Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 8, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #3,362 of 4,499
Personally, I don’t think you can get a true idea of changes, by listening now & again. How can you remember what it really sounded like the first time, or how many hours later & so on.
I agree 100% as per experience. Lucky me Im familiar how stellia sounds fully burned in and used it many times before I bought my set. As per my previous post before the recent one, last 2019 I have already unboxed, demoed and also compared the fully burned in Stellia. So yeah I agree Stellia really benifit to proper burn in. There’s 2 burn in...
1. Equipment burn in its like warming up before the actual race and
2. Mind burn in, like preparing and introducing the first hearing then adjusting to changes then getting used to the sound itself.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #3,363 of 4,499
I agree 100% as per experience. Lucky me Im familiar how stellia sounds fully burned in and used it many times before I bought my set. As per my previous post before the recent one, last 2019 I have already unboxed, demoed and also compared the fully burned in Stellia. So yeah I agree Stellia really benifit to proper burn in. There’s 2 burn in...
1. Equipment burn in its like warming up before the actual race and
2. Mind burn in, like preparing and introducing the first hearing then adjusting to changes then getting used to the sound itself.

Ah well, of course I wouldn’t know you’d experienced it previously. Anyway, enjoy !

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #3,364 of 4,499
I have owned the Stellia's for about a year, so the new glow bias has worn off. I still think they are awesome headphones. What makes them unique is their ability to make music sound like people playing instruments and/or singing, not some glossed over euphonic sound. For people that have never played an instrument or don't listen to live music, that's not a big deal. For anyone that has sat in an orchestra and heard how a brass section sounds or a violin sounds up close, it's a bigger deal. My only issue is the creakiness of the headband, mostly when handling it. When it's on my head, it's pretty silent.
This helpful person's fix for the Elegia also works for the Stellia. It didn't completely remove the creak from mine, but it's greatly reduced.

https://old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a2lkg1/creaky_focal_headband_try_a_dry_film_lubricant/

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #3,365 of 4,499

Interesting to see this change to a plastic covered cable, and yet the main cable is still the bloody awful cloth covered one. Methinks that Focal have too many components and items of a certain nature on their hands, and I'll wager that they are no longer ordering any cloth covered cables......but will still continue to sell the shockers until they run out. They appear to be dumping the Arche too, at least here in Oz. That either means there's a new model coming, or the Arche just isn't selling well in Australia and will be abandoned here. Latest sale price for the Arche a few weeks ago was AUD$1700 which is ~USD1200 atm. That's down from a RRP of AUD$3800. I seem to recall that in the sale a pair of Clears + an Arche was AUD$2200 (~USD1500), which is ridiculously good buying.

Rant on:
They should ditch the lot of the cloth jobs (what were they thinking in the first place???). It's true that with loud music you can't hear the microphonics, but between tracks or in quiet passages it is hideously intrusive. Where I notice it the most is when I'm watching some YouTube vids (like many others I am just discovering the sensational Snarky Puppy). So after one vid I can be sitting here looking through some stuff to see what I'll watch next, and with every tiny head movement I get microphonics hammering me. After a very short period (<20 seconds) I just have to take them off until I've found the next track I'm going to play.

For the money involved – and the superb quality of the Stellias, it is crazy aggravating and so easily solved with what is probably a cheaper material (plastic/silicone). I mean, uhhh, didn't anyone notice this during the R&D phase of the Stellias? Seems incredibly fundamental.
R&D meeting:
"Wow, that cloth looks fantastique with the Stellias!"
"Yeah, but it sounds like merde."
"So? It looks great, order 10,000."

Cut back on the leather boxes (!), and use some nice silicon covered cables.

When Meze had a sale on a little while ago I jumped on a short 2.5mm balanced cable for my DAP, and it's chalk and cheese for microphonics. It's also an immaculately behaved cable for coiling and straightening. Can't wait to order an Artic Signum soon(ish).

Rant off!

PS: If you like Fusion, and you haven't checked out Snarky Puppy "We Like it Here" live in a studio in Amsterdam, then follow that link. It's killer.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,367 of 4,499
I have been trying to consolidate my headphones. I'm almost down to just the Clear MG and Stellia. Got the stellia this morning. It's a lot to take in for sure. I actually went and A/B against my prior main closed back that I have which was the DT1770... yeah that wasn't a pretty comparison.

I was mostly concerned that the Stellia would be like a closed back Clear (but upgraded) but it's really something different that I haven't figured out in my limited listening. I was going to almost keep my Arya, and get rid of the MG but the MG and Stellia may be really good compliments.
I lIke both my Arya and Stellia.

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #3,368 of 4,499
i sometimes use my stellia with my Astell n Kern ak70 mark 2 with great results, volume goes to 150 and i play it around 110 with fantastic results. Not as good as my Bryston desktop amp but still very musical and a joy to listen to. edit- just noticed which daps u r using and you should have no problems with a stellia. enjoy
Stellia also sounds good on the m11 pro balanced and is also surprisingly good with a Btr5 balanced for portable solution.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #3,372 of 4,499
This song played on Roon radio and I am just super enjoying it with the Stellia!

Screenshot_20210415-213940_Roon.jpg

It's not in English.. But man. It is a pretty fun track to listen to. Love how the Stellia handles and presents the strong L, R and center image.

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3,373 of 4,499
Thanks, I referring to the posters previous comment about the new Focal MG’s, regards new glow bias. Thanks for your feedback regard the Stellia’s. They certainly do sound appealing & as I said I think I’ve only read positive feedback about them. Is there any hint of harshness at all, or congestion in the sound ? I assume not ??
There is zero congestion in the sound. One of the strengths of the Stellia is the detail and macro/micro dynamics. This applies even at low listening levels, which is incredibly unique as some other headphones don't open up until the volume is a bit too loud for me.

Some people have complained of some harshness but I don't hear it. I think it's dependent on your frame of reference. If you are used to or simply prefer the old-fashioned tube sound, then I can see how that could be the case. For those that are used to live music in a live space, I think Stellia's would suit them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back