Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #182 of 4,488
How does it handle Metal like Dream Theater, Borealis and Steven Wilson? Has it the great Speed of Utopia with more oomph in the Midbass area?
I listened to these yesterday. They blew me away. I didn't even want to listen to stellia since it is closed back at first. But the guy in the shop insisted me to try. Holy s. This thing sounds good. I mean, good. It sounds more open than actual open utopia and it is very clean and clear(no pun intended.) Speed is great, texture is great, naturality is great, tons of true detail and sounds very smooth. Maybe smooth is not the correct word , but it's the opposite of forced sounding or too focused like utopia. Ah the word, glossy it is. Placement of instrument is neutral, closer than hd800s, farther than utopia. The sound is just there. It's maybe the first time the word 'reproduction' pop up in my head.
I haven't been shocked for a really long time. Last time was er4b on lisa3.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #183 of 4,488
I listened to metal and vocals. These may not have oomph in the mid bass but it sounds better than with it imo. The deeper region is very great. Because of that the bass does not affect the midrange, making it sounds a bit cleaner than it should probably. But the end result is really good.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #184 of 4,488
I listened to these yesterday. They blew me away. I didn't even want to listen to stellia since it is closed back at first. But the guy in the shop insisted me to try. Holy s. This thing sounds good. I mean, good. It sounds more open than actual open utopia and it is very clean and clear(no pun intended.) Speed is great, texture is great, naturality is great, tons of true detail and sounds very smooth. Maybe smooth is not the correct word , but it's the opposite of forced sounding or too focused like utopia. Ah the word, glossy it is. Placement of instrument is neutral, closer than hd800s, farther than utopia. The sound is just there. It's maybe the first time the word 'reproduction' pop up in my head.
I haven't been shocked for a really long time. Last time was er4b on lisa3.
the stellia didn't sound any more open, spacious or clearer than the utopia to my ears. it has less treble energy than the utopia. i heard it as warmer and more relaxed than the utopia. it has a smooth and inviting presentation that i'm drawn to in a closed-back headphone.

Feb 18, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #186 of 4,488
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #187 of 4,488
I put in about 45 mins on these yesterday and these are by and far my favorite Focals. I would throw my Elex out the window for these. They have 90 - 95% of the clarity of the Utopia with a more toned down high end. Yeah! They also have more bass which makes these HP's sound better balanced too. I will say the same thing I said in my show report......If I could get these for about the same discount as you can get on the Utopia, I would buy these. I can't say I am ready to buy a Utopia.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #189 of 4,488
If the Stellia are blunted in the treble, and bloated in the bass, versus the Utopia, then I will definitely adhere to the latter [which have never struck me as anything but purely listenable, musically honest and ultimately satisfying in the very upper and very lower registers].

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #190 of 4,488
the stellia's highs were attenuated compared to the utopia's to my ears. i found the stellia very appealing. well worth a listen imo.

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #191 of 4,488
I forgot what the Stellia sounded like to me, My main focus was over driving them and that didn't happen. That's a great thing. The comfort is phenomenal! I love the new leather and the headphones look awesome! If i were to buy a headphone to travel with, this would be them. But, my new goal and focus is out of the head sounds and Focal can't provide that.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #194 of 4,488
jude's fr measurements:

stellia [solid black line]
index.php

utopia [blue line]
8946632_thumb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back