Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 10, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,051 of 4,495
How does Stellia compare with Aeon Flow Closed?Considering their prices, Stellia should blow up AFC in terms of sound. Is this the case ?
I did compare them, too. The Stellia did not "blow up" the AFC, at least not, when the AFC is powered enough with a dedicated amp. BUT the Stellia does sound more refined. Enough for spending 2k more? That's what you need to decide.

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #1,052 of 4,495
I did compare them, too. The Stellia did not "blow up" the AFC, at least not, when the AFC is powered enough with a dedicated amp. BUT the Stellia does sound more refined. Enough for spending 2k more? That's what you need to decide.

I really want the learn more about this comparision, can you compare them in detail ? Thank you

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,053 of 4,495
How does Stellia compare with Aeon Flow Closed?Considering their prices, Stellia should blow up AFC in terms of sound. Is this the case ?

Peanut gallery comment here: In my experience the Stellia is more detailed with a better defined soundstage and smoother treble. I also happen to like the Stellia sound profile better, but that’s a personal preference. As Atahanuz said, the difference is there, but the law of diminishing returns is very much in evidence.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #1,054 of 4,495
Comparison im looking forward to is stellia vs zmf verite closed.

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,055 of 4,495
I really want the learn more about this comparision, can you compare them in detail ? Thank you
It was a very short audition, so I just can say I preferred the Stellia but it’s not a night and day difference. If you have got a good amp or dap with enough power then the AFC is a very good headphone for that price range. I didn’t listen to the Elear though, which is in the same price range. You might prefer the one over the other. It’s also a pairing thing I guess. You‘d have to AB them.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #1,057 of 4,495
If I was really going to push the boat out, and spend big on headphones. I am stuck between the Stellia and the Utopia. .. Probably going to end up with the Empyrean, or Focal Clear. Haha.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #1,058 of 4,495
If I was really going to push the boat out, and spend big on headphones. I am stuck between the Stellia and the Utopia. .. Probably going to end up with the Empyrean, or Focal Clear. Haha.

dont want to add to your torment, but the ZMF Verite Closed might be worth a listen before you make your mind up :wink:

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #1,061 of 4,495
If I bought the Utopia, I know I would end up buying a Moon Audio Black Dragon Utopia V2 cable. Adding another £400-£500 to the price.

If I bought the Stellia, I might be tempted to buy a slightly brighter cable. Although I doubt it. I am just not sure. It actually trailed through most of the review today, and very few mention Stellia treble. They all talk about the Stellia bass.

There was one or two reviews that mentioned the Stellia treble though, and they say it's crisp and clear. One mentioned treble air. Another said the treble was nicely balanced: no brightness or glare, while not being dull.

It's possibly probably what I am looking for. I have the AKG N5005, and I like their signature.

I'd like to be as neutral as possible, but lean slightly warmer if either way from neutral. (That's why I know I would end up buying another cable for the Utopia.) The slight dip around 8KHz on the Stellia gives me a little pause for thought though. How could you buy a cable to counteract that? Never going to happen.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #1,062 of 4,495
If I bought the Utopia, I know I would end up buying a Moon Audio Black Dragon Utopia V2 cable. Adding another £400-£500 to the price.

If I bought the Stellia, I might be tempted to buy a slightly brighter cable. Although I doubt it. I am just not sure. It actually trailed through most of the review today, and very few mention Stellia treble. They all talk about the Stellia bass.

There was one or two reviews that mentioned the Stellia treble though, and they say it's crisp and clear. One mentioned treble air. Another said the treble was nicely balanced: no brightness or glare, while not being dull.

It's possibly probably what I am looking for. I have the AKG N5005, and I like their signature.

I'd like to be as neutral as possible, but lean slightly warmer if either way from neutral. (That's why I know I would end up buying another cable for the Utopia.)

I had the AKG N5005 and love the sound sig but had to sell them due to fit.
I lover the Stellia even more yes the treble is crisp and well detailed and the bass is just bliss to my ears. I made a neotech pure silver cable which I think enhance both treble/bass.

Of course a good amp pairing helps get the most out of them :)

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #1,063 of 4,495
Did you listen to the Verite Closed?

yes but it was so so brief that i couldnt really form an opinion, other than the stage width was instantly impressive. I have had a good listen to the Verite Open and was very impressed. I've not really warmed to other ZMF headphones but these had an amazing natural tone, very dynamic, tones of detail with real 3D soundstage. Friends in who's ears i trust, who own or know the Stellia well and who've had a proper listen to the VC seem to think they're as good or better. Obviously need to have a proper listen, but if i was in the market now they'd definitely be right up there on my demo list.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #1,064 of 4,495
I had the AKG N5005 and love the sound sig but had to sell them due to fit.
I lover the Stellia even more yes the treble is crisp and well detailed and the bass is just bliss to my ears. I made a neotech pure silver cable which I think enhance both treble/bass.

Of course a good amp pairing helps get the most out of them :)

+1 for @BiggieBig 's assessment and for the Neotech Silver cable too, as well as adding great extension at both ends it also brings real weight, control and some extra depth to the presentation. I'm sure The black Dragon UPOCC copper cable sounds good, but it is expensive for what it is. I suspect they're using Neotech's UPOCC wire as they're one of the biggest suppliers to Hifi makers in the market. To give you an idea, the same cable with furutech Rhodium connector + real leemo connectors at the heaphone end, finished with the same high purity solder would cost you less $100 to make (depending on the length). Their Silver Dragon cable is better value for money and with UPOCC silver as this would cost from $250 to make the same cable. All of that said I do appreciate that most people dont want involved in DIY and there are a lot more expensive options than Moon's cables, not necessarily offering better performance. If you did decide to go the DIY route i'd be happy to help you choose the materials and to talk you through the build.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #1,065 of 4,495

I'd like to be as neutral as possible, but lean slightly warmer if either way from neutral. (That's why I know I would end up buying another cable for the Utopia.) The slight dip around 8KHz on the Stellia gives me a little pause for thought though. How could you buy a cable to counteract that? Never going to happen.

It is 2019 and people still think cables affect sound :frowning2: There isn't any sonic difference between cables so there isn't a thing like "Brighter cable" . Moon audio cables are the biggest scam ever :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back