Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 7, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #2,881 of 4,495
Figured.If you can spend up to $4000 get a dedicated Dac/Amp like Hugo 2/TT2/Arche e.t.c.I've found that Daps don't gel well with desktop Amps.As good as your Stellia sounds balanced from Sony you may not like the added character a desktop Amp will bring.I've found the same with many daps when combined with desktop amps,usually tonality and soundstage esp depth is off.Daps even high end are meant to be used alone.

I see, that's good to know. I saw another member amping their wm1z to a sony amp here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-new-sony-walkman-1z-1a-thread.944508/page-7#post-15961469

Do you think an amp from the same brand pair better?

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #2,882 of 4,495
I see, that's good to know. I saw another member amping their wm1a to a sony amp here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-new-sony-walkman-1z-1a-thread.944508/page-7#post-15961469

Do you think an amp from the same brand pair better?
Haven't heard it but usually yes.Each company has their own house sound and you will see many manufacturers having separate dacs and amps that work well together but sound weird when used with a different company,that's why it is good to audition first to see if you like the tonality.

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #2,883 of 4,495
$4k max tho I'd prefer not to spend that much, but if an amp is really worth I'd go for it. I'd rather not have them convert it to a XLR tbh since I just got the cable 2 days ago and I will be using it with my WM1Z when I am not at my desk.

Ah, I meant to get them to build you an adaptor; similar design to this, but matched to your current cable. So you don't modify your current cable at all.

XLR Adaptor.png

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #2,884 of 4,495
and if you have $4k for an amp; and are looking for a desktop one, then consider a Benchmark HPA4 or Headamp GSX MkII (or mini version)

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,885 of 4,495
I joined the glorious ranks of Stellia owners. Moved from DT 1990 / Mobius and while still breaking them in they show a great promise.
Auditioning them at the dealer was a slight disappointment and i almost left them at the shop (the source was kinda crap at the dealer). I´m running them with Khadas toneboard and SMSL SP200 and while they were just top notch for the Beyers i think i could compliment the Stellias a bit more. I have read ~140 pages of this thread and have learned that Hugo 2 and Arche are some of the top picks for an amp.

But is there anything considerable upgrade in ~1k€ price bracket or should one just bite the bullet and have one of the mentioned amps? I used to have Bottlehead crack and that sparked a love for the tubes, but it got sold with the HD600 (not that it would have been a great pair with Stellias i think)

I feel that the Stellias retrieve details in an absolutely fantastic level with my setup, but sound just a tad "flat" and not so engaging, at least for the time being.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20201107_195040.jpg
    thumbnail_20201107_195040.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #2,886 of 4,495
Haven't heard it but usually yes.Each company has their own house sound and you will see many manufacturers having separate dacs and amps that work well together but sound weird when used with a different company,that's why it is good to audition first to see if you like the tonality.

Makes sense, I forgot to consider synergy and it appears to be quite important.

Ty for the suggestions everyone, I will look into all of them as well.

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #2,887 of 4,495
One suggestion I have is instead of using a DAP, buy a streamer. I bought a Bluesound Node 2i and it perfectly streams Qobuz (up to 24/192) to my Arche over toslink or coax. The BluOS application that controls the Node 2i can work on a laptop, tablet or phone. I generally use my laptop or iphone.

Nov 7, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #2,888 of 4,495
I joined the glorious ranks of Stellia owners. Moved from DT 1990 / Mobius and while still breaking them in they show a great promise.
Auditioning them at the dealer was a slight disappointment and i almost left them at the shop (the source was kinda crap at the dealer). I´m running them with Khadas toneboard and SMSL SP200 and while they were just top notch for the Beyers i think i could compliment the Stellias a bit more. I have read ~140 pages of this thread and have learned that Hugo 2 and Arche are some of the top picks for an amp.

But is there anything considerable upgrade in ~1k€ price bracket or should one just bite the bullet and have one of the mentioned amps? I used to have Bottlehead crack and that sparked a love for the tubes, but it got sold with the HD600 (not that it would have been a great pair with Stellias i think)

I feel that the Stellias retrieve details in an absolutely fantastic level with my setup, but sound just a tad "flat" and not so engaging, at least for the time being.
FWIW: just bought the ifi Pro idsd and it is indeed very good with the Stellia’s...

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #2,891 of 4,495
Screenshot_20201108-193912_Roon.jpg

This album is great on the TC, but simply amazing on the Stellia! Love that low end rumble and punch and super clear highs! Oh, and the comfort.. Omg.. Sublime.

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #2,892 of 4,495
But is there anything considerable upgrade in ~1k€ price bracket or should one just bite the bullet and have one of the mentioned amps?

I've had the Burson Conductor 3X Performance (C3XP) about a month now. I have to say it has transformed my enjoyment of the Focal Utopia and Clear and I'm sure it will drive the Stellia just as beautifully. Look up some of the great reviews out on YouTube. At USD $1344, the C3XP is quite the price/performance deal as well.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #2,893 of 4,495
I've had the Focal Stellia for a week now and they are a definitive upgrade from my Clears. The comfort, the sound and the fact that these are closed mean that I can enjoy music more even when my kids are playing on the background.
It really is an amazing feat that they accomplished with these!

Next on my radar will be some cables since the originals can be microphonic. I am running the Stellias from Chord Mojo and I really love how they sound.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #2,894 of 4,495
I bought my Auris Nirvana for a little under $4000 used. It is spectacular with the Stellia.

Nov 8, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,895 of 4,495
Yep but it not show Stellia full potential.
:wink: I am very happy now, but maybe I still have something in store for the future.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back