.e. its bass has a nicely flat FR, thus is neutral in the bass area unlike the Elear. I too find that the Elegia has much sub-bass than the Clear and Utopia (but for metal I still prefer the Utopia's bass to that of the Elegia because it is even faster...).

all the best,
bidn
I purchased the Elegia back in November. Would you consider Stellia worth the upgrade?

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #228 of 4,499
Wow! I love how they look! Very nice and not cheap and I think they cost such a price, without any cons.
For me such a thing as it is very important and useful for my work. I love technic with nice quality, for example just to play my favorite games ( if you want to know roulette online game ) If you can make money and love good quality, this thing for you!!! Have a nice day!

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #230 of 4,499
My question is: When are these going to get discounted to where they are priced below what you can get a Utopia for now?

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #231 of 4,499
My question is: When are these going to get discounted to where they are priced below what you can get a Utopia for now?
Usually when hype and sales slow down. If you wait a year or so, you can often get something much cheaper. Patience pays off.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #232 of 4,499
@bidn : Great review and comparisons. Thanks!

Re. practical things, the Stellia seems safe re. the issue of the light grey tissue used in the headbands of the Elegia and Clear (and also the pads for the Clear),
they slowly become darker with usage, catching bodily dirt and looking dirty. For me this is the main drawback of the Elegia and of the Clear, a drawback which the Elear (dark by design) and Utopia (leather + dark) don't have.
(my lovely wife fixed this issue by knitting fabric around the headband of my Clear, and is doing this for my Elegia as well).
The Stellia has leather (and dark at that), so we can expect that this issue shouldn't arise.

By the way, although it has already been mentioned on other Focal threads - those without lovely knitting wives can also buy hand woven wool headband covers, for example here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Woven...lear-Headphone-/254126561513?oid=252833263359
They may not be knit with as much love as bidn's wool covers, but they still offer some protection for the headband. Even though not really a necessity (leather + dark), I use them for my Utopias.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #233 of 4,499
I couldn't resist ... I pre-ordered a pair :L3000:

Any suggestions for good cable makers who also customize (in the US)? ... to turn the stock 4pin to a 2.5 balanced. Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #234 of 4,499
A very nice headphone to demo, though not sure if on my list to own ever for various reasons though perhaps not for the outside US & Europe equivalent after exchange.

Probably, subjectively & personally, the ONLY headphone from Focal which I actually enjoy listening to for any length of time though there are a few others which are nice enough.

For those who haven't seen this headphone in real yet & negatively commenting on how it looks, I would suggest doing so in REAL as it actually looks quite nice.

I also agree with several others it makes a nice change from the usual stock black or grey & no, I am not a fan for carbon fibre for various reasons though I tolerate it but that's just me...

Hope everyone has a great day !

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #235 of 4,499
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #237 of 4,499
Thanks for the suggestion but that's a 4.4mm, not 2.5mm.
Also, I would ideally like to get rid of the bulk of the 4pin ... so any suggestions for cable makers who customize stock cables is welcome. thanks again

Sorry mate !

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #238 of 4,499
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #239 of 4,499
Usually when hype and sales slow down. If you wait a year or so, you can often get something much cheaper. Patience pays off.

Mm......true but think of the one year or so that you have lost and can’t get back. My philosophy: at my age (and deteriorating hearing), time is now more important than money. I figure I still have enough productive years to offset/earn/recoup the first adopter’s tax of TOTL headfi gear.

Having said that, there’s always pre-owned. I am quite surprised by the number of headfiers selling their mint TOTL headphones, often after only a few weeks of ownership. Buyer’s remorse? Their misfortune, our gain.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #240 of 4,499

Thanks for the reply. I meant the 4pin XLR connector which the Stellia stock balanced cable has.
The Stellia comes with one balanced cable which has a 4pin XLR connector not ideal for portable use (too bulky to use with an adapter) ... with an AK player.
So I am looking for a cable maker who can modify the 4pin XLR to a 2.5mm balanced (and shorten the cable ... which is the easier part :) ). Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back